Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneakySniper179
Dec 3, 2020
I think it's one of the greatest books ever written. Cormac Mccarthy is one of the best writers to touch ink to paper. What do you think about the book. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do so.

The story is a nightmarish journey though the old west after the Mexican american war. There is countless act of brutality and insane dialogs from one of the main characters "The Judge" if you have never read it I suggest picking it up.

The audiobook and pdf can both be found on the pirate bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

mccarthy is the only author I know of whose descriptions of landscapes are compelling reading. I also like that when he picks a word, it is the most applicable word in the english language for describing the thing he is describing

SneakySniper179
Dec 3, 2020

The Voice of Labor posted:

mccarthy is the only author I know of whose descriptions of landscapes are compelling reading. I also like that when he picks a word, it is the most applicable word in the english language for describing the thing he is describing

I disagree. He has a beautiful way of describing violence and it's relation in the human condition. That's what he is truly good at. It's seen in every book. Mostly blood meridian and the road.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it's the most haunting book that I've ever read

That last scene with the bear makes me sad sometimes :smithcloud:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

SneakySniper179 posted:

I disagree. He has a beautiful way of describing violence and it's relation in the human condition. That's what he is truly good at. It's seen in every book. Mostly blood meridian and the road.

if you were to do a word count on blood meridian, like, 1/4 of the book is spent descibing rocks and landslides.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
It's good, but it's not the life-changing, transcendent experience that the internet seems to think that it is.

SneakySniper179
Dec 3, 2020

Paddyo posted:

It's good, but it's not the life-changing, transcendent experience that the internet seems to think that it is.

It was to me. Out of all the novel I have read it's one of the few that has really stuck with me.

SneakySniper179
Dec 3, 2020

Professor Shark posted:

I think it's the most haunting book that I've ever read

That last scene with the bear makes me sad sometimes :smithcloud:

"He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Paddyo posted:

I suspect that a reader's reaction to it has something to do with how much thinking they've already done on the idea of the nature of evil and the human condition, and how much you agree with McCarthy's specific take on the answer to those questions. He's got a developed opinion presented compellingly, and if you either agree with it or it's the first time seeing some of those debates it can be really galvanizing. I don't think you can argue that the prose isn't world-class, so if you pair that with ideas that are interesting to you then it can be a powerful read.

Personally, I really like the different thinking represented by the Judge in Blood Meridian and Chigurh in No Country for Old Men - the two characters to me illustrate the idea of entropy/chaos/destruction/evil as a fundamental part of the human experience and fundamental to human nature versus the idea of it as a conscious decision made by people who may use an appeal to universal laws to justify their behavior but at the end of the day are just people being assholes. The first idea is fun to read about but to me is just bullshit nihilism, I consider the second more accurate and it's interesting to me that McCarthy's take seems to have softened between the two books - and then you get to the Road where there's arguably room for humans to be noble or positive in some way. He seems to be getting slowly more positive about humanity over time (although on his best day he's still got a bleak fuckin view of the human condition).

Notahippie fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 16, 2021