Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I force university students to play it every year at camp and it actually goes pretty well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finally set up clone hero with my drums and 360 guitar but until last week the only thing I kept my 360 plugged in for was Rock Band 3, the greatest game (especially with customs).

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Stupid questions: I remembered that I have my disk copy of MGS4 on PS3 and the MGS HD collection for PS3 purchased on my PSN account. So...
1) If I pickup a stock PS3 can I still log on to my PSN account an download purchased games?
2) If I were to pick up a console with CFW installed can I DL purchased games from PSN? Would I risk banning my account and losing the account I use with my PS5?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Stupid questions: I remembered that I have my disk copy of MGS4 on PS3 and the MGS HD collection for PS3 purchased on my PSN account. So...
1) If I pickup a stock PS3 can I still log on to my PSN account an download purchased games?
2) If I were to pick up a console with CFW installed can I DL purchased games from PSN? Would I risk banning my account and losing the account I use with my PS5?

1) Yes. The option is somewhere in the account settings under the PSN section.

2) If you install the right CFW it comes with a safety feature that will disable PSN logins until you deactivate the stuff that can trigger a ban. I would still personally not risk losing an account with a lot of purchases that I currently use on a PS5 though.

You can softmod all fat, most slim, and maybe some of the super slim models yourself, so don't pay out the rear end for a pre-modded system unless you're really unable to computer hard enough to do it yourself. (I don't recommend getting a super slim because last I checked they can't use actual CFW and the mods available to those models are way more limited.)

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I wouldn’t trifle with connecting to PSN at all on an actively used account associated with newer systems. No one seems to have ever confirmed how/what triggers a ban and Sony is still doing it AFAIK. If you install CFW then you can just use something like NoPayStation to get the installer PKGs straight from Sony’s CDN and the licenses should be associated with your account anyways.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you're going to cfw just download the games from nps/pkg yeah. You own them anyway and then you don't have to even consider the hypothetical ban

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

emSparkly posted:

1) Yes. The option is somewhere in the account settings under the PSN section.

2) If you install the right CFW it comes with a safety feature that will disable PSN logins until you deactivate the stuff that can trigger a ban. I would still personally not risk losing an account with a lot of purchases that I currently use on a PS5 though.

You can softmod all fat, most slim, and maybe some of the super slim models yourself, so don't pay out the rear end for a pre-modded system unless you're really unable to computer hard enough to do it yourself. (I don't recommend getting a super slim because last I checked they can't use actual CFW and the mods available to those models are way more limited.)

Thanks! Is softmodding as easy as going to a link in the console browser like on the Vita back in the day? If so could I jump back and forth between stock and cfw? I have a line on a trade for a cfw slim just unsure if I should bother reflashing it to stock.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Thanks! Is softmodding as easy as going to a link in the console browser like on the Vita back in the day? If so could I jump back and forth between stock and cfw? I have a line on a trade for a cfw slim just unsure if I should bother reflashing it to stock.

These days yes, there's a site you go to and it takes care of everything. I don't know if the actual ps3xploit site is up right now, but you can always find a mirror or host it yourself if you know how. This guy makes really easy to follow tutorials on modding the PS3 and getting stuff installed on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suM4dUAYUPE

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
RIP to my PS3 superslim, went to boot it and discovered that it will now only output video at 480p, with flashing static all over the screen. I’ve barely even used it, guess I should’ve unplugged it while it was sitting idle.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Compared to the original Xbox, I've always had somewhat of a grudge against the 360, right from the beginning:

The overly busy/loud branding.
Slapping Apple-esque curves all over the design.
Thin casing that feels like it'll crack if you pick it up the wrong way.
Never got the Blades dashboard hype. Always felt to me the polar opposite of streamlined/intuitive.
Did a bigger store and achievements really necessitate bloating the dashboard?
Eschewing the built-in hard drive, meaning games couldn't be designed around the caching function.
Initially featuring an inferior (tighter) breakaway controller cable before dropping it completely.
As vitriolic as Game Chat was, I'll take people talking in games over the silence introduced with Party Chat.
DVD drive is paired to the motherboard, so can't install a better one without modding.
R.I.P. custom soundtracks.

Late, but I ripped slipknots the gray chapter to the drive and listened to it repeatedly while playing black flag?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Late, but I ripped slipknots the gray chapter to the drive and listened to it repeatedly while playing black flag?

360 still has a media player in the dashboard, but since the hard drive is optional, in-game custom soundtracks became less common (though apparently some games still used them). When using the dashboard player, the music doesn't pause with the game, doesn't change tracks when you restart/change levels, doesn't turn off on menu screens, doesn't integrate with in-game radio stations, etc.

On the other hand though, it does allow you to listen to custom music with any game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So I just pulled apart my super slim to clean and repaste it, but after putting it back together everything works except the disc drive. Is there some sensor in the super slim that might make it think the door isn't closed because everything's properly connected inside, it's just not spinning up drives at all.

It's so quiet running games off the drive though now holy poo poo my PC is louder.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
My PS3 retro fighters defender (bluetooth edition) should be here today. I've had a hard time finding a decent PS3 controller that supports all of the sixaxis / pressure sensitive button stuff since the Dualshock 3 was terrible and mine are all broken now.

I'm hoping this one works out. I've heard pretty good things, so we will see how it goes.

On the 360 front I've been trying to get the games that are not playable on newer consoles and my PGR 3 copy also gets here today, so I'm going to have a real dilemma about what I mess around with first.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Substandard posted:

My PS3 retro fighters defender (bluetooth edition) should be here today. I'm hoping this one works out. I've heard pretty good things, so we will see how it goes.

Keep us posted. Finding more reliable controller options is something I and likely others here want to know more about.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I still have 2 working DS3s, had to clean one to prevent random button presses and the other one is due for the same treatment.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I unfortunately don't have a working DS3 controller anymore to compare it to, but the Retro Fighters defender (bluetooth edition) is pretty good. sixaxis works, it has rumble, pressure sensitive buttons work. The analog sticks are slightly closer together than a real DS3, which may annoy some people but I found it OK for my hands. The face buttons likewise are slightly closer together / smaller than DS4 buttons. You can turn the system on with the home button after the initial pairing. It seems to work fine with PS1 / PS2 games on the PS3 as well. I haven't messed around with the "turbo" functionality or anything yet, so I cant speak to that.

The things I really like about it are the things that are not similar to a real DS3 (which I am on the record of thinking is one of the worst controllers).

It has concave sticks instead of the original convex raised design of the DS3 thumbstick. They are switch sized, so they are a little smaller than a DS4, but it's easier to keep your hands on them I think. I also like the trigger design much better and the D-pad seems quite good in my initial test.

It feels kind of cheap / light compared to a DS4, but functionally I have no real complaints so far. I wouldn't buy one for PS4 use because I like the DS4, but I do think it's better than the stock PS3 controller.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
My wife wants to buy me a modded 360 for valentines. Where/who should I buy from? Anything to look for? Trying to spend like $150

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"The red ring symbolizes our never ending love."

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

imagine the sweet romance of poetry. of you and your betrothed sitting in diffeent rooms yelling slurs at each other through xbox microphones

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

The Automator posted:

My wife wants to buy me a modded 360 for valentines. Where/who should I buy from? Anything to look for? Trying to spend like $150

If you get a fat you need to get a Jasper chip set. It's the first one that wasn't prone to red rings. I know I have a MW2 360 that used it, and there is a list of all the models, that used the newer chipset.

In general it is probably easier to avoid fat 360s though

Substandard fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 3, 2024

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Speaking of, if one mods a 360 (idk what mods it has) can one restore the Blades dash and still play all games?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Substandard posted:

If you get a fat you need to get a Jasper chip set. It's the first one that wasn't prone to red rings. I know I have a MW2 360 that used it, and there is a list of all the models, that used the newer chipset.

In general it is probably easier to avoid fat 360s though

Yeah, I’ve got a first model still, no hdmi port. It’s gonna die at some point, so I want a new one and might as well get it modded.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Hey guys, was gonna ask this in the xbox thread but with the lols going round at the moment i didnt want people thinking i was doing a bit.

Anyway i was thinking about getting one of the newer 360s, i think they were called E or something, not the slim one but the one that looks like a xbox one? And i had some questions, its to replace my very loud og 360 arcade system, this is one with no hdmi and it has, i think 13gb hdd and no wifi.

I know the newer one as hdmi but it has wifi too right? Would this still have a problem connecting to my newer router? (Current one just wouldnt connect, but ps3 does fine which makes me think its the cable) also can i transfer the contents of the 13gb hdd to the newer one with that transfer cable or do i need something else cos the system design is different? I havent been able to update the old 360 for like 9 years at this point either. But with the store and poo poo shutting down, are they still allowing gaming updates and the like?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vikar Jerome posted:

Hey guys, was gonna ask this in the xbox thread but with the lols going round at the moment i didnt want people thinking i was doing a bit.

Anyway i was thinking about getting one of the newer 360s, i think they were called E or something, not the slim one but the one that looks like a xbox one? And i had some questions, its to replace my very loud og 360 arcade system, this is one with no hdmi and it has, i think 13gb hdd and no wifi.

I know the newer one as hdmi but it has wifi too right? Would this still have a problem connecting to my newer router? (Current one just wouldnt connect, but ps3 does fine which makes me think its the cable) also can i transfer the contents of the 13gb hdd to the newer one with that transfer cable or do i need something else cos the system design is different? I havent been able to update the old 360 for like 9 years at this point either. But with the store and poo poo shutting down, are they still allowing gaming updates and the like?

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/xbox-360/store/xbox-360-marketplace-update

Short version is the X360 storefront is dying, not the backend API for the X360 network. That means game and OS updates still work, you just can't buy new games. Interestingly, if you buy anything compatible in the more modern Xboxes (Or just online in the Xbox app) that'll run on an X360/Xbox Original that was in the marketplace, it'll be visible and downloadable there even after the storefront's shut down.

You can indeed also transfer your Xbox HDD to the Model E with the transfer cable (One end plugs into the detached HDD, the other goes in a USB port on the new Xbox) and it does have built-in wifi. Alternatively you can also just backup everything to the Cloud and download on the new one after the fact.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

The later 360s do work with a modern router but only on 2.4ghz, so you'll need to enable that band in the network settings. My 360 S is connected that way. Else it should work just fine on a wired connection.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
I got a 360 Wireless Racing Wheel, but in the likes of Dirt 2 and PGR4 I'm oversteering like crazy and the wheel is spinning itself and buzzing near-constantly. I want to know if my wheel is broken, or if the wheel just isn't good. Can anyone speak to whether this is normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If it’s the one I’m thinking of the buzzing isn’t normal but the wheel being overly sensitive is. That thing was real bad, but very cool.