Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello

I created this thread because I own:

a intel mac
a apple silicon mac

and I would like to play some games on it. I am not looking for anything intensive but wondering if any of you other mac owners have ever played anything on your computers that are worth playing and dont run like garbo

thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Good fuckin luck. Nearly all the MacOS games in my Steam library don't run on 10.15 and up because they have some 32-bit poo poo that has to run. Does your intel Mac have discrete graphics (your M1 Mac doesn't)? If it does, you can bootcamp it for some games.

As for games... go to GOG and look for old DOS based poo poo. Those will usually work.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 16, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah thats what I was running into also, no 32 bit support. I read that Pillars of Eternity 2 works but you have to sit through a literal 3 hour load time upon first boot up.

Bootcamp is a idea though, I could do that

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

When I was stuck with a 2017 MacBook Pro I loaded up bootcamp and played games that way. It had a discrete card but still had to run a lot of things at 720 resolution for performance. Also download something like Speedfan to crank up the fans if needed otherwise you'll get freezes and reboots from overheating.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
A bunch of years ago I used ports from this website https://portingkit.com/ with a Macbook Pro from 2013, its basically just using Wine but I found the stuff there to be pretty reliable even if sometimes it required tweaking. My favorites were Gothic 1 & 2,Silent Storm S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Fallout: New Vegas, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (might not be on there but its easy enough to get working with Wine on your own), Arcanum and 7.62 High Calibre (a great janky squad level tactics game you can buy from Steam for 5 bucks).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to check that out dang thanks

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'm going to check that out dang thanks

You may run into issues with that because I don’t think a lot of the stuff there has been updated with newer versions of WINE. Good luck regardless

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I had zero luck lmao.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
FF14 has a mac port

I think Path of Exile has a guide somewhere on how to get it running with WINE as well

it's a bad scene man, you are mostly going to be restricted to indie games and big MMOs trying to capture as many people as possible

but hey there's always Battle for Wesnoth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hey what are some computer exclusive strategy/war games I can play on my M1 Air? I’ve been curious about Hearts of Iron 4. I’ve never played those but I’ve got the historical war game itch. Is there anything like AoE or Red Alert, just some good rts games I can play vs the AI like in The Old Days?