Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I just bought a server to lab on at home. 192GB ram, 4x 500g SSD, 6x 1.2g SAS, dual 14 core E5 Xeon v4 processors.

I am going to do hyper-v as a bare metal hypervisor, and run a domain controller on windows server 2019 essentials. I want to do things like run a webapp, host TFS for internal git, taskboards, and a build server, one or a few instances of sql, etc. How should I set this up to make the best use of the space? Anyone have any ideas of how big the various VMs should run, or any roles that I would need in order to set things up properly? How should I configure and use the disks so they're properly utilized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
I've run a few VMware systems but not much Hyper-V so I might have a bit of a different view.

Something like a Dell R730xd could handle that hardware pretty easily, would let it all fit into a 2u shape and let you control how loud the fans are. For the disks I lean towards having hardware RAID arrays but others will also suggest software solutions I'm guessing. I'd do RAID5 on both pools, SSDs and HDDs. For resources allocated to each VM, might be good to look at documentation on how to build the services out to see what they suggest.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I ended up using the Server2019 Core Hyper-V OS on bare metal. I bought essentials, but when installed I realized it only recognized 64gb memory so I had to take that off. It's now running a VM for a DC + all the other assorted roles (im not buying multiple copies of server for a lab... yet).

The VMs are all going on the SSD raid-5 array, then I created Fileshare roots on the Raid-5 SAS array which I'm now connecting to on the various VMs so they have access to the larger, slower bulk storage.

The actual machine is an R630 with a PERC 730 Mini storage controller.