Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

commando in tophat posted:

https://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

When you see the sun, press "C" in lower right to travel at speed of light. Real fun place this space

I've been to this link quite a few times.

Each time, I think to myself "let's just get to Mercury scrolling" then realize that this poo poo is loving wild all over again :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

When you see the sun, press "C" in lower right to travel at speed of light. Real fun place this space

That's nuts, thanks.

We're going to crash into another galaxy someday, and by "we" I mean "the dust that used to be us"

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

This thing manages to make light speed feel excruciatingly slow, relatively. Gonna let it run and see how long it takes light to reach Pluto.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
When your mom sits around the virgo supercluster she really sits around the virgo supercluster.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

bradzilla posted:

This thing manages to make light speed feel excruciatingly slow, relatively. Gonna let it run and see how long it takes light to reach Pluto.

Good luck! Unless I hosed up somewhere, it should take 4-7 hours.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

they say the speed of light is like walking

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Man with Hat posted:

This is what the solar system looks like in scale. It's pretty big and empty

Disappointed they didn't specify Earth's size as 1x the size of Earth

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Obliterati posted:

Disappointed they didn't specify Earth's size as 1x the size of Earth

Also bothered by the fact that they're saying that if A's diameter is 9 times B's, that A is 9 times larger than B. Jupiter's way more than 11 times larger than Earth. It's over 1300 times larger than Earth.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

There was an SCP where some hippies in the fifties fly a van into space to get to Alpha Centauri. They think it'll be a four hour trip since they're going over eighty miles an hour, and then two months later they're dying of scurvy and only just passing the moon. I liked that one.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
big fan of huge stars, like look at this poo poo cmon

even then UY Scuti is pretty small compared to space! but if you put it where our sun is it'd extend out past saturn and that rules

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Space is actually very small, it just looks big because there is so much of it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

space is fuckin huge

one thing (out of a billion) I don't understand, where does gravity come from? I've heard "graviton" but is that still theoretical at this point?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

actionjackson posted:

space is fuckin huge

one thing (out of a billion) I don't understand, where does gravity come from? I've heard "graviton" but is that still theoretical at this point?

Looks like graviton is still hypothetical only. Probably the deforming of space-time by mass is still a thing. Picture that image of balls on canvas or something (or better yet GIS "gravity"). No idea how that works, but I'm dumb, so no surprise :shrug:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

actionjackson posted:

space is fuckin huge

There is no working theory of quantum gravity. If you treat gravity as a field and try to quantize it, you wind up with gravitons, just like if you quantize the electromagnetic field you wind up with photons. But if you do this, and try calculate any interactions of these gravitons, your calculations blow up and you wind up with infinities you can't get rid of. This is an indication that you probably don't get to a working theory of quantum gravity by simply trying to quantize gravity.

In relativity, gravity results from the shape of spacetime. The presence of mass curves spacetime, and things traveling through space travel along the shortest possible paths in that curved spacetime.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Gravity is down

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Bloody posted:

Gravity is down

drat I've been playing Kerbal wrong this whole time!

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

actionjackson posted:

space is fuckin huge

Gravity is how we experience the warping of spacetime by any object with mass.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Space is only noise if you can see.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DamnCanadian posted:

Gravity is how we experience the warping of spacetime by any object with mass.

Warping in what way?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Warping in what way?

Topologically. Space-time where mass (or energy, or a field) is nearby is no longer flat, it becomes curved, and objects in free-fall follow geodesics in that curved volume of space. From our point of view, those straight-line paths in spacetime appear to be things like orbits in space. The relationship between mass and this curvature it inflicts upon the structure of spacetime is described by the Einstein field equations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Stuff moves in what it experiences as straight lines. We are under different conditions, so we see those straight lines instead as curved lines that match how we'd see that stuff move if there was a force called gravity.

P.S. please don't ask about distant stars or we end up right back at luminiferous aether.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
OK but how does this curvature of space time affect the orbits of say 3 or more bodies?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

OK but how does this curvature of space time affect the orbits of say 3 or more bodies?

I’m sure what you mean. In a sense, this is like asking “how does the slope of this hill affect the path of the ball rolling down it?” The bodies are in free fall, they’re following shortest-distance paths through the curved background of spacetime, and those shortest-distance paths *are* the orbits. And since the bodies are massive and their masses then distort spacetime as they move, the shortest-distance paths continually change.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
what if space is tiny and we're just really really tiny? what now, genius?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Lamebot posted:

We know that at least one individual on planet Earth cannot be tiny, and must in fact be extremely fat.
Bam! How does it feel to be defeated by ur mom?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lamebot posted:

Ooo yeah what if we're subatomic particles in a macrouniverse

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUF5esTscZI

I thought this was a neat way to talk about how space is large but not really I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Topologically. Space-time where mass (or energy, or a field) is nearby is no longer flat, it becomes curved, and objects in free-fall follow geodesics in that curved volume of space. From our point of view, those straight-line paths in spacetime appear to be things like orbits in space. The relationship between mass and this curvature it inflicts upon the structure of spacetime is described by the Einstein field equations.

Is there an understandable explanation for why gravity-mass and momentum-mass are always the same (are they?)

e: I found this page: https://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/gravinertia.htm
The colour scheme makes me think it's legit and it starts out promising, and claims to have explained it in the conclusion, but I got a bit lost along the way. There's lots of bits I don't get, like why these space-time waves don't dissipate or why they don't move at different velocities

distortion park fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 27, 2021