Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

tensai posted:

I cant believe it took this long for someone to say SC2. This is still probably my favorite game of all time. Enough so that I even enjoyed the newest remake, because there is seriously no games like star control. Please correct me if I'm missing some genre of games hidden from me since 1995.

Nah, but it's Larry Niven's Known Space but a videogame, so you may enjoy some of his work if you loved SC2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

DarkDobe posted:

Also a shoutout to the fallen and oft forgotten Shattered Horizon, an awesome realistic space-man shooter game that nobody played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJxTVZKxl9E

This was really cool when people were playing it. Like most indie multiplayer games it died in an eyeblink, but I'm glad it existed.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Three pages in and not a single mention of the Space Quest series. Tsk, tsk.

(Alpha Centauri was good, too.)

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
I-war 2.

I cannot belive we got this far without a mention.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Do you mean AI-War 2? Because it does, indeed, own.
I especially like this:

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I know it had a horrid release, but No Mans Sky has gotten pretty good with all the updates theyve had.

Ive also enjoyed most of the Master of Orion series, Stellaris, StarCraft, and Descent. Not quite sure where to draw the line on Space games, but scifi and space is my favorite theme.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I have two more "good" space games people might like to try.

Haegemonia, which had an Earth/Mars war before the Expanse made it cool.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/294770/Haegemonia_Legions_of_Iron/

Genesis Rising - A game about giant organic space ships which a pretty fash theocratic human race uses to enslave aliens and get the McGuffin.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3230/Genesis_Rising/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Powered Descent posted:

Even after 22 years, no one has ever topped Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. (It's like Civ, but caters to a slightly different flavor of nerd.)

It physically angers me that nobody has just done a straight update of this game with better AI and graphics and keeping everything else exactly the same. There was Beyond Earth, and it sucked.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Space Empires 4

I'm likely looking back on it through rose-tinted glasses, but I poured a stupid number of hours into this game as a teenager. It didn't really do anything exceptional beyond just being a solid 4X at the time of its release and offering a great platform for modding.

Unfortunately, Space Empires 5 was mediocre and the developer's website is stuck in the 1990s.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DarkDobe posted:

Also a shoutout to the fallen and oft forgotten Shattered Horizon, an awesome realistic space-man shooter game that nobody played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJxTVZKxl9E

Shattered Horizon was incredible, and I am so glad that I was there for its launch. The game was at its best before they pivoted to aping other class based shooters, and had just one gun.

The feeling when you turned off your suit and just floated in silence, watching a firefight from a distance was something else.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Twerk from Home posted:

The feeling when you turned off your suit and just floated in silence, watching a firefight from a distance was something else.
not exactly "in silence" but:

I picked up Everspace 2 and let me tell you, once I assigned a key for the inertial dampener toggle and switched to first-person and increased the FoV from 75 (no wonder i was getting wrecked by drones that just get nearby and stay there hitting you) I've been having a pretty good time!

It's so Early Access that all the kinda garbo interstitial RPG interaction "cinematics" and the photo mode have "THIS IS EARLY ACCESS" etc plastered around, but that does seem fair

but i do appreciate that the fast travel mechanic is actually traveling fast and distance is measured in light seconds until you get within ~300,000 KM

also i don't know how they did it but you can get from launching the game to launching your ship in less than 10 seconds (if on SSD) which is very impressive and probably won't last to release whereupon they'll have a poo poo-ton of ads for the various bits and pieces of the engine

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 25, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

That said: Everspace 2 is a single player space game with loving MOBA mechanics and I hate it for that.

Let me just pew pew at things in space instead of needing to monitor ability cooldowns you assholes

I powered through to the second system on spite alone against that boss fight

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Endless Space 2 is the perfect companion on a secondary monitor while you telework on your main screen. "Just one turn before going to that meeting that should have been an email."

The possibility to custom design your race with many different mechanics is great!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Horsebanger posted:

Haegemonia, which had an Earth/Mars war before the Expanse made it cool.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/294770/Haegemonia_Legions_of_Iron/

This is one of my favorite "bad games". I say this because every object that existed when I loaded game was invisible, available research run out of screen IIRC, unit cap was pretty low, and AI in campaign could build ships as fast I could destroy them. I remember sitting near enemy planet with my whole fleet and it kept spitting out ships so fast I could barely attack planet itself. I also seem to remember that background was obviously sphere centered not on camera, but camera's focus point. I guess it had plenty of eurojank.
But it had that something that made it awesome for me

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Arach posted:

I-war 2.

I'd completely forgotten about this game. I played the hell out it long, long ago and just loved that it actually had, like, newtonian flight and I'm pretty sure you could even fly between systems/planets without the hyperdrive or whatever if you were willing to spend the time. Still looks pretty decent for a game made in 2001, too.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
ok I'll say it, Mass Effect is an all time favorite space game for me and I'm excited for the remastered version that's coming out soonish

and I never played but gotta have Moonbase Alpha just for this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
There's a really cool game that takes place on Mars's moons called Doom.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

I'd completely forgotten about this game. I played the hell out it long, long ago and just loved that it actually had, like, newtonian flight and I'm pretty sure you could even fly between systems/planets without the hyperdrive or whatever if you were willing to spend the time. Still looks pretty decent for a game made in 2001, too.

Great art design, at least in the cockpit. Character designs were very 90s space sim unfortunately.

Not much to add to this thread that hasn't been said, except that Freespace 2 is an evergreen game, even though it's very very unrealistic. The last hurrah of firebrained, turn-and-burn arcade space sim shootin' for a decade+, until Star Wars Squadrons (which is...alright, but I don't really care for the IP much).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's kerbals

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

it's a spsce game

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'd kill for Freespace 3 in the Squadrons engine.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Earth and Beyond

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Besides Elite and Stellaris, I keep coming back to Astroneer for the very boring reason of I like exploring the caverns and lighting them up with tethers.

I also just started playing Halcyon 6 Lights peed Edition based on a friend's recommendation, and it's pretty dang fun.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Right now I have Stellaris, Surviving Mars, and Rimworld (space-ish) in my "currently playing" Steam library and lil' old' Percy has me interested in Kerbal again. This all means nothing, because parenthood has magically changed my sleep pattern from "can't fall asleep before 1AM no matter what" to "can't stay awake ever."

Games I liked back in the day: SimEarth and Microsoft Space Simulator. Giving the latter a modern-day remake on par with the resources poured into Flight Simulator... :flashfap:

Elite: Dangerous looks fun, until I remember that it's really more like Elite: Perfectly Safe from Other Players.

I used to play (c. 2000) an old MMO called Jumpgate that was a good mix of sim-style controls and an Eve-style sandbox. The dev team and player base were pretty small so it lacked a lot of the depth of Eve, but the controls were pretty cool. If Eve is "submarines in space," this was... ice skaters in space, maybe? There was friction but you had to account for inertia in your maneuvering. If you were trying to dock a freighter full of heavy commodities and didn't want to be a juicy target for 5+ minutes as you waddled to the docking ring, you had to scream in towards the station, then flip over many kilometers out and burn in reverse, then time your boost pack to kill your velocity right as you reached the docking ring.

The major faults were a general lack of depth (ship selection, economy, universe size in particular). The economy, for example, was entirely NPC based with a limited supply and demand model. There would be organized farms of high value-to-volume commodities that basically resulted in a server-wide truce so that everyone could afford PvP combat losses without having to do the even more-boring PvE. The concept could be a great game with a modern engine and better resources.

Basically: I want sim-style controls and an Eve-level sandbox, but in a way that doesn't require you to have a zillion alts to be competitive. Also a horse. A colorful one with a horn growing out of its forehead that farts glitter.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm making a space game. It involves Newtonian physics. It has a hex grid. I don't yet know if it's good though so I can't say if it's a favorite.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Space Haven - isometric spaceship building/management/exploration game with some solid atmospherics simulation and neat mechanics.

Haven't played it in a hot minute but they were trucking ahead adding plenty of features still last I looked.
Very chill and relaxing, and if you don't want to stress you can bypass most if not all of the 'survival' aspects that make it difficult and just build stuff.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979110/Space_Haven/

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Does anybody remember Astro Empires?

It was pretty big on the forums in 2007-2009 and we even had up to four separate guilds (GOON, FYAD, GBS, and BYOB) wreaking havoc and trolling pubbies. It was a dumb little spreadsheet space colony war game with no real graphics to speak of, but it became pretty fun thanks to goons loving with other guilds and falling into roles like colonizers, diplomats, and muscle.

It looks like it's actually still around and has graphics now.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 26, 2021

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I play a lot of elite dangerous. I lose a lot of my screenshots though. Here's a picture of a cool planet and star I visited (Hen 2-23)

https://twitter.com/SilverAlicorn/status/1303061792067735552?s=20

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Prolly my most anticipated KS backing for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=musvPt93VKY

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Space Empires 4

I'm likely looking back on it through rose-tinted glasses, but I poured a stupid number of hours into this game as a teenager. It didn't really do anything exceptional beyond just being a solid 4X at the time of its release and offering a great platform for modding.

Unfortunately, Space Empires 5 was mediocre and the developer's website is stuck in the 1990s.

I had the deluxe version in a nice big box. AI was easy to exploit. Once I could open and close my own jump points the game was over. Still very enjoyable and a really good example of modability.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
MoO2 was definitely my goto game.

I loved being able to design the ships and actually have proper tactical combat. I lost interest in Stellaris because the ship combat was effectively rock-paper-scissors on the main map.

Only four things that the game needs to be playable today.

Bigger Map (I want 1000s of stars)
More Aliens
Better modding support
More than 2 or 3 generic ship designs.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Space Station 13 :getin:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Poopelyse posted:

ok I'll say it, Mass Effect is an all time favorite space game for me and I'm excited for the remastered version that's coming out soonish

and I never played but gotta have Moonbase Alpha just for this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

I came here to make this exact post.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
I’d say it’s more of a simulator than a game, but I’ve always enjoyed Orbiter. It’s supposedly the most realistic space flight simulator, plus it’s free!

I haven’t tried Kerbal, so I can’t compare.

e: link

DamnCanadian fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 21, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nthing the Stellaris recommendation - you can actually get it and a bunch of expansions in a humble bundle right now, actually.

The music alone is excellent.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arach posted:

I-war 2.

I played the original and loved it. I had a force feedback joystick back then and absolutely loved how firing the guns or taking hits would make the joystick twitch.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Nthing the Stellaris recommendation - you can actually get it and a bunch of expansions in a humble bundle right now, actually.

The music alone is excellent.
And there are an absolute poo poo-ton of mods to add in music from other space games like FTL, Halo, ME

Hell, there's a Blade Runner Music Pack that is basically just the entire soundtracks of the original and 2049. There are currently 1,169 sound mods and somewhere around half probably add music in some way.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
System Shock 2*. Survival shooter RPG set on an expeditionary starship on which things have gone horribly wrong. Very enjoyable gameplay and story, I just played through it again a few weeks ago, and the modding community has been able to sand down most of its rougher edges to boot. Also, it was one of Ken Levine's (of Bioshock fame) early projects, and the similarities between SS2 and his later games are readily apparent. I would kill for a System Shock game made with a Bioshock-level team and budget oh wait they did, it's the 2017 Prey and it's also great.

*System Shock 1 is also supposed to be excellent, and there's an enhanced edition that makes it playable on modern systems and rearranges the control scheme to something sensible. I haven't played it myself, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Guest2553 posted:

Space Station 13 :getin:

Did they ever get around to updating the graphics for a more 3D or a isometric version? I love the idea of it but kinda wish for better graphics.

I think there was a space empire game that felt like a mix of being a governor for the Imperium of Man / the Galactic Empire from the Foundation series where the Empire is slowly collapsing and you're just trying to make do with conflicting directives from on high and technology that you can't replace slowly blinking out, that sounded kinda cool.

The problem I find with Stellaris and to a lesser extent Civ games is that the game lacks a challenging late/end game if you snowball, and I wish there was a game that slowly started adding that kind of "fall and decline" mechanics to the game once you reached your peak.