Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The best Apollo era movie is Apollo 11 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
But all that's available are terrible screencam bootlegs.

The most widely seen lost film.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Roumba posted:

But all that's available are terrible screencam bootlegs.

The most widely seen lost film.

We are talking about the same 2019 Documentary?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
lol no I forgot about that. I thought you were quipping that the actual Apollo 11 footage was better than any movie.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Roumba posted:

lol no I forgot about that. I thought you were quipping that the actual Apollo 11 footage was better than any movie.

well that's pretty much what it is, plus a bunch of goofy dressed people looking up. I have it on as background noise now and then. I wish someone would make Mike Collins' book into a movie. :allears: The funniest astronaut memoir.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

If you have Twitter/Facebook, Mike Collins is a pro-follow. He posts about all sorts of stuff and is just a really interesting guy.

I met Buzz at a book singing here a few years back. He rambled for about an hour. It was like your drunken grandpa telling fishing stories on Thanksgiving but replace fishing with "The Moon". It was actually kinda fun. Supposedly though he is having issues with dementia, which is sad.

There was an anecdote from the Challenger hearings where apparently Neil would, after the day was over, pour a glass of scotch and just talk about the moon landings to whomever wanted to listen. He was on the committee that investigated the accident.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That commission also had Sally Ride, Richard Feynman, and Chuck Yeager on it. That last one is funny. I wonder if he contributed anything other than curmudgeonly sour grapes.

Edit: That reminds me - "Truth, Lies, and O-rings" by Allan McDonald, one of Thiokol's senior engineers for the shuttle SRB program, is technically very interesting if it weren't for the constant distraction of McDonald bleating that it wasn't his fault and nobody listened to him. It does have some details on the Rogers Commission.
Disclaimer: I 'read' that as an audiobook and it's possible that it was just terrible, whiny narration.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 12, 2021

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Burning Beard posted:

If you have Twitter/Facebook, Mike Collins is a pro-follow. He posts about all sorts of stuff and is just a really interesting guy.

I met Buzz at a book singing here a few years back. He rambled for about an hour. It was like your drunken grandpa telling fishing stories on Thanksgiving but replace fishing with "The Moon". It was actually kinda fun. Supposedly though he is having issues with dementia, which is sad.

There was an anecdote from the Challenger hearings where apparently Neil would, after the day was over, pour a glass of scotch and just talk about the moon landings to whomever wanted to listen. He was on the committee that investigated the accident.

Iirc he's basically in a fight with his children to prove he's still lucid.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Sadly we lost another Apollo era astronaut today.
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1387441107911446528?s=20

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:rip: You did good buddy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
RIP funniest Apollo astronaut :(

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/important_celeb/status/1387483801010511878

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Of all the astronauts, Mike Collins was, perhaps, the most... human.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/playingwithdust/status/1387647562010742785?s=19

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

He’s also like the only astronaut that hadn’t been absolutely crushed by his post-space life and lack of direction.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'll go with either Lovell or Collins, but the true hero of the Apollo program is Bruce McCandless's sweater during the EVA on Apollo 11

Look at this magnificence

Oh! The inspiration for Star Trek, the motion picture.

Reminds me of Rendezvous with Rama. Early on there's a scene with the protagonist saying women make terrible astronaut companions for the men, what with the boobs in zero-g and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.
I had the pleasure of meeting Gene Cernan and he was an awesome crotchety old man and I loved talking with him.