Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Because Earth technically occupies a point in outer space, both it and everything it contains is fair game for a forum dedicated to "everything space". So this thread is dedicated to the humble third planet from the Sun.

Welcome to Earf

Shape: Oblate Spheroid
Interests: Supporting Life and generating Magnetic Fields to deflect solar particles

I would like to open this Earth discussion by asking why Kim Kardashian is waiting so long to divorce Kanye West.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

first post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
The Earth is in a moving reference frame and therefore not at a single point.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
That's model dependant and you know it! You might as well argue that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

Speaking of which, do flat-earthers also deny that the Earth revolves around the Sun?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Flat Earth and geocentrism do have a not insignificant overlap, yeah.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Earth is cool because its moon is huge for its size. Only Jupiter and Saturn have larger moons, and only Pluto has a moon that's larger compared to its planet. Also, Earth is one of only two bodies in the Solar system that has large amounts of liquid on its surface, and the only one with liquid water.

Also, all humanity's stuff is here, just about.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It's easy to take for granted how Earth is far and away the most beautiful planet in the solar system. You line them up and it's like:
  • Rock
  • Toxic wasteland
  • **PARADISE**
  • Barren Desert
  • Gas lasagna
  • Beige rings
  • Light blue circle
  • Blue circle

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om6YoJy199E

Life is a test, many quest the universe.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's easy to take for granted how Earth is far and away the most beautiful planet in the solar system. You line them up and it's like:
  • Rock
  • Toxic wasteland
  • **PARADISE**
  • Barren Desert
  • Gas lasagna
  • Beige rings
  • Light blue circle
  • Blue circle

If you were one of the rock eating rock-men of mars you'd be like

[looks pretty good]
[looks pretty good]
[humans yuck]
[**PARADISE**]

Just a little food for thought.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Oh I'm well aware of the obvious bias. It's just after having a long session of ooh-ing and aah-ing at all the other planets it made me temporarily stop seeing the Earth as simply "normal" and could appreciate just how ridiculously, absurdly beautiful the world is to an almost comical degree.

Like just before then if you'd asked me to conjure up a "beautiful eden paradise planet" I probably would've actually stopped and thought about it for a minute before realizing it would look just like Earth.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A properly proportioned planet is half land, half water, all coastline.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Oh I'm well aware of the obvious bias. It's just after having a long session of ooh-ing and aah-ing at all the other planets it made me temporarily stop seeing the Earth as simply "normal" and could appreciate just how ridiculously, absurdly beautiful the world is to an almost comical degree.

Like just before then if you'd asked me to conjure up a "beautiful eden paradise planet" I probably would've actually stopped and thought about it for a minute before realizing it would look just like Earth.

Yeah but without mosquitoes and instead of salt water its fresh water oceans. Also crabs are edible without cooking and taste like marshmallows and bear are domesticated plus you ride them like horses.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Don't know why those astronauts are so smug about going to space when they were actually in space the whole time and so am I but I don't have to wear a stupid suit in order not to die.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah but without mosquitoes and instead of salt water its fresh water oceans. Also crabs are edible without cooking and taste like marshmallows and bear are domesticated plus you ride them like horses.

For sure but it would still LOOK like Earth lol

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

That's model dependant and you know it! You might as well argue that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

That was Tycho Brahe’s approach. He said the other planets revolved around the Sun, EXCEPT the Earth; the Sun revolved around it.*

*He knew what happened to Galileo, so this was his way of not pissing off the church

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
This 'Earth' has all the hallmarks of an excellent habitable planet. It's got a magnetosphere, suitable gravity and air pressure, hell it's even got liquid water on the surface! I'm surprised we haven't launched any manned missions yet.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

As soon as we possibly could we shot our drat asses off the thing.

I bet it's terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Earth is pretty cool, shame about giving rise to humans though.