Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fact: You should pronounce it "YURR-rin-us," not "Your Anus." For years this beautiful and underappreciated ice giant has been subject to childish mockery due to this ignorant pronounciation.

Meanwhile, it sits nearly two billion miles away, silently tolerating your juvenile jokes and butthole obsessions, not judging you for your relentless disrespect. God, you suck and should feel bad.

Another fact: It's tilted on its side. It also rotates in the opposite direction of all the other planets except Venus.

Methane gas gives Uranus a beautiful blue appearance. It is arguably the prettiest planet. What? Saturn has rings? Who gives a poo poo. Our big blue boy's rings are sexier.

Quick quiz: What's the coldest planet? Neptune since it's the farthest from the sun, right? Not so fast, hotshot. Uranus has recorded a low temperature of -370 degrees Fahrenheit. Neptune meanwhile bottoms out at a balmy -360 F.

Uranus has 27 known moons. They are all traditionally named after characters from works of William Shakespeare and Alexander Pope, giving them the nickname of "the literary moons." These include Titania, Oberon, Ariel, Miranda, Cressida, Ophelia, Desdemona, and, of course, Juliet.

Respect Uranus. If you don't, you might be the true rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A great source of methane :gas:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It actually does deserve an orbiter of it's own honestly.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

we're laughing with it not at it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not being able to pronounce it as your anus ruins at least 25% of my dad jokes. No thanks, you monster.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I gotta say, calling it "Urine-us" doesn't really help make its name any better...

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am not going to gas this.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I do like Uranus.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

It actually does deserve an orbiter of it's own honestly.

The ice giants definitely do.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Hazo posted:

Fact: You should pronounce it "YURR-rin-us," not "Your Anus."

In Greek it's closer to "urine-ous".

lol

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
You're supposed to pronounce it "Pissus"

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

no

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ice giants are cool and we don't know enough bout them.

More probes for Uranus.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hazo posted:

Urine-us you say?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Ice giants are cool and we don't know enough bout them.

More probes for Uranus.

txt me

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It seems like some of you aren't ready for the maturity level it takes to appreciate a spectacular planet like Uranus. I recommend you start your introduction to astronomy with a planet that's easier to understand and pronounce, like Eyarth or Venice.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Uranus is a nice shade of blue.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Its discoverer, William Herschel, wanted to name it George, after King George III of Britain, but the other Europeans didn't like that. I prefer to believe that the name Uranus was proposed to mess with English-speakers as retribution.

George.

Well, Georgium Sidus.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Y'all are slacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWszdSHkyE

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

how did I make this the video i decided to watch all the way through tonight

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hazo posted:

It seems like some of you aren't ready for the maturity level it takes to appreciate a spectacular planet like Uranus. I recommend you start your introduction to astronomy with a planet that's easier to understand and pronounce, like Eyarth or Venice.

Was anything I said wrong? :colbert:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

rockinsaki posted:

how did I make this the video i decided to watch all the way through tonight

Because Nanowar are cool and awesome?

(Their bass player has a legit PhD in astrophysics and a day job at a university. Making this song must have been a long-time dream for him.)

Groke fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 24, 2021

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I love Uranus, OP

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

noted indian genocider winston churchill giving the uranus U sign. you keep questionable company op

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

A Sometimes Food posted:

Was anything I said wrong? :colbert:

no you're cool you can be part of the uranus crew

Ok these people are allowed to pronounce it wrong because this loving rules. Nobody else though.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Uranus is a nice shade of blue.

reminds me of an easter egg

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I think Urine-us is the most appropriate, the etymology is probably 'the rain maker' and shares a root with urine. That's why it's so horrifying Uranus had his balls chopped off, the source of all his power.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Uranus is the planet where I'd like to know just wtf happened. It's rolling on its side, the magnetic axis is way off from the spin axis and doesn't even go through the center of the planet, and whatever is powering the atmosphere dynamics on the other big planets is kaput.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Presto posted:

Uranus is the planet where I'd like to know just wtf happened. It's rolling on its side, the magnetic axis is way off from the spin axis and doesn't even go through the center of the planet, and whatever is powering the atmosphere dynamics on the other big planets is kaput.

presumably it got smacked by an ice planet

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Hazo posted:

Fact: You should pronounce it "YURR-rin-us," not "Your Anus." [...] Methane gas gives Uranus a beautiful blue appearance.

This mf trying to tell me a planet that smells like farts isn't called "yer-ANUS"

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
uranus just kinda marches to the beat of its own drummer and isn't conformist like the other planets.

i like that in a frozen fartball.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

I made sure to teach my daughter the correct pronunciation by stressing the anus

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
When I was a kid I pronounced it "ur-anne-us."

I was a huge loser!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

mediaphage posted:

presumably it got smacked by an ice planet

I know but drat, that would've been something to see.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's pretty crazy that voyager 2 is the only spacecraft to visit uranus. Most of the pictures I think are from hubble.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Salt Fish posted:

It's pretty crazy that voyager 2 is the only spacecraft to visit uranus. Most of the pictures I think are from hubble.
I remember Uranus being kind of a letdown. Jupiter and Saturn had gotten everyone used to exciting pictures of roiling atmospheres and complex ring systems, and then Voyager 2 gets to Uranus and the planet is like "hello :geno:".

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Uranus and Neptune always seem slightly special to me because despite looking pretty boring compared to Jupiter. I just like that they seem to actually have something akin to a "surface", even if it would probably be a crazy hot "ocean" possibly including crazy things like giant diamonds. That always seemed cooler to me than Jupiter or Saturn being just being gas all the way down.(Even if metallic hydrogen might be kinda cool)

Presto posted:

I remember Uranus being kind of a letdown. Jupiter and Saturn had gotten everyone used to exciting pictures of roiling atmospheres and complex ring systems, and then Voyager 2 gets to Uranus and the planet is like "hello :geno:".

If I recall, it's been theorized that Uranus happened to be in an extra boring period weather wise and typically has a bit more going on than it did when voyager 2 visited it. The hubble pictures seem to show cloud formations and storms, but obviously in much less detail than a probe would have seen on encounter.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Yeah, I did some googling and it seems like there's a lot more going on now in the atmosphere than in 1986.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFerSCFOMUo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
We must send additional probes to Uranus!!