Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
this weird switch to Luthor and Bizzaro Superman into Doomsday at the tail end of the season isn't great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

He is Doomsday now. The dying and coming back stronger is basically Doomsday's origin.

It literally is. As I recall, in the comics leading up to and also following The Death of Superman, each new clone of The Ultimate was released into the wild of Krypton, would eventually die (from predators, the environmental conditions, what have you), and then they'd clone the remains, with each new clone retaining the genetic memories of the prior ones. So eventually he was forced to evolve and became a giant Kryptonian death machine.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

It is kind of a weird place to end the season, especially since they're decimating the cast. So look forward to next season having a bunch of lines about why people are no longer appearing.

It's not that they won't be appearing, it's that they're not main cast anymore, so they're not guaranteed a certain amount of appearances through the season.
It's likelier that a lot of them will be spread out across the season rather than be in each episode.

RandomBlue posted:

this weird switch to Luthor and Bizzaro Superman into Doomsday at the tail end of the season isn't great

A lot of stuff in this episode felt like they were accelerating to a cliffhanger in the hopes of having a fourth season.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It felt to me like they were trying to find a happy medium between a cliffhanger and something that could vaguely serve as an open ending.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Well, that certainly took some cojones to do that on a TV budget, and it still looked better than Quantumania.

That aside, I was expecting Superman to lose his cape so they start next season with the Lois Lane/Death of Superman scene, but blowing up the moon works too.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

They definitely threw a lot of balls into the air with that season finale, hoping all of them land in season 4.

This was my favorite season of the show so far; the character work was top notch and everything between Superman and Lois was great. I'm admittedly nervous about next season with the budget cut, but as long as the writing stays strong, I'm in for the ride. Especially if they do a Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen story. Just have Jordan in the Superboy role, it'd be perfect.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The whole "I think I'm ready" scene was incredibly beautiful and touching. I squealed and hugged pillows all throughout.

Am not particularly impressed/interested in surprise baby and marriage proposals. Would have been more impressed if they both agreed it was too soon / not ready. But I like them both, so completely out of left field happily ever after, wooo. I guess.

Lana and JHI holding hands giggling like teenagers after mutual respectful knocking boots was much more palatable. I respect Woles physique.

drat, poor grandpa.

Coach Gaines is a petty petty man.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sloth Life posted:

Coach Gaines is a petty petty man.

I'm gonna pretend that he's actually still mad that Clark made poo poo bbq that one time.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Timby posted:

It literally is. As I recall, in the comics leading up to and also following The Death of Superman, each new clone of The Ultimate was released into the wild of Krypton, would eventually die (from predators, the environmental conditions, what have you), and then they'd clone the remains, with each new clone retaining the genetic memories of the prior ones. So eventually he was forced to evolve and became a giant Kryptonian death machine.
Seems kind of worth pointing that S1 had the Eradictor, Steel, and Superboy all together. Then Bizarro's intro in S2 was a Doomsday fake-out that's now basically foreshadowing.

What I'm saying is I predict cyborg Superman.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

A Fancy Hat posted:

They definitely threw a lot of balls into the air with that season finale, hoping all of them land in season 4.

This was my favorite season of the show so far; the character work was top notch and everything between Superman and Lois was great. I'm admittedly nervous about next season with the budget cut, but as long as the writing stays strong, I'm in for the ride. Especially if they do a Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen story. Just have Jordan in the Superboy role, it'd be perfect.

If this were a CW Arrowverse show I would be saying "no, no, please don't" but Superman and Lois has done a great job and I think they could do justice to that storyline.

However, lol if one of the cast who got sidelined into only a reduced role next season is loving Superman.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Why does Bizarro / Doomsday want to kill Superman anyway? They were only opposed last season due to Ally, and that is resolved now.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Well for those missing Tal Rho, Adam Rayner is hamming it up over on Max's Warrior.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

SimonChris posted:

Why does Bizarro / Doomsday want to kill Superman anyway? They were only opposed last season due to Ally, and that is resolved now.

Whatever Manheim did to him basically turned him into an undead ghoul, then Luthor kept killing him over and over. He was already pretty crazy before that, now he’s just completely mindless. I really loved Superman’s “what did they do to you?” when he saw him - he still cares for this poor thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Easiest way to write off most of the cast is for the main fam to just have to move back to the city.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They just handwaved how he dies and gets stronger right? It was just that line from Luthor. Seemed pretty sloppy and rushed.
I guess it's related to whatever Manheim was doing with him. And I never really knew what was going on there either.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Whatever Manheim did to him basically turned him into an undead ghoul, then Luthor kept killing him over and over. He was already pretty crazy before that, now he’s just completely mindless. I really loved Superman’s “what did they do to you?” when he saw him - he still cares for this poor thing.
Except he seems to be focused on killing Superman specifically for some reason, which I don't think they've explained.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

I guess it's related to whatever Manheim was doing with him. And I never really knew what was going on there either.

Except he seems to be focused on killing Superman specifically for some reason, which I don't think they've explained.

Definitely felt like there was a MISSING SCENE that would've explained stuff.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think they just thought that the fight was spectacular enough that the viewer wouldn't really care. In my case, they were right.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Agree, they could have readily just had a shot in the torture/kill montage of Mannheim shoving a picture of Superman in Bizarro's face and yelling "do you know why you suffer?! It's HIS fault!". Or something, idk.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a reminder that there's a new Superman animated series that just started airing on Adult Swim/streaming on Max. "My Adventures with Superman" stars Jack Quaid as a young Clark Kent just starting out in Metropolis alongside fellow Daily Planet interns Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://deadline.com/2023/11/superman-and-lois-canceled-end-season-4-cw-1235591418/

:rip: Arrowverse, now officially 100% dead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well at least they know well in advance. Hopefully they will craft a worthy send off.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think we all knew that was coming.

And also, I do not want the S&L finale to be the Arrowverse finale. Those other shows have nothing to do with this one.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

its a loving miracle we got anything past a first season, let alone more.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Bastards. This was one of the best shows on television. 4 seasons always feels too soon.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

I think we all knew that was coming.

And also, I do not want the S&L finale to be the Arrowverse finale. Those other shows have nothing to do with this one.

They explicitly established that the show takes place in a different universe where Superman is the only hero.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

A really fun 1st season, a bit of stumble on the 2nd season (imho), and a great 3rd season that ranks up with the best stuff superhero TV has ever done. I'm a bit concerned about season 4 because of the budget cut (since it seems like a dramatic one) but I hope it finishes strong.

I know superhero stuff in general is kind of fading in popularity, but I feel like the CW really fumbled the ball and lost their identity by pivoting away from all the DC shows.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.thewrap.com/cw-brad-schwartz-dennis-miller-interview-linear-tv-strategy/

quote:

(Schwartz clarified that, despite how well “Superman & Lois” has performed, the decision to end the DC property came from Warner Bros. — “They don’t want a competing Superman product in the marketplace,” Schwartz said, referring to James Gunn’s 2025 movie “Superman: Legacy.”)

That good old Warner Bros./DC bRaNd PuRiTy strikes again and claims its final victim (for now).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
For gently caress sake. This was the best live action superman since Christopher reeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that’s super bullshit. People know the god drat difference. I bet they blame Flash tv for the movie not doing well. Assholes.