Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Soon google will have complete control over the cyberwebs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

If the author's had actually discovered one weird trick to destroy the RSa cryptosystem then they could just prove it, just give a single example. What they did instead is copied someone's rambling manifesto and replaced 'timecube' with the integral symbol and 'New World Order' with matrix math

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Dude is legit tho it seems someone took an older paper and added the "this killes the crab" comment to it for some reason

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
imagine four primes on the edge of a cliff. when one falls over, another takes its place. cryptography works the same way

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Only trouble ever comes out of math departments. Nothing good has ever happened there

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

The internet is like a tube. Hackers and nasa have tapped the tube before it gets to you, and they have their lips wrapped around a pipe trying to suck out all your data. You need to suck on the tube harder than they can, so your poo poo goes your way and not up their pipe. That's cryptography.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

human garbage bag posted:

If they broke RSA then they could easily demonstrate it by posting the private key of a random public key found online. Since they didn't it's at most an improvement over the existing best polynomial time algorithm.

The funny thing about P=NP is that proving P=NP is as simple as providing just one solution to a big enough problem, but a disproof would probably span an entire book and give the discoverer a harem of math groupies in every university around the world.
it doesnt seem like you would prove all p=np by moving an np problem into the p group

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'll show you my p group

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

gary oldmans diary posted:

it doesnt seem like you would prove all p=np by moving an np problem into the p group

And it isn't known exactly which complexity class integer factorization falls into anyway

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

gary oldmans diary posted:

P = NP if you have a polynomial time solution for any NP-complete problem, but solving any other problem in NP in polynomial time doesn't buy you much. Integer factorization is not known to be NP-complete, and a lot of people would be very surprised if that turns out to be the case. We'd also be surprised but less so if it turned out to have a polynomial time solution.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Quantum computing breaks all encryptions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3BJVaioX_k

That guy above says it might be possible to use some kind of geometrical algorithm that makes calculations in 500 dimensions or something, which I'm guessing will make it so you could have huge numbers of "correct" decryptions, but most of those results will just be noise... (?)

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Symmetric key cryptography is still considered to be safe from quantum computers.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

does this meant the wu-tang clan is gonna split up?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

what's the point of security anyway if dolores from HR is using the password mittens123 and every stupid place you ever put your social security number ever has been breached three times over

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

low key sex master posted:

I've read this post top to bottom like five times and have absolutely no idea what the hell it's about

Like there's some mathematical formula that will kill cryptology or something? Am I close? The first sentence alone is :psyduck:

Yeah I'm here with you in the "wtf is this" camp

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

low key sex master posted:

I've read this post top to bottom like five times and have absolutely no idea what the hell it's about

Like there's some mathematical formula that will kill cryptology or something? Am I close? The first sentence alone is :psyduck:

A lot of what happens on the internet only works if three conditions are met:
  1. Encrypting a message is easy.
  2. Decrypting a message is hard if all you have is the message.
  3. Decrypting a message is easy if you have some additional information.
One of the most widely used systems that makes that work is known as RSA, after the initials of its inventors. In RSA, encryption is only as difficult as multiplying together two prime numbers, but decryption requires the ability to factor that product into the primes that were used in the encryption step. Multiplication is easy in the sense that we have efficient algorithms for it, but factoring is much more computationally expensive. If the primes you start with are large enough, then effectively only a person who knows one of them can find the other. The article in the OP claims to have a method that factors numbers much more quickly, and if the claims hold up, then that has the potential to make your messages readable by people other than the ones you meant to send them to.

However, it's been known for a while that RSA would eventually be broken by quantum computers, so people have been working on a replacement for a long time. I don't know how widely used anything else is, but it's only a matter of time before RSA is replaced.

Also, no discussion of encryption is complete without one of the few good xkcd comics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/inf_0_/status/1367376526300172288

We good.