Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grand Moff Danhausen?

I like how there's all pictures of assorted crackpots and grifters, and then Garrett Wang is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know enough about the guy to really crack jokes, but this:

twistedmentat posted:

I like how there's all pictures of assorted crackpots and grifters, and then Garrett Wang is there.

and that it's a signed publicity photo do make a certain kind of suggestion

Though I have heard that his podcast where he shoots the poo poo with with Robert Duncan "Tom Paris" McNeill about Voyager is pretty good

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Phy posted:

I don't know enough about the guy to really crack jokes, but this:

and that it's a signed publicity photo do make a certain kind of suggestion

Though I have heard that his podcast where he shoots the poo poo with with Robert Duncan "Tom Paris" McNeill about Voyager is pretty good

It is very good. They ran out of Voyager to watch so they invited Terry Farrell and Armin Shimerman to join and now they're doing DS9.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I found their missing headshot.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Supreme Commander Thor enjoining his vacation in Roswell.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I know this thread is more for cryptids than ghost stuff, but I was tuning into a channel early before a bigfoot show and caught the end of a Ghost Adventures, so that's my tenuous link. Mostly I just wanted to share this because I've never seen such convincing evidence of a vicious paranormal attack.

https://i.imgur.com/CPJx8bj.mp4

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Knormal posted:

So I know this thread is more for cryptids than ghost stuff, but I was tuning into a channel early before a bigfoot show and caught the end of a Ghost Adventures, so that's my tenuous link. Mostly I just wanted to share this because I've never seen such convincing evidence of a vicious paranormal attack.

poo poo like that is why I love Ghost Adventures.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

McGavin posted:

poo poo like that is why I love Ghost Adventures.

"Spirit, if you're here ... kill Aaron!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Knormal posted:

That ghost is a jerk! Rubbing that poor guys head like it will grant him luck.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

That ghost is a jerk! Rubbing that poor guys head like it will grant him luck.

Do you know for sure rubbing the livings head dosen't grant ghosts luck?

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Knormal posted:

Man just got possessed!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That Thylacine hunter from Tasmania who caused a stir back in 2021 making big promises about exciting new footage which turned out to be a complete dud just posted a new video of the Top 10 Thylacine Videos, with two new previously unseen videos which he's super excited about. Jump to 8:20 for the videos for the newest videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXCEsAh5rdI

I'm very much not convinced. :shrug:

He also slags off TV cryptid hunter Forrest Galante in the video description, lol

quote:

So many video clips of Thylacine's have been getting around for so many years now that I thought it was time for me to put the best of them all together in one clip. Two of the clips in this video have never been released on You Tube EVER before. You might be forgiven for thinking that some of this footage is worth big bucks, but there is no pot of gold in trying to film a Thylacine, contrary to popular belief. In late 2017/early2018, Forest Galante's Production company offered me $100 for the use of 4 of these clips. Naturally I declined their scabby offer. Even after they dug real deep a few months later and made another counter offer to me of $2000 for the use of only 2 of our video clips, (to be used in Forests now cancelled "program" Extinct or alive), now officially extinct, I still declined and said no to their offer. A man has to have some principles in life. As a result, when Forests show on the Thylacine went to air, he had zero visuals to work with and never really gained much traction. Since then he has made all sorts of outrageous claims to try and stay relevant and look useful. Hopefully Forest raises the money he needs to fund his trip to New Guinea so he can go and mix with the locals over there and maybe find Jesus instead. Recently he made the ridiculous claim that Nick Mooney told him that Nick had seen 2 Thylacine's from a tent once... Claims which Nick has now categorically denied...Anyway, I'm sure that fate will show its hand sooner or later and Forest will actually prove something other than his teeth are really shiny.... and that he needs $5,000,000 to fund his next "program". The best of luck to you Forest !!

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Apr 18, 2024

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Knormal posted:

After talking about how unexplainable the shadow was for all that time they went back to the room and recreated the photo and the exact same shadow turned up again, I forget what the cause was but it was something like the camera flash reflecting off something at a weird angle. They all acknowledged this was the cause, case closed.

Then they just carried on ghost hunting with absolutely no self-reflection on what just happened.

At least this wasn’t what I expected, which was her actual shadow

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh man I love "shadows which simply can't be explained by science!!!!11!!!!"

Here's a classic:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's the key moment in the recent Expedition Bigfoot episode where a 'cloaked' invisible bigfoot runs from right to left immediately in front of them and casts a shadow on the cliff face behind it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P96NfnW17g

They freaked the gently caress out about this and couldn't sleep that night and just wouldn't stop talking about it and they spent a large chunk of the next episode talking about it as well. They did all the usual reality TV things of slowing down the footage and zooming in and 'enhancing' and they kept saying stuff like "I can't prove it but instinctually I know that was the shadow of a bigfoot!!!" and "As a scientist I just can't explain what I saw!!!"

It's the shadow of the tiny reed immediately in front of them in the bottom left corner of the screen, projected onto the canyon wall so it's the size of a tall figure. Someone to the left of camera is shining a really strong light on the reed and when they moved to the right it made the shadow jump to the left, and when the woman in the shot shines her torch on the same spot the shadow 'disappears' because the light from her torch washes it out.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

He also slags off TV cryptid hunter Forrest Galante in the video description, lol
That show actually had some results, unlike every other cryptid-hunting show ever, so that seems like a weird target. But what would the cryptid community be without vicious in-fighting?

No jaw-dropping discoveries or anything, but they rediscovered some lost subspecies and had some other interesting finds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinct_or_Alive

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

No jaw-dropping discoveries or anything, but they rediscovered some lost subspecies and had some other interesting finds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinct_or_Alive

Some of those 'rediscoveries' also included in-fighting and back stabbing, lol

quote:

No confirmed live tortoises nor remains were found on Fernandina until an expedition in February 2019 discovered a potential endling, an elderly female. The tortoise was transferred to a breeding center on nearby Santa Cruz Island, for the purpose of conservation and genetic tests. There are efforts being made to find a suitable male breeding mate for the female.

The 2019 expedition was undertaken by the Galapagos National Park Directorate and Galapagos Conservancy and was led by Washington Tapia-Aguilera— Director of Conservation at the Galapagos Conservancy and director of the Giant Tortoise Restoration Initiative — and included four rangers: Jeffreys Málaga, Eduardo Vilema, Roberto Ballesteros, and Simon Villamar. The search and discovery were shown in Forrest Galante's television show, Extinct or Alive (season 2, episode 1). While some accounts have credited Galante with the discovery, this is disputed by Tapia-Aguilera who has highlighted that "Ecuadorian park ranger Jeffreys Málaga was the one that knew the land, tracked the tortoise, and ultimately made the discovery before calling over the rest of the team."

Galante himself wrote in his 2021 memoir that Málaga spotted the tortoise, prompting Galante to race toward it and lift it up. He continued to accuse Tapia-Aguilera of erasing Galante’s own involvement in the discovery to bolster his career, and said he’d have been glad to give the local biologists the lead and share credit with them had they asked. The Galapagos Conservancy has reportedly launched further expeditions to Fernandina Island searching for a male tortoise, rebuffing Galante’s attempts to collaborate again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernandina_Island_Gal%C3%A1pagos_tortoise#Discovery_and_rediscovery

..... and quite a few of them had already been rediscovered recently. Miller's langur had been sighted 7 years earlier, the Pondicherry shark had been sighted 3 years earlier, the Rio Apaporis caiman had been spotted a year earlier, etc etc..

His biggest win was probably when he got trailcam footage of a Zanzibar leopard but that's been disputed

quote:

In 2018, a leopard was recorded on Unguja Island by a camera trap set during filming of the Animal Planet series Extinct or Alive. Some authorities do not consider this video to be reliable evidence due to the exact locality of the video being unknown, and few reliable sources have picked up on it. However, its author (Forrest Galante) has defended its authenticity. Although the footage definitely shows a leopard, the exact pattern of rosettes remains unclear, and it could be a feral African leopard introduced to Zanzibar. DNA evidence may be the only way to verify this video.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

Somewhere early in the chupacabra mythos this got posted as a photo of a chupacabra despite looking more like a Boglin:

I always figured it helped serve as as halfway point between the vaguely humanoid original chupacabra and the mangy dogs that usually get associated with it now. If you accept this as the "true" look of the creature I can see how you could justify to yourself how the original witness misinterpreted a quick view of this as the grey-alien-with-spikes thing as they have a few features in common (big almond-shaped eyes, flat nose, three-fingered hands), but also find commonalities with a decaying dog corpse.

I've been trying to look into it and the earliest internet copies of that image I can find are from 2008, although that's not conclusive. Curiously, one of the very earliest images I could find seemed to be from a Japanese magazine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070920195100/http://ryou.blog2.petitmall.jp/blog-date-200703.html

..... which looks like it had the caption チュパカブラ which google translate says is Japanese for "chupacabra" so that doesn't help much!

But I did also find this 1996 webpage about chupacabras which is an amazing internet time capsule: http://www.princeton.edu/~accion/chupa21.html
[snip]

Huh, I went back and did another search for this and actually made some headway. This site and several others claimed that the image was first uploaded to the internet on Art Bell's old homepage back in 1996 after it was mailed in by a fan of his radio show, claiming it was a real photo but it was later "exposed as a statue from a museum exhibit."
I haven't been able to track down any info about the museum yet

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I'm not convinced as to the quality of this infographic, since I know there's been a few bigfoot sightings in the Bay Area (e.g. Mt. Diablo, Santa Cruz Mountains, and maybe Daly City but I may be misremembering a werewolf report for that one) and yet they have the Giants in the 0 section there.