Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
wifi causes cancer op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

neato burrito posted:

Deco is pretty good and cheaper than Google's mesh system.

I actually have Deco over Google because it has a wired backhaul option. I'm planning on putting a Ubiquti system in but I want to do it right which would involve some rewiring, Deco works for now.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
I bought these like 2 weeks ago and I am really happy with them. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-Replacement-S4-3-Pack/dp/B084GTH5LL/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=TP+LINK+DECO&qid=1615410857&sr=8-2

I went from a weak/good signal in the living room to excellent. I get like a solid 3ms ping response time to the router in my bedroom. Basically plug one in the the router your ISP gave you and change the main Deco unit from router mode to whatever the other option is. Disable the wireless radios on the router your ISP gave you to avoid interference. I use Moonlight to stream emulated breath of the wild from my room to the living room. It owns.

Edit: also it is a mesh system not a repeater so it doesn't cut your speed in half.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 10, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Piggy Smalls posted:

Decided to research a Ubiquiti setup. Thanks for the no help my goons.

rude

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Methanar posted:

wifi causes cancer op

But what if the WiFi is actually pushing the cancer out of you and into someone else?

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
My router is literally boiling my pot of pasta from several feet away atm. The trick is to align all the antenna in the same direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
You generally get what you pay for, but for most jobs, you won't need more than a 1 hp - 1.5 hp router. Having an adjustable rpm is important if you're working on many different kinds of wood. Most routers will come with a fixed base, but you should probably also get a plunge base. They're very useful for doing mortise joint holes, among other things. If you plan to connect your router to a table, double check that your router base fits the table insert. Different brands use different bolt layouts, so they don't always match up.