Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the fifth season of FOX's (and apparently America's) favorite show. This season features at least ten masked contestants, with 26 Grammy nominations, nine multi-platinum singles, four Oscar nominations, three Super Bowl appearances, six gold medals and two world records.

What Is it?
Based on (copied from) the South Korean reality show King of Mask Singer, this singing competition is everything about the modern celebrity landscape and reality TV mashed together in a nightmarish pastiche featuring admittedly incredible costumes, synthesized voices, terrible puns, and brick stupid panelists. Ten (or more?) public figures ("celebrities" doesn't really work here) are dressed in full garish costumes and face off against one another by singing song covers in their real voices. Before each song, they play a sizzle real of the singer offering (in a concealed voice) a short biography in order to give clues as to their identity.
The show airs Wednesday at 8PM ET on Fox.

Meet the Hosts
:siren:NICK GOT THE RONA :siren:, so we're getting a guest host for the first part of the season! Everyone welcome Niecy Nash to the family.
For the second part of the season, returning is Nick Cannon, in different head dresses and hairstyles.

Meet the "Judges"
Robin Thicke: Songwriter, record producer, and noted domestic shitbag. He appears to be trying very hard to be The Serious One on the meaningless panel.
Jenny McCarthy: Yes, her. Everyone's favorite anti-vaxxer observes things around her and makes preposterous guesses. Yet somehow, I'm assuming through the magic of editing, she appears to pull a last-minute correct guess just before the unmasking.
Ken Jeong: Former MD and current prolific comedic actor. Gives up the veil of taking any of this remotely seriously almost immediately into the first episode. Did not correctly guess a single singer in the first season, though he is steadily improving his success rate, especially with athletes.
Nicole Scherzinger: Formerly of the Pussycat Dolls, Nicole is the other person seemingly making guesses in earnest. Constantly drunk.

Confirmed Guest Panelists for Season 4
TBA

Guest panelists from past seasons
Jamie Foxx
Keenan Thompson
J.B. Smoove
Anthony Anderson
Joel McHale (please come back)
T-Pain
Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
Wayne Brady

Why Should I Watch?
It's the closest thing we have to modern day water-cooler talk. Unlike singing reality shows of the past, you don't just get to argue with your acquaintances about who is more talented-- you also get to argue about clues, heights, and voices! Destroy your relationships and isolate your family members with your increasingly furious opinions of whether the Banana's voice is too high to be JJ Abrams! It's also so goddamned weird. And it's fun to argue with people about your guesses.

Season five is being hyped as a game changer compared to other seasons, partially due to the format. There will be two groups of five singers to start, with an unknown number of "wildcard" masks joining in throughout the season. There's also a giant rooster (which they totally stole from the Mexican version) named "Cluedle-Doo" who will be giving clues. This season is also continuing with voting from at-home fans versus a live audience, so expect there to be some tomfoolery in the results.

What happened in the past four seasons?
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4

Masked singers of the past have included Terry Bradshaw, Gladys Knight, LaToya Jackson, Tommy Chong, Seal (not dressed as a seal), Donny Osmond, Joey Fatone, Kelly Osbourne, Patti Labelle, Adrienne Bailon, Ninja, Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, Tony Hawk, Lil Wayne, Jesse McCartney, Mickey Rourke, Tori Kelly, Nick Carter, Bob Saget and the past four winners, T-Pain as "The Monster", Wayne Brady as "The Fox", and Kandi Burruss as "The Night Angel", and LeAnn Rimes as "The Sun".

What have we learned?
Time is cyclical, we're all going to die, and this show is all we have.

Oh you mean about the contestants?
The revealed singers have tended to be:
- active in the reality show community (e.g. Rumer Willis, Tori Spelling, Kandi Burruss)
- occasionally from FOX competitor networks (e.g. Drew Carey, Tom Bergeron, Ana Gasteyer)
- promoting a new show or album
- not currently prominent artists (it's not Lady Gaga or :boom: )

Who are this season's contestants?
Find out in the next post.

Big thanks to Hazo for providing the majority of this intro from the season 3 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Current Group: Final 3

The Contestants:

Black Swan

Revealed as: TBA

Chameleon

Grandpa Monster

Revealed as: Logan Paul

Phoenix

Revealed as: Caitlyn Jenner

Piglet

Raccoon

Revealed as: Danny Trejo

Robopine

Revealed as: Tyrese Gibson

Russian Doll(s?)

Revealed as: Hanson

Seashell

Revealed as: Tamara Mowry

Snail

Revealed as: Kermit the Frog :frogout:

Wildcards:
Orca
Revealed as: Mark McGrath
Crab
Revealed as: Bobby Brown
Bulldog
Revealed as: Nick Cannon :frogout:
Yeti
Revealed as: Omarion

Non-Contestants:

Cluedle-Doo

A costume from the Mexican version of the show, Quien Es La Mascara?
Revealed as: Donnie Wahlberg

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 20, 2021

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Season 5 has started in earnest. Tonight we get Russian Dolls, Snail, Porcupine, Seashell and Raccoon.

Snail seems to be weak so far. Also surprised to see a Michael Jackson song in the show for once.

And oh God, really hoping Raccoon is Gary Busey.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 11, 2021

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

These guesses are even worse than normal.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

lmao that reveal

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
:aaaaa: Welp, never would have gone there. Color me pleasantly surprised.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm reasonably sure that Raccoon is Danny Trejo

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm reasonably sure that Raccoon is Danny Trejo

made that bet to my so

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I was going "man the snail sounds so loving familiar but i can't figure out who it is!" but because it was the newer Kermit voice from 2017 onward it was juuuuuuuuust different enough to throw me off

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 11, 2021

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

ArtVandelay posted:

These guesses are even worse than normal.

when Robin guessed Danny DeVito for Raccoon I felt part of my brain implode

Various Artists
Nov 13, 2008

Unknown Album
Untitled
***--
I was expecting snail to be Letterman what with the talk show and meatballs clues plus this guy even sounds Letterman-y when he sings

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I laughed when they guessed it was Ted Cruz. I think someone in the audience booed?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Color Printer posted:

when Robin guessed Danny DeVito for Raccoon I felt part of my brain implode

Joe Pesci can actually sing, I was outraged on his behalf

I assume that cluedle do is Nick, because they don’t acknowledge that character at all on the show, and it feels spliced in, like you might need to do if your host was out for some reason, but demanded to get paid for every episode anyways

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
My guesses: the Roboporcupine is David Allen Grier, the Seashell is either Tia or Tamera Mowry, and the Raccoon is Danny Trejo.

No idea who the Russian Dolls are but my mom insists they're Hanson so I'm gonna go with that. I also think they're likely to win the whole thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
this show is so stupid but I binged it and finally got to watching this ep and now I want nothing more than more. Absolute 30 Rock levels stupidity but somehow it hooked me.

It'd be really funny if the Russian Dolls are Hanson like everyone thinks (no idea why it would be, the only clue that fits is 'MisfITZ Toys') because didn't it come out one of them was a crazy covid denialist and racist, and they had tours in cities where the virus was going real bad? Absolutely would be a hilarious reveal and reaction.

The raccoon can literally only be Trejo, though, that's gonna be the least surprising reveal ever but still entertaining.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 12, 2021

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Tonight we get Group B. Black Swan, Grandpa Monster, Chameleon, Piglet and Phoenix step up to the mic.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Once again, just godawful guesses here. Black Swan is not Camilla Cabello. Camilla Cabello has a terrible voice and sounds nothing like that.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Welp, kind of called that reveal. Especially when there are published pictures of Caitlyn Jenner wearing the show's "DON'T SPEAK TO ME" hoodie. GG you idjit.

Various Artists
Nov 13, 2008

Unknown Album
Untitled
***--
I'm starting to get sick of how many right wing icons keep showing up

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Various Artists posted:

I'm starting to get sick of how many right wing icons keep showing up

Yeah, I have to wonder if the Sarah Palin reveal a couple seasons ago killed some of the discussion here. Hopefully we don't get any more poo poo like that.

Anyway, group A is back with Joel Mchale and the first "wildcard" mask.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Raccoon is for sure Danny Trejo. Sounds exactly like him, and he was even a champion boxer in prison. I can't believe how bad some of these guesses are.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ArtVandelay posted:

Raccoon is for sure Danny Trejo. Sounds exactly like him, and he was even a champion boxer in prison. I can't believe how bad some of these guesses are.

Nice guess! I was seriously hoping for Gary Busey, but alas.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I laugh every time someone guesses loving 4'10" danny devito seriously

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I laugh every time someone guesses loving 4'10" danny devito seriously

Danny DeVito as Racoon is perhaps the worst guess (that's actually completely earnest and also not from Ken) in the entire 5 goddamn seasons of this show

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Color Printer posted:

Danny DeVito as Racoon is perhaps the worst guess (that's actually completely earnest and also not from Ken) in the entire 5 goddamn seasons of this show

someone said Joe Pesci, which, how dare they

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBGkwVTcIPM

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
This effing show man. I know Nicole guessed one of the Pauls for Grandpa Monster, and I fear she may be right.

EDIT: Welp. Glad he's gone at least. Him for Crab was a good trade.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 1, 2021

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

somekindofguy posted:

This effing show man. I know Nicole guessed one of the Pauls for Grandpa Monster, and I fear she may be right.

I appreciate the outrage as if anyone gives a gently caress about the difference between the two. My wife pointed out before the reveal that we hadn’t had a Social Media contestant yet

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I honestly don't even know who the guy is or why he's famous. I've only heard about him because of the dumb poo poo he's done. This is the Masked Singer though, so I realize i'm not going to know a lot of these H list stars.

Various Artists
Nov 13, 2008

Unknown Album
Untitled
***--

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

My wife pointed out before the reveal that we hadn’t had a Social Media contestant yet

Does Ninja count? Or are streamers and youtubers different in a way I don't understand

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Various Artists posted:

Does Ninja count? Or are streamers and youtubers different in a way I don't understand

I think they meant this season

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Various Artists posted:

Color Printer posted:

I think they meant this season

Yeah this, like Dr. Elvis last season, JoJo Siwa season 3, and Ninja season 2

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, been neglecting this thread the past couple of weeks. Tonight is a two hour episode with all the masks competing. Two going home.

I wish we could have gotten some more time with Niecy, but I suppose Nick had to come back at some point.

Can I say some of these guesses suck though. You think they get it, then woosh they blow past it into obscurity.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 22, 2021

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

ghost emoji posted:

My guesses: the Roboporcupine is David Allen Grier, the Seashell is either Tia or Tamera Mowry, and the Raccoon is Danny Trejo.

I'm 2 for 3!

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Happy 5/5 everyone. Top six are on, with Chrissy Metz guesting.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Forgot to buzz that this was on. Congrats to those who have gotten guesses right so far this season. I will join you one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Finale is on. Thanks to those of you who hing out in this long and winding road.