Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zil posted:

Does anyone know of any other recent games like this? I already own the two Dungeon Keepers on GoG, War for the Overworld, the three Dungeons games, and even Dwelvers (oof).

Even willing to go 2d for my fix if necessary. Just like carving out rooms and training up minions to do my bidding.

MachiaVillain kinda bridges this genre and the colony builder, you're running an evil mansion full of monsters, training them up and luring innocent college students in to be murdered. I bounced off, but there's clearly some good ideas there.

e: currently on sale for 2 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Dungeon Maker is a fun mobile game. Just turn on the video game sound effects instead of the weird anime moans from dying heroes, or you are going to get some looks on the subway.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
War for the overworld is a usually very cheap, straightforward dungeon keeper game that is by far my favourite of the genre so far.

It helps that the voice actor is the father in Peppa the pig and the contrast makes it extremely funny.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Dareon posted:

MachiaVillain kinda bridges this genre and the colony builder, you're running an evil mansion full of monsters, training them up and luring innocent college students in to be murdered. I bounced off, but there's clearly some good ideas there.

e: currently on sale for 2 bucks.

Rimworld is really great if you haven't already tried it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Mans posted:

War for the overworld is a usually very cheap, straightforward dungeon keeper game that is by far my favourite of the genre so far.

It helps that the voice actor is the father in Peppa the pig and the contrast makes it extremely funny.

Seconding this, although at some points playing it felt like a game ripping off DK too hard (rather than being the same formula with its own take).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

KeeperRL is another option. One developer so development is slow but he has been continually adding stuff to it for years. I think there is a free ASCII version on the home page as well.

I'll second this, I played it 5 years ago and got my Dungeon Keeper fix out of it, plus it has some interesting stuff to do like possess your monsters and then fight as them in Roguelike combat. It was good then and that was like 15 updates ago, so I'd imagine it's better now

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Edit: wrong thread

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How do you accidentally necro a 10 month dead thread

While we're here, did they ever fix traps for this game to make them more effective? Last time I played they were kind of pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were usable out of the box, but not in an intuitive way. iirc, you had to use a bunch of overlapping ranged effects because agents could only disable one trap at a time and they stopped moving to do so. with the final tier that meant wide hallways filled with plant traps which would kill literally anything. i dunno, maybe they patched that out? like everyone else, i lost interest.