Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hello and hi, i'm happy to report I've been sober of alcohol for 3+ years now, and I've recently kicked the weed addiction as well. I've had to quit both for multiple reasons. I respect peoples voluntary choices and this is not a place to bash drug/alcohol users, but i'd love to hear about how you may have kicked your addictions and what you do to stay on the wagon.

I have to fairly frequently remind myself that all my recent experiences with weed have been bad. it just gives me unshakable anxiety and it affects my life and work. it's getting easier all the time though. it's just not for me and I have to hold to that conviction.

how are yall doing? any success stories? anyone need help?

thanks, silver alicorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i live with my father in law who is a recovering alcoholic of 20 years and spent the latter part of his career as a drug and alcohol counsellor. before that he was in the merchant navy and spent most of the 60s and 70s wasted on a boat on whatever he could get his hands on

He’s an unusual guy and the addictive behaviour is very evident even without the booze/drugs. for example atm he’s obsessed with buying crystals and drives all over the country to get them. his room is filling up with them, but he’ll get over it in a month or so, sell them all online, then go into something else. he’s the same with furniture, blu rays, coke zero, pictures of old ships, etc

he goes to AA meetings 3 times a week and my wife and I can easily tell now when he has skipped a couple cos he gets increasingly crazy and obsessive or dogmatic about things

his daughter, my wife’s sister, realised she was an addict, got sober, and started regular AA meetings all before she was 20, which i think is pretty admirable. their family has a culture of AA where they are often looking at things through that lens and in general it’s very healthy. like, whenever there is some drama they just have it all out basically immediately and get it resolved within a couple of days rather than having grudges and bullshit hanging around like lots of fams (like mine) can do for years and years

i’ve realised now that my dad was an alcoholic and weedaholic for most of his life and it’s useful for me when i reflect on poo poo that happened when i was growing up

i’m not sure i necessarily subscribe to the addiction-as-disease approach but framing it that way definitely seems to have had practical positive outcomes for lots of people, not least my in-laws

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

also congrats silvy on your 3 year anniversary plus kicking the weed

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I gave up alcohol during the start of the lockdown since drinking + no gym is a dangerous combination. It's been a nice feeling, so I am going to continue it for the foreseeable future. I don't really know if i've replaced it with anything as I still drink the same large quantities of sparkling water, and water as before.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gentle Autist posted:

also congrats silvy on your 3 year anniversary plus kicking the weed

Yeah it's a big achievement, congrats goon.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i moved away from all my addict friends and just kind of got comfortable with the fact that the next N years were gonna be pretty grey and drab whilst i got my poo poo together

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i guess its harder to do for drugs that you can just buy in stores anywhere

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i stopped drinking and smoking weed when i went on the antidepressants. stopped doing drungs around mid twenties cause i started to get off on academic success. i dont really miss any of it tbh

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I am pleased to read your story, red panda fan. very pleased indeed.

I have never really been one to drink or drugs so I feel I have little to contribute. although I do drink alcohol, it is usually only on special occasions such as completing a day at work or successfully waking up in the morning.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I think weed is cool but one should partake responsibly, and that means abstaining if it has deleterious effects.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
good job, op!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think weed is cool but one should partake responsibly, and that means abstaining if it has deleterious effects.

yeah, agree. i have little patience for the meme of how it's impossible to use in a harmful or irresponsible manner

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i took a bunch of drugs and booze in the party years 18-23 but my major depressive disorder and comorbid anxiety always made it kind of a mostly unpleasant roller coaster. the booze was ok but jeez stuff like mdma and weed was not good

just realising that anxiety was a thing, giving it a name, and realising i wasn’t a shameful fool for feeling a bit of fear rolling into a party or music festival helped a lot in getting that poo poo under control. it put drugs into context and now i have no real desire to take them, despite having had some good times with them - i just know it’s not good for my mental health and isn’t worth it.

so, from my perspective, i would say if you feel like whatever substance you are taking is becoming a negative force in your life, examine to some extent whether you are self medicating and whether facing your mental/emotional health issues head on might be a healthier way of getting through

personally now i am on 75mcg of venlafaxine and have been for 5 years or so and life is pretty good. there was some level of shame or wounded pride in it for a while but i’ve got past that and realise it’s just the way my poo poo works, and i’ve found something that helps manage it. between that and some mental techniques and a good relationship I’m in a good place now. hopefully i can stay there

git apologist fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 14, 2021

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah same

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

for me I was convinced that weed was helping me cope with my anxiety but it was really the opposite effect and it was really hard to determine that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Silver Alicorn posted:

for me I was convinced that weed was helping me cope with my anxiety but it was really the opposite effect and it was really hard to determine that

Same, I used to get very anxious and paranoid whenever i'd smoke weed. When I moved across the county I had bought some CBD gummies that really seemed to help out. I've been having some troubles sleeping recently and am tempted to try them out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
cannabis is a gift from Mother Earth but don't let it mask your emotional responses.

Sometimes you've got to just face the pain in your life. Namaste