Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
They released a new trailer for the shredders revenge dlc showing off a survival mode, and you can upgrade your character ( power run I assume ) after stages. Including getting power ups to be able to turn into bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Ninja Warriors remaster just dropped for PC and I forgot how fun it was to zoom around as a three quarters of a ton metal ninja yeeting people into their allies.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 25, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I saw this in a PC Gamer article and it was an instant purchase, I'll report back as soon as I get a chance to actually play it:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1967260/Double_Dragon_Gaiden_Rise_Of_The_Dragons/

Edit: Eh, I beat it in 108 minutes, and I don't think there's anything else to do except unluck more special characters to play again, but honestly the combat is kind of clunky. It turned out that the character I picked the first time one very powerful special move that comes out almost instantly and one hit KOs entire groups of enemies, and I built my character around it during the rougelite progression mechanics. It's...alright. I'd say it's more in the "mother russia bleeds" tier where it's an OK beat em' up, but it's no Streets of Rage 4.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 31, 2023

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rushing Beat, the SNES beat em up series released in English as Rival Turf, Brawl Brothers and The Peacekeepers, is getting a new game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RtjFwXkIM

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/xa58gUr8Mm8

Are you loving playing Slave Zero X yet?! Because this is the raddest poo poo since SoR4.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jack Trades posted:

https://youtu.be/xa58gUr8Mm8

Are you loving playing Slave Zero X yet?! Because this is the raddest poo poo since SoR4.

That's Inuyasha

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's River City Girls 2? It's one of the games in this Fanatical Prestige Bundle and I'm kinda eyeing getting that and the Forgotten City. I heard the first game was grindy, but not too sure what the impressions are on the second one.

For reference, for beat em ups I mostly enjoy the Streets of Rage series (especially 4, speedran a few categories for a while), TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Alien vs Predator, Fight n Rage, Scott Pilgrim (this was grindy as hell too; but it was more of the "play with younger siblings game" a long time ago so not sure if it holds up at all).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm playing Dragon's Crown. It's really fun and I like the loot and other progression, but it also makes me long for a SoR4 quality Golden Axe or similar.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Artelier posted:

How's River City Girls 2? It's one of the games in this Fanatical Prestige Bundle and I'm kinda eyeing getting that and the Forgotten City. I heard the first game was grindy, but not too sure what the impressions are on the second one.

For reference, for beat em ups I mostly enjoy the Streets of Rage series (especially 4, speedran a few categories for a while), TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Alien vs Predator, Fight n Rage, Scott Pilgrim (this was grindy as hell too; but it was more of the "play with younger siblings game" a long time ago so not sure if it holds up at all).

Pretty much more of the same with more playable characters. There's some QoL streamlining and the map is expanded but the moment-to-moment gameplay is identical.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was playing King of Dragons on Steam, the arcade version, and I'm not sure how to use the shields? I grew up playing the SNES port and know it like the back of my hand, but the arcade version doesn't let you bind shields to a dedicated button.

I think you hold down and back? But that's hard because "back" is also just "walk that way" and, unlike a fighting game, you won't just crouch and automatically block, you'll turn around start walking away, because it's a beat em up.

It's hard for me to tell what part of the game I'm just not getting and what part is just tuned to take away quarters.

I'm becoming more and more interested on Japan's take on d&d in the 80's and 90's. I'll be honest, I tried the Mystara games and the combos feel bad, but it's gorgeous and more detailed than KoD so I'll try it again I'm sure.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was playing King of Dragons on Steam, the arcade version, and I'm not sure how to use the shields? I grew up playing the SNES port and know it like the back of my hand, but the arcade version doesn't let you bind shields to a dedicated button.

I think you hold down and back? But that's hard because "back" is also just "walk that way" and, unlike a fighting game, you won't just crouch and automatically block, you'll turn around start walking away, because it's a beat em up.

It's hard for me to tell what part of the game I'm just not getting and what part is just tuned to take away quarters.

I'm becoming more and more interested on Japan's take on d&d in the 80's and 90's. I'll be honest, I tried the Mystara games and the combos feel bad, but it's gorgeous and more detailed than KoD so I'll try it again I'm sure.

In the arcade, Blocking is a parry- you gotta tap back just before the attack would hit. This generally makes the arcade game much harder then the SNES port for the Fighter/Dwarf/Cleric, since blocking is pretty reliable in the SNES version.

e: You're probably thinking the arcade D&D games, where blocking is Hold Attack and Back.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks! I doubt I'll ever get any good at it but at least now I know what to try.