Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Dave Thorpe is from Humboldt, so it must be something awful
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/the-friend/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

haha OK!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Is it related to the squid?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Is t that where the avenue of the giants is? I love camping there.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

quote:

We still don't know a lot about our Friend," Grassley said. "It doesn't like questions, and you can't get very close to it. It doesn't like having its picture taken.

hahahaha

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

loleta is the town immediately south of eureka so no op, it is not something awful but is in fact ripping on s.a. by using a wiyot word that sounds like "lolita"

naem
May 29, 2011

Oscar Wild posted:

Is it related to the squid?

https://youtu.be/AQKs1-fwTgU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the "humboldt notch" was invented for felling large trees so that portion of wood removed, too heavy for men, would just slide out of the way

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Hey I live here! Wow, something about the place I currently live. How neat.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The Voice of Labor posted:

loleta is the town immediately south of eureka so no op, it is not something awful but is in fact ripping on s.a. by using a wiyot word that sounds like "lolita"

Thought I read that the writer of the book may have been to the area/been inspired by the area and so in a way the wiyot language may have been co opted into a word describing a pedo fetish. Also I work in loleta lol

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/UxvzjrDE1Kk

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Is this where they grew weed before it was cool

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Home of the majestic Humboldt Squid.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Is this where they grew weed before it was cool

weed was always cool

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I bought cheese there, it was good

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

titty_baby_ posted:

Thought I read that the writer of the book may have been to the area/been inspired by the area and so in a way the wiyot language may have been co opted into a word describing a pedo fetish. Also I work in loleta lol

It seems unlikely considering it's a Spanish name (a diminutive of Lola) and there's an earlier novel about a pedo whose victim was named Lolita that Nabakov was probably familiar with.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Turns out there's some cool stuff in Humboldt, like trees

(unrelated copses)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Trees fusing together into an eternal tree orgy, inviting people to walk through and join in.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Theres so many bigass old growth redwold stumps here that chopped down 50-100 years ago and then regrew rings of trunks. Weird massive rings of redwoods all fused at the base

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Might I recommend some Humboldt Fog?

Fun fact: due to climate change there's basically no fog in Humboldt anymore

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i went to humboldt for an ultimate tournament once upon a time

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
They say Humbolt men are like squid.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Can anyone help me find another job here? I hate mine

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Spikey dicks

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Humbolt Fog, that's not gonna pass in 2021

Cosby Cheddar

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Halloween Liker posted:

They say Humbolt men are like squid.
inky evacuations

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

titty_baby_ posted:

Cannabis Sales Support Associate

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the freeway coming into eureka used to be lined with GIANT metal sculptures, like tubing bent and welded into people and I think cows. coming in as a kid we would always hit it mid morning and it always seemed to be shrouded in fog

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

the freeway coming into eureka used to be lined with GIANT metal sculptures, like tubing bent and welded into people and I think cows. coming in as a kid we would always hit it mid morning and it always seemed to be shrouded in fog

Sculptures belong in kinetic races, not lining freeways

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Eureka was rough when I stopped there on a road trip a few years back. I think about 3 out of 4 people were clearly on H and/or amphetamines. The redwoods were amazing tho

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Vim Fuego posted:

Eureka was rough when I stopped there on a road trip a few years back. I think about 3 out of 4 people were clearly on H and/or amphetamines. The redwoods were amazing tho

Yeah around the 101 is pretty dire. My first time coming up it seemed just like the tenderloin lol. I drive thru it every day and see tweakers punch dancing, playing frogger, etc. Other parts of town are nice but the rot is real up here.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

And Whitey's on the moon!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

titty_baby_ posted:

Have you considered logging or logging related activities?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

titty_baby_ posted:

Yeah around the 101 is pretty dire. My first time coming up it seemed just like the tenderloin lol. I drive thru it every day and see tweakers punch dancing, playing frogger, etc. Other parts of town are nice but the rot is real up here.

drat, that's a shame. I'm looking up photos and that area's wild.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
HUMBOLDT COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES:

Ooh.

Ahh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Accretionist posted:

HUMBOLDT COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES:

Ooh.

Ahh.

Accretionist posted:

drat, that's a shame. I'm looking up photos and that area's wild.

It is a beautiful area, absolutely beautiful. I go outside my apt and look up and i see mist in the hills in the redwood forest above town. Just stunning. Lots of wonderful outdoor stuff to do when its not raining. I dont really mind the isolation or economic depression because its similar to where im from and im used to it.

Oscar Wild posted:

Have you considered logging or logging related activities?

I've actually eyeballed working at a lumber yard because it pays the same as what I make now and will probably have less bullshit. But I'd prefer to do a job where im unlikely to be physically injured. Logging as a whole is pretty bust compared to its peak, but the logging jobs, especially on the forestry/environmental compliance end, are good.

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 2, 2021