Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Caesar Saladin posted:

The part of The Office where the dude hits the warehouse guy with the mic boom is the worst thing in the show easily, and one of the worst moments from a decent tv show I can think of. Also that tiny little dude would have his head exploded by that giant warehouse worker after going "Ow" for a second.
i didnt like that scene and actually most of the jim pam stuff was pretty forced but that one is the worst

you could tell at a certain point the story arch was going to be JIM AND PAM and thats not a bad thing but it means that scenes like that kinda fall flat

it was way more interesting to see how dwight was going to wrangle angela

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Caesar Saladin posted:

The part of The Office where the dude hits the warehouse guy with the mic boom is the worst thing in the show easily, and one of the worst moments from a decent tv show I can think of. Also that tiny little dude would have his head exploded by that giant warehouse worker after going "Ow" for a second.

That whole arc where they try to set up a dramatic love triangle is honestly embarrassing, and I hope the writers are ashamed of their work.

naem
May 29, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

all of J.D.'s love interests in Scrubs look the same except for the black girl he dated for 2 episodes and that's honestly my biggest problem with the show

the Scrubs era was peak hot girl it’s been downhill since

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

china bot posted:

Parks and Rec broke all the mockumentary rules and I'll not stand for it

Both shows wanted to utilize soliloquy and asides, but they wanted to hide that they were doing it, possibly because they thought they'd be called nerds by the public, imo.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

naem posted:

the Scrubs era was peak hot girl it’s been downhill since

so many babes in that show for JD to date and Sarah Chalke was unbelievable back then

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

mysterious frankie posted:

Both shows wanted to utilize soliloquy and asides, but they wanted to hide that they were doing it, possibly because they thought they'd be called nerds by the public, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izj2xo97D9k

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Parks and Rec got to the point where they'd have like one talking head per episode. and it was otherwise shot like a standard single cam sitcom.

I've got to hand it to The Office for seeing through the camera crew premise, even going as far as to actually follow through with it and have the documentary released as part of the story. On the other hand, sometimes I wish they had dropped it, as it did become increasingly absurd for a film crew to be filming these situations, and how they would even accomplish some of the moments. I find myself having to mentally block that out sometimes when I watch the show. Another thing is often when they are cutting between so many camera angles, the other camera operators would be in the shots if it were real.

Aside from requiring the camera crew to be present in weird or impossible locations, the mockumentary conceit also forced every character's major life events and relationships to involve the office in some way. By the end, the show is basically positing a hellworld where nothing happens in anyone's life that isn't related to work.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why, that sounds just like real life

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Communist Walrus posted:

Aside from requiring the camera crew to be present in weird or impossible locations, the mockumentary conceit also forced every character's major life events and relationships to involve the office in some way. By the end, the show is basically positing a hellworld where nothing happens in anyone's life that isn't related to work.

The Office is an SCP in-universe

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why, that sounds just like real life

What's objectionable is that the show treats it as a good and heartwarming thing.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think the deep metanarrative of the series is that Jim and Pam are crushingly average nothing people

I agree but also I really like the way Pam bounces off Jim and vice versa, and they are the only heterosexual relationship I've ever condoned

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

alexandriao posted:

I agree but also I really like the way Pam bounces off Jim and vice versa, and they are the only heterosexual relationship I've ever condoned

Better that they suck the life out of one another than an innocent

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I really want Toby to show up on an episode of What We Do In The Shadows at like an energy vampire convention or something

naem
May 29, 2011

Jim and Pam are a celebration of the average which, mathematically, most of us are

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Remember when Pam thought it was a good idea to quit her job and go work for Michael?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Zugzwang posted:

Remember when Pam thought it was a good idea to quit her job and go work for Michael?

Ok but I gel with this for two reasons:

- One, would you rather gently caress around and find out for 6 months, versus continue to work as a perfectly boring receptionist

- Two, Scott was doing better with sales than Mifflin, so it's not a *long* stretch that if he actually applied himself and stopped being an rear end for 2m, he could go somewhere

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Code Jockey posted:

I really want Toby to show up on an episode of What We Do In The Shadows at like an energy vampire convention or something

Toby is unironically my favorite character on the show. It's hard to play a boring loser while still being oddly likeable.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

alexandriao posted:

if he actually applied himself and stopped being an rear end for 2m, he could go somewhere
Yes but, Michael.

He was excellent at sales though, it's true. He's an example of why your best person in sales/engineering/whatever shouldn't necessarily be promoted to manager.

I don't think they ever really explained how the Scranton branch managed to do so well given how bad Michael was at his non-sales job. Maybe because they had the company's best salesperson (Dwight) and because the other people like Stanley were really good at just keeping their heads down and working hard regardless of how dumb their boss was?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Zugzwang posted:

Yes but, Michael.

He was excellent at sales though, it's true. He's an example of why your best person in sales/engineering/whatever shouldn't necessarily be promoted to manager.

I don't think they ever really explained how the Scranton branch managed to do so well given how bad Michael was at his non-sales job. Maybe because they had the company's best salesperson (Dwight) and because the other people like Stanley were really good at just keeping their heads down and working hard regardless of how dumb their boss was?

I remember it being heavily implied that while Scott was heavily inappropriate and disruptive, he also managed to keep people on their toes and made people engaged in the job, in his way. He kept morale up, if only by people being comrades in arms against his incoherent management style.

naem
May 29, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

I remember it being heavily implied that while Scott was heavily inappropriate and disruptive, he also managed to keep people on their toes and made people engaged in the job, in his way. He kept morale up, if only by people being comrades in arms against his incoherent management style.

all the visits to the new york main office made it clear this was a failing business run by disinterested executives, M showed up every day full of excitement and enthusiasm he was an asset by comparison

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'd rather want an insane manager than one who's leering over my back every waking second.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A regional business that specializes in office supply to small businesses in mid-sized Northeastern cities should absolutely not have its corporate offices be located in a manhattan skyscraper. Just not doing that may have been enough to avoid bankruptcy imo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It was a money laundering scheme.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Who What Now posted:

It was a money laundering scheme.

It could be that, but a few friends of mine did artwork for a small startup a few decades back and uhhhh.

They were a small startup and could barely afford artists but they could definitely all afford porsches and rolexes and the like. They went bust a few months later.

What I'm saying is there are absolutely people who think running a company is all suns and roses and behave like they've Made It Big before they actually have, and that's absolutely what the Mifflin execs were doing, that's what that one episode was demonstrating

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 4, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Cosmik Slop posted:

Toby is unironically my favorite character on the show. It's hard to play a boring loser while still being oddly likeable.

the part where he puts his hand on Pam's leg and its so awkward that he has to run away and hop the fence and jog home is just so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psu9eE8ualg&t=183s

The guy was also a producer on King of the Hill, a way better show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHP2Ep73Fk4&t=23s

What's this exchange? It sounds like saying something about a hospital and then steve says something to make them break

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Caesar Saladin posted:

the part where he puts his hand on Pam's leg and its so awkward that he has to run away and hop the fence and jog home is just so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psu9eE8ualg&t=183s

The guy was also a producer on King of the Hill, a way better show.
There's also this lovely moment where he wants to get a picture with Pam before he leaves for Costa Rica, but there's no camera around (and this is pre-smartphone era, soo):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiodEiIRiE8

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I think Toby was supposed to be a one off character but the writers/directors liked him so much they kept him

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Toby (Paul Lieberstein), Ryan (BJ Novak), and Kelly (Mindy Kaling) were all writers for the show.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I love the moment during the christening episode where Toby finally works up the nerve to enter church and ask god why he's so mean. I simultaneously felt bad for him, related, and wanted to punch him in the arm. Really encapsulates the whole Toby experience.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Toby is the one character on the show not to have anywhere near a happy ending.

naem
May 29, 2011

I mean he was the Scranton strangler

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

PizzaProwler posted:

Toby (Paul Lieberstein), Ryan (BJ Novak), and Kelly (Mindy Kaling) were all writers for the show.

Oops. Yeah he wasn't "some guy" as I thought but his character wasn't supposed to be a regular.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

did michael ever have a genuine not lovely moment with toby? The closest I can think of is when he convinces them to let them out of the conference room in the convict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

my wife has been rewatching this and it's made me think of the ending and how bizarre it was that they leaned hard into the documentary after basically handwaving/ignoring it for nine years

like i can't help but ask what the pitch those filmmakers must have put together was like. "so we're going to find a boring small branch of a dying industry and film them until they inevitably go bankrupt." "and if they don't?" "lol they definitely will but we'll cut it off at like a decade or something at most"