Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

After afurious day of writing, I just made it to my actual scheduled deadline. But I made new problems when it ended up not going how I expected. That's for tomorrow me to figure out I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Four and a half pages tonight for me, which was one and bit of scene and the rest of it is an extremely oddly structured song. I've finished the opening chunk of the script (1/4 of my outline, at 17 pages) and the next section will have a time jump that I don't exactly know how to start so I suppose I'm going to go sleep on it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I've had some personal relationship stuff blow up in my face, I'm definitely out of the running. Sorry everyone :(

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
:smith: Do what you gotta do to deal with life, the script will always be there!

When ScriptFrenzy wraps up in a few days, I'll start a new script writing thread where we can all keep cheering each other on and eventually see these scripts through to completion (and eventual rewrites).

I'm at the top of page 22 today, after finishing a stanza of 35 straight identity rhymes, which I hope to eventually set to music at the speed of I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General. This last scene is full of really terrible dummy lyrics that will probably bear zero resemblance to anything in the final form and is really more of a brain dump than anything.

Also this was a scene/song that I did not plan to write but when I got to the end of the third planned scene, I had a time skip of like 4-5 years that I wasn't really sure how to handle so that means I put a song in so if/when this gets staged I can rely on the wonderful magic of musical theatre to handle the time skip.

EDIT: I used "eventually" way too many times in this post.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Welp, finished my script, but only got to 82 pages. My treatment kind of went differently than the script so I'm gonna try and see what I can do to fatten it up. Want to aleast try for a respectable 90. The thing is I made a huge choice on how I wanted to show things in relation to the main character. I need to decide whether I can continue with that or throw it out. Because if I were to write it conventionally i'd have more than enough pages.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Well god dammit I just learned about this today. I'm a songwriter/composer. I'd really love to collaborate on a musical with someone next time out, the weirder the better.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

bushisms.txt posted:

Welp, finished my script

Wooo! :woop: With life taking so many of us out, I'd say this is a win for you and a win for the thread.

Trig Discipline posted:

Well god dammit I just learned about this today. I'm a songwriter/composer. I'd really love to collaborate on a musical with someone next time out, the weirder the better.

Yay a fellow musical buddy! :):hf::) There'll be plenty of opportunities in the future. I'd like to run another script challenge later in the year, but maybe for shorts instead of a full show/feature. I'd be game to collaborate on a weird 5-15 minute internet musical.

sebmojo posted:

If someone makes a gang tag I'm happy to give it to everyone who succeeds in getting their script done.

I'm not sure of the likelihood of anyone hitting the 100 page target so we may not have a winner, but could we give bushisms a champion gang tag for finishing the script? I took a crack at one (attached) - I had grand plans for it to be animated so it would type the text and to have pages flying out the back of the typewriter into a neat stack behind/next to the typewriter but I am new to pixel art and that requires a lot more skill/time than I currently have.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Leng posted:

Yay a fellow musical buddy! :):hf::) There'll be plenty of opportunities in the future. I'd like to run another script challenge later in the year, but maybe for shorts instead of a full show/feature. I'd be game to collaborate on a weird 5-15 minute internet musical.

Sweet! I always tend to use stories as a jumping off point to write an album anyway; I just tend to be very story-motivated. My newest album is basically a musical without a script, as is the followup I'm currently working on.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Leng posted:

Wooo! :woop: With life taking so many of us out, I'd say this is a win for you and a win for the thread.

I'm not sure of the likelihood of anyone hitting the 100 page target so we may not have a winner, but could we give bushisms a champion gang tag for finishing the script? I took a crack at one (attached) - I had grand plans for it to be animated so it would type the text and to have pages flying out the back of the typewriter into a neat stack behind/next to the typewriter but I am new to pixel art and that requires a lot more skill/time than I currently have.

Lol thanks, I wasn't planning on winning anything. Mostly thanks for the thread, needed some motivation to sit down and push this thing out. I've been sitting on the concept for a while but had no impetus to do anything with it. I'm usually doing a lot softer and usually social tinged things. This was a chance to have a little fun, though it was stressful in a whole different way.

But don't crown me until you at least glance at the work, might be bad enough to disqualify lol

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gZzo0a7-I_SgLZ5LZq_iGtgSJySn7lVM/view?usp=sharing updated link

CW violent gore depiction

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 29, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
^^^^^ I'll read it over and give you some feedback tomorrow! I've got 2 hours left of Script Frenzy in Australia so I'm gonna knuckle down and try to knock out one more scene to hopefully get over the 25 page mark.

In future I'm going to do my best to avoid scheduling a book launch and a creative writing challenge at the same time :v: my brain just doesn't have the bandwidth for it so the panic monster freaking about the book launch is always going to win over writing time.

:siren: SCRIPT FRENZY IS OVER!! :siren:

At least in Australia! I just eked out a few stanzas at the top of page 25. This scene/number is not quite finished, but I'm stopping here for now in the spirit of Script Frenzy and will continue on later.

Overall, I think I had 6 writing days during April and produced 5 scenes/songs in total. Most require a lot of rewriting but that's a lot faster than I normally get stuff down. Usually I spend days and days agonizing about the book before even starting. Assuming I don't shoot myself in the foot schedule-wise next time, 100 pages in 30 days should be eminently doable!

Leng fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Hey everybody, life got away from me so I totally failed at setting up a general/ongoing script writing thread! But PHIZ KALIFA has us covered over here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987481

Please jump over to say hi and chat about stuff you're working on!