Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Promethium posted:

I'm pretty sure this was the plot from the Butterfly Effect movie.

Protagonist goes back in time repeatedly to fix everything and ultimately with his last chance decides to delete himself from the timeline, everyone else lives happily ever after.

A very nice moral for the children! I didn't really register that Alice was Fubuki's fiancee and not Karen's until I talked to others who'd played the game, which made things even more odd. Honestly, I was kind of let down with where the plot went in the last act. It felt like they had something really interesting set up with Yakumo being in cryo under Suoh for 3,000 years and the civil war coming to a head, but it being Karen instead felt like they didn't know where to go with Yakumo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Scarlet Nexus: that wizard came from the moon

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://youtu.be/WWRHKespmQw5

A patch added some extra options.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Junpei posted:

https://youtu.be/WWRHKespmQw5

A patch added some extra options.

A bunch of QoL options, that's really cool of them.

I wonder if turning off the SAS animations also applies for the last fight or that's part of the cutscene.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I keep thinking about doing the other character route then remember that literally only the post final boss save counts as a clear save for NG+ and I saved over it without realising because that's an incredibly dumb way of doing it.
I could just beat the boss again but eh

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I did the same but eventually went and did all of the side quests before doing the final boss over, which was easier on a rematch.

For the second phase, you can down its entire health bar with Hypervelocity, Psychokinesis, Clairvoyance and Duplication (max bond for Hyper gives a refill on a telekinesis follow up attack) in one use with the right timing for SAS refuel. I managed two brain crushes before the cinematic one, and I only had to down the first statue.

Still giving some time before I go on the other route, but I wonder what other stuff they might toss in with patches now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God no this game has the worst side quests I've ever seen.

Just make me kill 5 things not with a specific power I have to carefully set up and hope that it actually kills it and it doesnt randomly decide to not count

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

God no this game has the worst side quests I've ever seen.

Just make me kill 5 things not with a specific power I have to carefully set up and hope that it actually kills it and it doesnt randomly decide to not count

For what it's worth you can complete every "finish with ____" by using that attack on an enemy in Brain Crush stance before using the crush.

Tedious but it still gave me a reason to dick around with the combat post-story.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I'm confused about the optimal order for playing the story. Should I create 2 save files and play both Yuito's and Kasane's story at the same time a la Yakuza 0 or should I play Yuito's story to completion first before switching to Kasane?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

You'll want to do one than the other. If you play them in parallel you miss out on a unified post-game save.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

They just announced both free content and a DLC pack for the game.

I didn't think they were going to add anything at all after the initial release but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I assume those 5 each for each character will be the "Core Four" for each + the other protagonist

So:
Yuito: Hanabi, Gemma, Tsugumi, Luka, Kasane
Kasane: Shiden, Kyoka, Arashi, Kagero, Yuito

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Curious to see where they take place in the story.

Hopefully the challenges are more involved than the side-quests, I do enjoy any reason to play the game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Honestly, I'm still kind of hoping for a SN 2.

Like, there's enough there for another game. Keep Kasane as a hero and Kagero and Kyoka with her doing their moon investigation, while Yuito has moved off the battlefield and into commanding/politics so a new protag and maybe some new SAS connectors can work under him working on figuring out what's behind Others and possibly expanding the area that humanity can live in

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Junpei posted:

Honestly, I'm still kind of hoping for a SN 2.

Like, there's enough there for another game. Keep Kasane as a hero and Kagero and Kyoka with her doing their moon investigation, while Yuito has moved off the battlefield and into commanding/politics so a new protag and maybe some new SAS connectors can work under him working on figuring out what's behind Others and possibly expanding the area that humanity can live in

I like that. I'd also be up for seeing more of the three way civil war that kind of got brushed aside for Karen.

Apparently the anime did surprisingly well, which helps the chances of a sequel.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I liked this game well enough, there's just not a whole lot to say about it. It was smart to release it at a time where there wasn't a whole lot to compete with it, because otherwise I probably wouldn't have picked it up. I think the game has a really cool aesthetic, but it didn't go in quite as hard as it should have in both the gameplay and story.

I would love to see them try again, so I hope this game did well enough. I don't really know if it sold particularly well, or what the general reception was.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It seems like it sold decently enough if they're producing more content for it and the anime was apparently a decent hit too.

The chances of a sequel are reasonably high.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope the sequel has enough budget to make the cutscenes not static images

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Arashi Bond Episode 2 Yuito Route: So, Arashi create what is basically a power nullifier. That program would be devastating for disabling enemy combatant (and it would very suck fighting 3 vs 3 without using powers). But she just uses it to prevent people from overworking.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The technology it's based on/uses the psychic internet and computers and stuff that the OSF uses, it wouldn't have any effect on Others.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I'm not talking about vs Other though. I'm talking about using it against the opposing OSF member since there's a civil war going on.

Brain Field sucks against bosses. Anything that isn't psychokinesis throw leaves you wide open from bosses' attack. 50% damage reduction is a must.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

I'm not talking about vs Other though. I'm talking about using it against the opposing OSF member since there's a civil war going on.

Brain Field sucks against bosses. Anything that isn't psychokinesis throw leaves you wide open from bosses' attack. 50% damage reduction is a must.

You can get 100% damage reduction, and you probably should.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Something finally clicked for me that I wish the game had more of:

I wish we had been able to use the various abilities for puzzles and stuff. Now I'm kind of wishing for a Zelda-alike where every dungeon you got a new psychic ability that was useful in combat but could also be used for puzzle solving.

Not that this isn't good as a beat-'em'-up, it is, but just... maybe think about a spin-off, or a story in a similar but separate universe or something, B-Namco?

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Shiden Bond Episode 2 Yuito Route: Yuito is jarringly out of character in this bond episode. Shiden offers to give combat advice to Yuito. Sure his words are harsh, but those are actually legit advice. But Yuito gets ticked almost immediately and acts defensive and hostile towards Shiden, which is weird considering Shiden never made actual personal insults (right up until he said "Baki sucks"). Is Yuito still hold grudges from previous 3 vs 3 fight or if the jp script is different from en script?

Shock status effect are very dangerous since it locks you in place from a few seconds and there's nothing you could do about it. Fortunately, the enemies aren't cruel to mob you while you're down.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 15, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shiden Bond Episode 2 Yuito Route: Yuito is jarringly out of character in this bond episode. Shiden offers to give combat advice to Yuito. Sure his words are harsh, but those are actually legit advice. But Yuito gets ticked almost immediately and acts defensive and hostile towards Shiden, which is weird considering Shiden never made actual personal insults (right up until he said "Baki sucks"). Is Yuito still hold grudges from previous 3 vs 3 fight or if the jp script is different from en script?

Shock status effect are very dangerous since it locks you in place from a few seconds and there's nothing you could do about it. Fortunately, the enemies aren't cruel to mob you while you're down.

Shiden was an aggressive rear end in a top hat for most of the training exercise and also there is the whole civil war thing going on.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm confused about the optimal order for playing the story. Should I create 2 save files and play both Yuito's and Kasane's story at the same time a la Yakuza 0 or should I play Yuito's story to completion first before switching to Kasane?

This is presumably be too late to be helpful, but I think alternating between them is the way to go if you care about playing both sides. Yeah, you can get a unified save doing them consecutively, but why would you want to keep playing after you beat the game twice anyway? I intended to go back and play Yuito's route later, but even before I finished Kasane's route I decided there was no way I was starting over again.

Overall I think Yahtzee's review was pretty accurate, if obviously a bit unkind. The thing that resonated the most was how the bond episodes felt like slamming on the brakes super hard a lot of the time, especially later on when I was just kind of ready to finish it. I made the mistake of playing Nier Replicant and Nier Automata while I was working my way through this, and while switching to other games partway in already kind of indicated I wasn't super super invested here, playing better games also made me like this one less.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

DLC Set 2 is out.

Paid DLC – “Bond Enhancement Pack 2”

New costumes and weapon skins for all playable characters in collaboration with famed artist DaisukeRichard.

10 new Bond Episodes to further expand upon character relationships.

New power-specific effects when using SAS to connect with an ally who has learned Nexus Drive.

Free Update Ver. 1.05

Battle Simulator– rematch against boss fights from the main story campaign as well as from challenge missions.

Over 20 new challenges for players to test their skills.

A new lineup of “Exchange” items in the Shop that includes plugins, weapons, and more.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
It's nice that we now have post game challenges. And it's actually hard. Which is good. I can't instant kill stuff with Electrokinesis-Invisibility-Psychokinesis SAS combo and the arena exclusive enemy kicked my rear end.

Redoing the first Yuito vs Kasane fight is hilarious since your opponent don't stand a chance against your full party SAS.

The DLC story is pretty good. While Yuito and Kasane each have 5 bond episode, the episode each features 2 party members which opens up more unique interactions. Although it's only 1-2 hours worth of content which may not worth your wallet.

The Crush Vision is just fluff. You don't need the ability to chain instant kill. Besides, you meed to go out of your way to trigger it. Also, your party member's instant kill animation is pretty lame in my opinion.

The Nexus Drive on the other hand... Now you benefit greatly from your party member's Brain Drive.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 17, 2021

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I grabbed this the day it hit Game Pass, played the tutorial and noped out to play other games. The combat at the time didn’t feel great and I just bailed.

I was…well not wrong. The combat is more varied but it still doesn’t feel stellar like say, a Bayonetta. But my god this game’s story is just absolutely loving bonkers and I’m into it. Looks nice on a Series X. Anyways, I’m in chapter 8 and avoiding spoilers because I want to be surprised.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I heard that they added/changed some of the mechanics in patches. They don't happen to have added dodge cancelling at any point? Lack of dodge cancelling in this kind of game is the main reason why I dropped the game hard.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Dodge canceling would make it too easy imo, but you can cancel into teammate attacks and into the psi power activation stuff which is what made it feel good enough to me in the demo to play full release.

Studios getting screwed over aside, with the Funimation buyout all the SN anime episodes are up on Crunchyroll now, no idea if it's any good yet and if you have Gamep rear end may be a perk to redeem there for a 3 mo crunchy trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Oh my god, why is there a PHOTO MODE prompt in every cutscene that will not go away?