Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I’m really liking the warlock imp/curse hybrid deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Nerf quest Hunters just because their turns take too long and it annoys me

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Luff posted:

Taking a break from playing Edwin and making giant early game boards

Yep, Naga Priest can do some absolutely disgusting stuff. I'm not sure if I actually enjoy the deck, but it's not often that Priest gets an efficient way to ladder. You run into a lot of neat lethal puzzles too, which can be fun. I don't know if I can think of another historical deck where opponents can't leave anything on the board or risk dying from turn 4 (...well, other than maybe an old Inner Fire deck, but even those typically needed a fat body to get started - I've killed people from 20+ with nothing but a 3/2 with this new iteration on the theme).

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Luff posted:

Taking a break from playing Edwin and making giant early game boards

It's weird to see screenshots without a deck tracker on on them. Also weird how many people use that 30 year card back.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Some mild spice atop all the other spice from this week:

https://twitter.com/ViciousHS/status/1561341500277116928

https://twitter.com/ZachODR/status/1561430707976675328

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

just got my GM-watching packs

just two rares but at least it seems to be getting fixed

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I'm really glad Blizzard is more willing to make changes and take risks with their balance patches (remember 13 months of Patches the pirate?) but between those and the mini sets it seems like it's really shown that they have a very particular way of designing cards, sets and classes that they do not fully understand the ramifications of.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I would love for Blizzard to comb through all the old sets and see what never sees play and buff a few cards per set. The power creep has been insane and a LOT of cards could get slightly buffed to make them playable again.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Desert Bus posted:

I would love for Blizzard to comb through all the old sets and see what never sees play and buff a few cards per set. The power creep has been insane and a LOT of cards could get slightly buffed to make them playable again.

That doesn’t fix the issue though.

Once you’re out of whack because you printed too many power cards, ‘buff everything else’ doesn’t correct the issue any more than adding +10HP has done. It makes the game swing on hand/play too much, because it’s too easy to delete stats on the board regardless of what number you put on them. (Well, you can put truly stupid 30/30 win con Minions in, but that just moves the issue about).

There’s (unfortunately) a natural tension between the game and revenue generation. HUGE PLAYS effects that make people upload videos with shockedface.jpg, comic font META BREAKER, neon background make bank. That’s a story older than CCG/LCGs, that keeps recurring. So even if the team wants to change the direction, maybe they can’t. I’m also okay to say ‘Maybe Team 5 see this as a desirable state’, too. Maybe they like it this way, and that’s okay. It’s becoming less for me personally but design philosophy isn’t really objective either.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 21, 2022

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It 100% would not fix any issues, but it would make a LOT of the old cards no one plays playable again if they did it right. Seems to me like making Wild more playable would draw in more revenue as people will want to buy Wild packs again.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

AnacondaHL posted:

Some mild spice atop all the other spice from this week:
I feel like the data isn't terribly surprising other than apparently Imp Warlock not really being a thing. I played a bunch of it during the first week and thought it seemed fun and strong for a board based deck but apparently it isn't competitive against the big hitters.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Saying that the problem is the snowfall guardian nerf is so insane -- if shaman is unplayable if they can't freeze the board and play a 3 or 6 mana 10/10+ four times every game, then maybe you should fix the class's other cards!

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Looking at that Paladin number and thinking about the Nathria cards and what do you even do there?

Elitist Snob is probably fair right now but I don't think you can really reduce it's cost and increasing it's stats doesn't exactly help anyone's win rate. How often did anybody die to an unanswered Zilliax? Muckborn Servant is fine, again; not really something that would swing anything even if you buffed it since there aren't a lot of game changing Paladin cards to discover.

The Silver Hand package isn't really buff friendly either; they could reduce the Infuse cost for Biggun but how much would that actually do? Stewart is just a dead idea unless you make him into a 1 mana 1/2 or something and even then... Sous Chef could give you more recruits but again so what. Promotion is just a terrible card.

I don't have any idea what Divine Toll is even supposed to be; if you made it 'Deal 2 damage to all enemy minions and give all friendly minions +2 / +2' it most likely still wouldn't be played.

The Countess is just a dumb meme generator that they've already buffed once but Pure only ever came close to working because of the Librams and they're gone so...

The location is weak and doesn't do anything most of the time. Service Bell is really weird and I don't know what it is doing in Paladin.

EDIT: Really stupid Divine Toll buff suggestion -- 'Shoot 5 random rays; they give friendly minions +2 / +2 and deal 2 damage to enemies. Increase the number of rays by 1 for each Silver Hand Recruit that has died this game' Yes, it is basically Kel'Thuzad for Paladins but the Silver Hand Recruits are, at base, worse than the Skeletons so having two of them in your deck is totally fair.

NorgLyle fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 22, 2022

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

NorgLyle posted:

Looking at that Paladin number and thinking about the Nathria cards and what do you even do there?

Elitist Snob is probably fair right now but I don't think you can really reduce it's cost and increasing it's stats doesn't exactly help anyone's win rate. How often did anybody die to an unanswered Zilliax? Muckborn Servant is fine, again; not really something that would swing anything even if you buffed it since there aren't a lot of game changing Paladin cards to discover.

The Silver Hand package isn't really buff friendly either; they could reduce the Infuse cost for Biggun but how much would that actually do? Stewart is just a dead idea unless you make him into a 1 mana 1/2 or something and even then... Sous Chef could give you more recruits but again so what. Promotion is just a terrible card.

I don't have any idea what Divine Toll is even supposed to be; if you made it 'Deal 2 damage to all enemy minions and give all friendly minions +2 / +2' it most likely still wouldn't be played.

The Countess is just a dumb meme generator that they've already buffed once but Pure only ever came close to working because of the Librams and they're gone so...

The location is weak and doesn't do anything most of the time. Service Bell is really weird and I don't know what it is doing in Paladin.

EDIT: Really stupid Divine Toll buff suggestion -- 'Shoot 5 random rays; they give friendly minions +2 / +2 and deal 2 damage to enemies. Increase the number of rays by 1 for each Silver Hand Recruit that has died this game' Yes, it is basically Kel'Thuzad for Paladins but the Silver Hand Recruits are, at base, worse than the Skeletons so having two of them in your deck is totally fair.

Service Bell to 2 mana, Muckborn Servant to a 2/5. Maybe buff the quest somehow; perhaps it could also summon a 1/1 after the first stage? I wouldn't touch Divine Toll, because it's so bad that it's safer to leave as a write-off. I actually think Promotion is a pretty good card; with a hero power it's a 3-mana 4/4 taunt. Stewart... honestly, the stats don't matter much, the problem is that you can't draw well enough to play it consistently on curve.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Firebert posted:

Saying that the problem is the snowfall guardian nerf is so insane -- if shaman is unplayable if they can't freeze the board and play a 3 or 6 mana 10/10+ four times every game, then maybe you should fix the class's other cards!

Seriously lol

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Firebert posted:

I’m not sure it’s that simple, there’s a similar situation with Guff in Druid and Mage might not even be playable without Hero Varden. Some cards are apparently just backbones. It’s like, if you nerfed the 3/2 Murloc you’d be shooting out 6-8 cards in the deck and it might be hosed, but a lot more extreme. They enable you to play a lot of other cards in the decks.

I doubt Snowfall gets reverted though, or that such a low Hunter/Warlock trickles down farther than D5. Meati seems to think Shaman might still be worth playing even, we’ll see.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
On the plus side, WoW Druids and Hearthstone Druids are finally aligned.

They both have to be the best at everything whilst also keeping the option to do everything else.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Guff giving empty mana crystals from the battlecry/hero power would be a good way to chip away at the card's power level without totally ruining it. I don't think it would mess with any current Druid lists that run Guff; the card would still be really solid. Just feel like the whole idea behind the ramp archetype is "I do nothing on this turn so I can do more on the next one" and the mana refund does too much to eliminate that weakness. For consistency's sake you might want to hit Nourish too but I feel like that's a pretty fair card that doesn't need adjustment

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Guff is annoying, but it's not the problem for the class. The problem is that Druid has the best tutoring in the game right now to go along with Guff. It's not that Druid has insane draw in and of itself, but that they are extremely good at getting exactly the card they need.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The major problem with this format in my opinion is that it’s too easy to poo poo out unreasonable amounts of stats early in the game, to the point that the only way to keep them in check is repetitive freezing. The freezing locks out a bunch of decks from being even remotely viable, but without it you’re just going to get clocked by a 20/20 on turn six, so nerfing the freeze causes more problems than it solves.

Don’t really know how you fix this. The whole identity of the Nathria sets for Rogue and Priest (and Warrior, though it’s not good currently) was making giant dudes, and they seem bizarrely resistant to reigning in Druid ramp at all.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I'm mostly enjoying the meta, aside from match-ups against Ramp Druid (where I lose 80%) and Quest Hunter (where I generally win but find it annoying to play against).

I guess it is fairly rock-paper-scissory and there are minor annoyances playing against any given deck, but I'm surprised it's that skewed at high levels. I used control shaman to get the Muck Pool evolution achievement and it seems fine without the mega stat gain after freezing a board.

Edit: Scale of Onyxia is still my most hated card in Standard. It gives Druid too much flexibility in terms of board clearing and/or board pressure after ramping, minimizing the risk meant to be associated with ramping.

Jolly Jumbuck fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 22, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Kibler is streaming the 'unplayable' classes all day long today, should be interesting.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I 100% honestly don't want to be responsible for this!

Is it time for a new OP?

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 22, 2022

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

With info on Prime deals, how to best manage Golds, Meta decks that have stood the test of time, etc. We're a smart bunch.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Feels like we could start anew? A refresh, some commentary on the diff metas? Explain the formats to new people. Etc.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Go back and read the first 5-10 pages of this thread and then try and come back and tell me it's not time for a reboot. IT'S TIME

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Desert Bus posted:

Go back and read the first 5-10 pages of this thread and then try and come back and tell me it's not time for a reboot. IT'S TIME

As long as we get to keep this, the best post in the thread:

Tin Tim posted:

Hello is this the wizard poker therapy group?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Haha, first time pulling off stealing the priest quest reward creature that makes the win the game card, then managing to draw the win the game card

take that, priest.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Tin Tim posted:

Hello is this the wizard poker therapy group?

This should be the first post in the thread.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Pardot posted:

Haha, first time pulling off stealing the priest quest reward creature that makes the win the game card, then managing to draw the win the game card

take that, priest.

Mods??

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I did a thing:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010603

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Pardot posted:

take that, priest.

This is clearly fake, since according to this elaborate photoshop, you have not drawn/played Guff before/on turn 5, which, in my experience facing druids, is downright impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Go to the new thread