Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also reminder that Season 6 begins on October 1st (hopefully this one’s less of a mess both narratively and animation wise than the last one was)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ah yes, hope. :negative:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Well there’s no movie that I’m aware of scheduled during the show this time around so that’s something at least

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Hey, by my reckoning, MHA had two outstanding seasons (2 and 3), two good seasons (1 and 4) and only one bad seasons (5). Hope is justified.

A couple people are telling me the series in general goes to absolute poo poo but I have faith. I realize other good series went downhill too but I'm definitely gonna keep an open mind and keep watching.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The outcry over the last few chapters was enough to get me to check out what's going on and I'm seriously hoping they redo the plot in the animated adaptation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

The outcry over the last few chapters was enough to get me to check out what's going on and I'm seriously hoping they redo the plot in the animated adaptation.

The current arc is still a few seasons off from where the anime is though. If S6 is covering the arcs I think it’s going to cover there’s a chance it might be decent if they don’t skimp too much on the animation.

I remember some of the upcoming arcs being pretty violent in the manga as well though so we’ll see how that goes

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Be hopeful and don't worry about matching quality of the manga. If they keep the anime on season 5 level they will match the manga within one or two seasons! :v:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There honestly isn't anything in the manga ahead even worth adapting, especially after they ruined MVA. Treat it as something to hatewatch and make fun of, you'll at least get a little enjoyment from it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FilthyImp posted:

Any vague, non-spoilery explanation?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mordja posted:

Did you read/watch Naruto's ending?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mordja posted:

The manga thread makes it sound like it's become the worst manga ever written, but really the big problem is that it's essentially reached the narrative climax (and the lead up to that felt pretty rushed) and now it's just spinning its wheels. If you read/watched Naruto and remembered that last War arc we're kind of in that territory pacing-wise.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 18, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mordja posted:

I'm not spoiling things in the thread, but I wi use spoiler tags for the very generic explanation out of courtesy for whomever doesn't want to know

like the poster above said, it's pretty much the endgame. But the author was either Told it was ending or decided he Wanted to wrap up soon so it's a mad dash to get everything done.

Remember in DBZ when the EARTH SPECIAL FORCES are like "ok man we're gonna fight these Saiyans!" and the audience is like "oh poo poo is GOKU going to get here in time to save the day and will he be powerful enough to stand against the mighty Nappa?!" imagine that but real lovely while like 4 different fights are going on at the same time so anything mildly climactic and cool gets cut away to see what ChiChi is doing at Roshi's island.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As Larryb said, it seems like we're still a good ways off from all this, even if it is bad. I was told like a year ago that Dabi's reveal was still far away from Season 5's events and obviously the manga has pulled ahead even more since then.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Keep in mind that a huge part of the problem with the manga is that we're reading it chapter by chapter and sometimes there are lengthy breaks in between chapters, which makes the entire thing feel simultaneously rushed and painfully drawn out. It's entirely possible that even if you think the plot is kind of dumb, it'll work way better as an anime.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s also very fight heavy so a lot depends on whether another of those movies comes along to leech away the budget

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
At the store, I saw a little manga called My Hero Academia: Ultra Analysis that's apparently the second character book for the series. Pretty dull, but some fun tidbits:

- Each character is given a letter-grade for various attributes. Todoroki is the only classmate to get an S for power (Deku gets an A+ and Bakugo gets an A).
- Todoroki is labeled an airhead, which is fair enough.
- Kirishima and Tetsutetsu (Tetsutetsu) are given near-identical stats, but Kirishima is given an edge in two stats (C- vs D for speed, S vs A for chivalrous spirit).
- The tagline for Midnight is "A super sadist who loves to psychologically torment the weak." Which, uh, isn't what I've gotten from the series, but that's straight from the creator's mouth I guess.

Silly, but kind of fun. I just ordered the first volume of Vigilantes as well as Team-Up Missions; I'm curious if they're any good. Might also take a look into Smash.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I still sometimes wonder what could have been if Deku had been basically Batman as originally envisioned; where he stayed Quirkless but instead used gadgets and Quirk-knowledge to subdue villains.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

surf rock posted:

At the store, I saw a little manga called My Hero Academia: Ultra Analysis that's apparently the second character book for the series. Pretty dull, but some fun tidbits:

- Each character is given a letter-grade for various attributes. Todoroki is the only classmate to get an S for power (Deku gets an A+ and Bakugo gets an A).
- Todoroki is labeled an airhead, which is fair enough.
- Kirishima and Tetsutetsu (Tetsutetsu) are given near-identical stats, but Kirishima is given an edge in two stats (C- vs D for speed, S vs A for chivalrous spirit).
- The tagline for Midnight is "A super sadist who loves to psychologically torment the weak." Which, uh, isn't what I've gotten from the series, but that's straight from the creator's mouth I guess.

Silly, but kind of fun. I just ordered the first volume of Vigilantes as well as Team-Up Missions; I'm curious if they're any good. Might also take a look into Smash.

I believe I've read bits from that online. I didn't know it was officially translated, I might have to look into getting it myself.

I remember I looked at it for Overhaul and I think a cool detail about it was every character had a unique stat. Overhaul's was Ambition which was S+. It was that exact trait which helped make him one of my favorite MHA villains.

Some of the original translations I saw of his entry seemed to indicate his quirk was stil usable somehow but I guess those were faulty transations
This is what it officially says

I know he appears with the mass villain breakout - somebody spoiled me in a YT comment under a video of his great theme song - but dunno what happens there. Hopefully he gets a sendoff worthy of him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 18, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Watching the new film and there's some very nice action scenes, you basically got a whole sequence that's like Hawkeye vs Spider-Man and its fantastic.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never actually did finish S5. I dunno if I mentioned this before but I stopped with the episode where the League attacked the Metahuman folks. I think there was only like one or two eps left but the season left a bad taste in my mouth and I just didn't care about anything that was happening.

But I think the next episode was to do with Twice who is the only member of the League I really like. I've always considered the League the weakest part of the series but I like Twice.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember talking just a few months ago in the Misc Shounen thread about MHA's potential legacy. Some people said it was popular and respected enough that we could see Deku or All Might inspired characters going forward with future anime/manga.

But it seems like there's a lot more vitriol in the fandom than I thought. Granted, Naruto had nothing but nonstop complaints for years and it still got Boruto and is a pretty active franchise. I could swear I even read MHA's sales had peaked in 2021. Contrast with Bleach's which did in fact tank.

Shocking I know, the internet does not always reflect reality, but it's just a surprise for me with how the mood in the fandom has seemingly changed.

Do you think you'll like MHA even after its' finished? Talk and think about it still?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hard to say for me, while I read ahead a bit, I haven't resumed yet to where the current hub-hub I assume is. I'm still enjoying the series in either form, though I feel like the actuality of what the series "is" has differed a bit from what I was expecting/hoping for. To the extent that while "a good action show" it isn't like a great action show without qualifiers. Like compared to bleach/naruto? Sure it's pretty good/great. But I don't see it as going to be super influential going forward because I feel the best thing it brought to the table was that it was very polished and was trying some things differently up but I think MHA still struggles a lot with the usual shonen bugbears like power creep. And well, any series could be improved by "being better". That's not exactly revolutionary.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really don't see anywhere near the level of vitriol from here anywhere else. The majority of stuff I see outside of here is people kinda dropping the series and wandering back to catch up in bursts, and if people are upset it's because they thought the most popular character was actually gonna die. The last several volumes are the best selling in the series in Japan- but I actually don't really see a lot of open commentary to go with it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MHA season one had a lot of great worldbuilding: quirks that have physical drawbacks, training to both master the ability and mitigate it's stressors, creative powers with weird-rear end body horror poo poo, Deku having hard limits that required him to think tactically.

Even stuff like the Overhaul Arc had scenes where the underused characters shine, along with a much-deserved tease at what OFA Unleashed would look like thanks to Eri.

The last film had the bad guy defeated in the fight by "Deku Punches Harder and Punches Again Harderer after being rebuffed". And now we're on the cusp of "Deku, having mastered the art of Punching Hard and not breaking his bones, receives several new powers that he must again master and figure out how to activate" which could be cool but... Ehhhh.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Punching is good

More punching pls

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I realize how spoiled we are to get dubs only a week or two after the initial release as compared to how it used to be, but I still hope for a simuldub again.

Although with this Crunchyroll thing, do I need to get an account there to watch MHA S6?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I realize how spoiled we are to get dubs only a week or two after the initial release as compared to how it used to be, but I still hope for a simuldub again.

Although with this Crunchyroll thing, do I need to get an account there to watch MHA S6?

As of late most new shows (and apparently a few old ones now as well) on Crunchyroll are for premium users only so yes

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I still sometimes wonder what could have been if Deku had been basically Batman as originally envisioned; where he stayed Quirkless but instead used gadgets and Quirk-knowledge to subdue villains.

I would read that series. A number of his story beats wouldn't change either.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My pet theory is that up until the end of Sport Festival arc, the story was already plotted for quirkless, explosives and gadget using Deku and they just removed the gadgets, added One for All, changed things a bit to make it fit with OfA, and called it a day.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 24, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blowing up my arm with dynamite in front of my classmates.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Lol at least this Deku has an excuse for why his limbs keep exploding. If quirkless Deku just does it with his own gadgets that’s just ridiculous

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The limbs exploding would fall under the "changed things a bit to make it fit AfO" category, obviously. Ultimately the reason for that even happening was so you could have the tension of "Deku has only 2/4/10/12/etc uses of AfO left!". It would make sense if it originally was "Deku only has 2/4/10/12/etc charges in his power gauntlet/pieces of explosives left!".

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Lt. Lizard posted:

The limbs exploding would fall under the "changed things a bit to make it fit AfO" category, obviously. Ultimately the reason for that even happening was so you could have the tension of "Deku has only 2/4/10/12/etc uses of AfO left!". It would make sense if it originally was "Deku only has 2/4/10/12/etc charges in his power gauntlet/pieces of explosives left!".

That'd actually be a pretty cool gimmick. And technically was already done by Yu Yu Hakusho.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also appaerently people on Reddit are saying it's confirmed S6 will not start with a recap like the last seasons have.

So brand new content right from the start.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

christmas boots posted:

Lol at least this Deku has an excuse for why his limbs keep exploding. If quirkless Deku just does it with his own gadgets that’s just ridiculous

I imagine the development of Gadgeteer Artificer Deku basically morphed into both of the inventor girls that have showed up (the Support one in the main series and the quirkless genius girl from one of the movies), and maybe a bit of what ended up being Bakugo. If presumably Deku had explosives then he presumably had a "safe" setting but during this alternate sports festival turned it off? Like when Bakugo at one point is like "Yeah I normally only use my Quirk only as much as its safe for me, but this is my quirk when I don't *boom*"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Would anyone be willing to make a new thread for s6?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Maybe just use guns instead of puttin bombs on your fists

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'll have it up by the end of the day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

I'll have it up by the end of the day.

Well I've heard that before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013691

Here we go!