Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean Rogue One already ruined Leia’s attempt to lie to Vader when he comes aboard the Tantive IV at the start of A New Hope because he loving saw the drat thing haul rear end away from Scarif with the Death Star plans with his own robot eyes. So gently caress it, go hog wild with it.

Anything that pisses Star Wars fans off is a blast to watch.

I actually love what this does for Leia's character in ANH. She's been captured and is standing before the scariest motherfucker in the galaxy, and she has the brass to lie to his face and not even bother to make it believable. That's the image she's projecting to Vader: I'm not scared enough of you to give you what you want, but I don't respect you enough to lie in a believable way even though we both know you watched me do the thing you're accusing me of.

It's amazing, and it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how come Vader can’t tell that Leia is his daughter

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

indigi posted:

Because she wasn't then.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I actually love what this does for Leia's character in ANH. She's been captured and is standing before the scariest motherfucker in the galaxy, and she has the brass to lie to his face and not even bother to make it believable. That's the image she's projecting to Vader: I'm not scared enough of you to give you what you want, but I don't respect you enough to lie in a believable way even though we both know you watched me do the thing you're accusing me of.

That’s a much better way to look at it, yeah.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

indigi posted:

Because neither of them knew it at the time, it is only after he is looking at the entry for his son who was raised by his step-brother (and jesus loving christ, obi-wan what the gently caress) in the Imperial Census does he realize it. Then he learns that he has a daughter by reading Luke's thoughts.

Or, more succinctly:

CainFortea posted:

Because she wasn't then.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Her snark at Vader and Tarkin throughout a New Hope was already this level of awesome.

In a movie where so much of the dialogue drags, her lines hold up.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"gently caress da police" - Princess Leia Organa

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

karmicknight posted:

his son who was raised by his step-brother (and jesus loving christ, obi-wan what the gently caress)

yeah even as a child I didn’t understand how this was supposed to worn out

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zesty posted:

Her snark at Vader and Tarkin throughout a New Hope was already this level of awesome.

In a movie where so much of the dialogue drags, her lines hold up.

Something I noticed with regard to Leila in ANH, because they’re airing all the movies aside from Rise of Skywalker here in Canada as an Easter long weekend marathon, is that at the start of the movie C-3PO goes “there’ll be no escape for the princess this time.” Implying that he knows who Leia is. Then when the recording pops up for the first time of Leia, when Luke asks who she is Threepio’s like “Dude, I don’t know.”

Make up your mind, you stuffy bucket of bolts!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Maybe he doesn’t know what she looks like

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

indigi posted:

Maybe he doesn’t know what she looks like

I mean, he's been working directly for Bail for like 20 years at that point. That's a long time to go without figuring out what his daughter looks and sounds like :v:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

When Luke asks “you know of the rebellion against the empire?” Threepio admits that he’s on the lowest of low rings and knows nothing. So obviously hasn’t met Leia.

Or probably Bail just memory wipe hims again for laughs any time he does meet her.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Or 3PO could be lying because he has no idea who Luke is, other than some moisture farmer from the rear end-end of the universe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

Or 3PO could be lying because he has no idea who Luke is, other than some moisture farmer from the rear end-end of the universe.

I don't think C-3PO is even capable of lying. Like, at all.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I feel like if C3P0 was lying about any part of his knowledge about Leia he'd also go with R2 when he runs off to find Obi-Wan. It's just an inconsistency and that's okay it's still a good movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
If 3PO is anything like Anthony Daniels, then he's a selfish and insufferable prick who definitely doesn't give a poo poo about rescuing Leia even if he knew her.

#TeamKennyBaker4Ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

reignofevil posted:

It's just an inconsistency and that's okay it's still a good movie.

Pretty much. In the draft before the one that was filmed, R2 plays the entire message from Leia, and Luke immediately goes to find Obi-Wan (who he already knows was his father's Jedi commander). He doesn't even bother to ask about Leia at all, so when Lucas made the decision to have Luke be unaware of Jedi stuff, he needed a reason for Luke to go out into the desert. The primary one, of course, was that he needed to retrieve the droid, but by making it clear that of the two robots only R2 knows about Leia, it also gives Luke an emotional reason (horny) to go on his adventure.