Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It’s only 1812kWh per transaction according to this: https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption/

Currency of the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Jose Valasquez posted:

It’s only 1812kWh per transaction according to this: https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption/

Currency of the future!

Buddy of mine yesterday was like "well, people on the left are always saying Bitcoin's got some energy concerns, but what they don't realize is it's pushing us TOWARDS renewable energy"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Currency of the future!

In fairness, that (horrifying) per-transaction figure is the result of a division problem: the entire bitcoin network is wasting however many MWh every day, regardless of how many transactions it actually processes. A person sitting down and doing a transaction doesn't directly cause a miner to spool up and burn through another 1800 KWh -- that miner was already on and doing its busywork at full power anyway.

Of course, using cryptocurrency does contribute to further popularizing the whole thing, of course, so there's still plenty of indirect blame to assign.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

TraderStav posted:

Can you cite a source or show the work on this? God I'd love to have this in my back pocket.

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption/

Single Bitcoin Transaction Footprints

1812.22 kWh

My Kia EV gets 3.4 miles per. KWh so that’s 6,162 miles

LA to Portland, ME is 3,094 miles according to Google Maps.

Q.E.D.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

VideoGameVet posted:

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption/

Single Bitcoin Transaction Footprints

1812.22 kWh

My Kia EV gets 3.4 miles per. KWh so that’s 6,162 miles

LA to Portland, ME is 3,094 miles according to Google Maps.

Q.E.D.

Thank you, insane.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

In fairness, that (horrifying) per-transaction figure is the result of a division problem: the entire bitcoin network is wasting however many MWh every day, regardless of how many transactions it actually processes. A person sitting down and doing a transaction doesn't directly cause a miner to spool up and burn through another 1800 KWh -- that miner was already on and doing its busywork at full power anyway.

That's not much of a defense, because the network is already running at a substantial fraction of its transaction capacity, though. You can't say "well gee the network overhead looks bad on a per-transaction basis but the overhead would stay the same if it processed 10 or 100 or 1000 times as many transactions" because the network is designed such that it can't even handle twice as many transactions let alone 10 or 100 or 1000 times, regardless of overhead.

(A scaleable solution to the transaction capacity limits is also coming any day now for the past 7 years, just like an alternative solution to the energy consumption problem.)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

the holy poopacy posted:

That's not much of a defense, because the network is already running at a substantial fraction of its transaction capacity, though. You can't say "well gee the network overhead looks bad on a per-transaction basis but the overhead would stay the same if it processed 10 or 100 or 1000 times as many transactions" because the network is designed such that it can't even handle twice as many transactions let alone 10 or 100 or 1000 times, regardless of overhead.

(A scaleable solution to the transaction capacity limits is also coming any day now for the past 7 years, just like an alternative solution to the energy consumption problem.)

The BTC energy consumption isn't network traffic. It's the miners verifying transactions by the act of mining which is guessing a NEW set of numbers that generate a series of zero when run thru SHA256.

Proof Of Work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Good
Apr 5, 2021
if you’re “into” conceptual art, NFTs are for you