Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Webby winners are coming out and so far VIP won one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Very nice of Sam and Elaine to take a selfie with a fan.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what I wouldn't give for an entire taskmaster season done as a game changer spinoff

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's odd that in the US, Taskmaster and Game Changer are kind of on the same level, in that both are basically available on YouTube or Vimeo-based subscription platforms only.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gaz-L posted:

It's odd that in the US, Taskmaster and Game Changer are kind of on the same level, in that both are basically available on YouTube or Vimeo-based subscription platforms only.

eh, it's mostly that for whatever reason nobody's made an effort to just air uk panel shows and the like unchanged in the US (probably because US TV tends to have very different energy and baggage around what a game show/reality show should be like).

the attempt at making a US taskmaster just had weird energy and I'd love to see them try it again in general, but I think you could get a couple seasons of dropout taskmaster easily

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Lager posted:

I did find the fixitman78 channel but sadly the discord, patron, etc. links don't work. I was hoping for some old school ARG insanity!

here's the video

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Bobulus posted:

I was also thinking there had to be a trick to the clown. Like, his shoes were just as black and glossy as the balloons, maybe you can to pop his shoe and the prize would be in that?

One random element isn't the end of the world, though.

The camera definitely seemed to be focusing on something hidden under his costume, possibly on his back

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

flatluigi posted:

eh, it's mostly that for whatever reason nobody's made an effort to just air uk panel shows and the like unchanged in the US (probably because US TV tends to have very different energy and baggage around what a game show/reality show should be like).

the attempt at making a US taskmaster just had weird energy and I'd love to see them try it again in general, but I think you could get a couple seasons of dropout taskmaster easily

US Taskmaster bombed because half the contestants weren't even comedians and Lisa Lampanelli was still somehow the worst contestant

I believe UPN tried airing season 8 of UK Taskmaster and didn't even finish it due to low ratings? IDK, it's weird that something can be a huge viral hit on the internet and then flop on cable

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a recurring thing where the US will try to adapt a British (or Australian or something else) show that's entertaining because most of the contestants are stand-up comedians plying their skills to the camera, and then skip the comedians and just have a bunch of generic famous people on and it's painfully unwatchable and then it fails.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Huh. The channel's existed for 5 years, must've used a staff or cast member's old account.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

inthesto posted:

US Taskmaster bombed because half the contestants weren't even comedians and Lisa Lampanelli was still somehow the worst contestant

I believe UPN tried airing season 8 of UK Taskmaster and didn't even finish it due to low ratings? IDK, it's weird that something can be a huge viral hit on the internet and then flop on cable

UPN is one of those channels that's like, deep in the UHF band so nobody watches it and oh my god that doesn't even matter anymore, nobody is going to get that reference I'm so old.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Didn't UPN stop existing in 2005 when it merged with WB and the merged channel relaunched as the CW?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

flatluigi posted:

While it'd be lovely if Dropout got rights to do their own TM, I'm not holding my breath. It is pretty clear Dropout and LA in general has an overwhelming amount of talent that would be immensely fun to watch on a TM series. Could see them getting blessing to do a in-spirit-of TM show, pretty clear they're kindred spirits.

"Quest Liege"
"Job Assigner"
"Chore Whores"
"Mission Overlord"
"Endeavor Authority"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

lol someone sniped the patreon. bad tradesmanship from dropout.
(https://www.patreon.com/FixItMan78)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah no they're not going to license it, but dropout's already done not-survivor and not-the-bachelor previously for game changer and 'the game changer challenge' or w/e would work out fine

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Wow um actually they weren't kidding about this being the baby episode

Edit relevant for the episode https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/04/24/the-many-loves-of-superman

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 24, 2024

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It's a recurring thing where the US will try to adapt a British (or Australian or something else) show that's entertaining because most of the contestants are stand-up comedians plying their skills to the camera, and then skip the comedians and just have a bunch of generic famous people on and it's painfully unwatchable and then it fails.

Yeah I recall an Australian show about an amoral lawyer being adapted and the end result was... bleh. The adaptation wanted the protagonist (an amoral lawyer and trainwreak of a human being) to be "more likeable", so they were watered down and had the edges sanded off. The end result was somebody who was forgettable and it didn't last past the first season - contrast to the original where the protagonist is clearly an absolute piece of poo poo but is charismatic enough to get away with it.

He's lovable, like an old friend you just can't seem to abandon in spite of their awful behaviour.

Also helped that the Australian lead is a theatre actor who (like many Australian theatre actors) takes screen roles to subtitle their passion - so he'd "ask a mate" to do him a favour and then they've got Hugo Weaving or Cate Blanchette for an episode or two.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Wtf is this false advertising

#NotMyGrant

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rougey posted:

Yeah I recall an Australian show about an amoral lawyer being adapted and the end result was... bleh. The adaptation wanted the protagonist (an amoral lawyer and trainwreak of a human being) to be "more likeable", so they were watered down and had the edges sanded off. The end result was somebody who was forgettable and it didn't last past the first season - contrast to the original where the protagonist is clearly an absolute piece of poo poo but is charismatic enough to get away with it.

He's lovable, like an old friend you just can't seem to abandon in spite of their awful behaviour.

Also helped that the Australian lead is a theatre actor who (like many Australian theatre actors) takes screen roles to subtitle their passion - so he'd "ask a mate" to do him a favour and then they've got Hugo Weaving or Cate Blanchette for an episode or two.

Honestly, this is just the issue with the Hollywood system for adapting anything. Sometimes the creative team are able to roll with the punches and morph the thing into something unique within that framework, but look at, say, The Office and compare Michael Scott to David Brent. Or almost any Stephen King adaptation (a lot of King's protagonists are pieces of poo poo with a LOT of flaws and then in the film/TV versions are much more generic Nice Guys)

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wow um actually they weren't kidding about this being the baby episode

Edit relevant for the episode https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/04/24/the-many-loves-of-superman

Totally agreed, but I think it goes to show that it's a little more fun when the contestants are having a bit more fun because actually know stuff.

They definitely shouldn't keep it this easy, but they should maybe dial back the difficulty a bit.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also, if I were Fake Grant O'Brian, by the end of that Game changer, I probably would of foregone the plate and just walked out with all the spaghetti just in my hand.

Come out swinging a fist of spaghet.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Have You Seen My Pa? is such a good Breaking News episode, just unhinged but cromulent character stories.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I enjoyed Um Actually more this week than usual since i could answer most of the questions.

Also, this episode reminded me of this old skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxJJ2LBI604

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Senerio posted:

Wtf is this false advertising

#NotMyGrant

I absolutely have some Grant/Keith face blindness. Is this Keith? Is that the joke?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Neito posted:

I absolutely have some Grant/Keith face blindness. Is this Keith? Is that the joke?

The joke is that on the game changer the night before, Zac played Grant

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The only thing I enjoy more than Grant O'Brien is fake Grant O'Briens.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Makes me want to carb out for a marathon

A movie marathon of Turner Classic movies!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've seen people say Zac wasn't doing an impression of Grant, but that's only true in so far as he's not really doing a voice, he's absolutely doing Grant's mannerisms (over and above the obvious roast of Grant being infamously messy with food)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Soooooo....I set my phone alarm to be the wenis. I have set my alarm for 2am. Let's see if my wife can get divorce papers at 2:10am after she dances the Wenis.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

New (obvious) thread title from Fantasy High this week.

Dropout.tv: Honor the cock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

bunnyofdoom posted:

Soooooo....I set my phone alarm to be the wenis. I have set my alarm for 2am. Let's see if my wife can get divorce papers at 2:10am after she dances the Wenis.
Watch out, she might accidentally kick your phone in the middle of the alarm.