Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1272160/The_Life_and_Suffering_of_Sir_Brante/

quote:

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante is a narrative-driven RPG that comes to life on the pages of the protagonist's journal. Set in a ruthless world where any form of dissent is mercilessly crushed, the story follows a man who has dared to challenge the existing order. Set out on a lifelong journey and become an individual able to carve out their own destiny... But remember that freedom never comes cheap.

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante is a visual novel choose-your-own-adventure that has you live the life of the titular character from birth to death. The world is a medieval setting with fantasy elements and the story plays out during a tumultuous time for an aging empire.

You will follow your character throughout their life as events unfold that you can have a profound impact on. The fate of your family, friends and empire can all be influenced by the choices you make.

There's not much more I can say about the game as I am still playing through my first run but it's compelling enough that I felt the need to start a thread before finishing it. I will definitely be playing through it again immediately once I am done and haven't felt this engrossed in a game since Disco Elysium.

Levin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Shameless bump for my thread. I have now completed the game a number of times and can more confidently recommend it. The game is well written and they did a great job designing it to be accessible while providing growing depth as you go along. The game is broken up into a number of distinct sections/chapters: childhood, adolescence, youth and adulthood. Each subsequent section builds off what comes before and has greater complexity.

The game allows you to restart from any chapter you have completed if you don't want to start again from birth but are curious to see where another path would take you. The standard game mode will allow you to see the consequences of actions before committing to them which you might think would spoil things but in practice does not. There are modes which allow you to make decisions and take actions blindly and to lock you into whatever decisions you have made previously. I did my first few playthroughs under these settings an am glad I did but others might find it too taxing, I did not survive to the end of the game in any of these playthroughs but was still very satisfied with the experience.

There are three distinct paths you can choose from as you reach adulthood but even within those there is a great deal of variety as to how you can play your character and the outcomes you can achieve. Another interesting thing to note is that NPCs can be seen in a different light or reveal different things about themselves or the world depending on the path you take and choices you make.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Any notable gameplay elements or is it just like an elevated Choice Of Game?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Pladdicus posted:

Any notable gameplay elements or is it just like an elevated Choice Of Game?

Good question, I'm not the best at explaining such things so apologies if this doesn't make sense. The gameplay as it were is the interaction through choices made but there is a bit more depth to it in the sense that there are a number of options for any given scenario some of which have requirements that must be met to access such as a certain level of stat(s), relationships with NPCs or their current circumstances and previous choices made. There are a number of different scales and stats relating to different elements of the world depending on what chapter you are on, in adulthood there are:
- Personality stats - manipulation, scheming, valour, diplomacy, theology and eloquence
- Willpower - pool of points that can be expended to complete certain actions, this will be replenished or diminished based on choices you make, it's possible to have a deficit of points closing off certain options
- Household scales - level of wealth and reputation
- Relationship scales - how much a character likes/dislikes you but also unique statuses such as friendship, romance, gratitude/indebtedness
- Empire scales - wealth of province, power, order vs unrest, position of church (new faith vs old)

There are also achievable goals/objectives outlined for each chapter which may vary depending on the path you take such as getting your noble house hereditary status, bringing an adversary to justice, winning a competition, aiding a family member, crushing a rebellion, supporting the adoption of a new state religion, etc.

Levin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 18, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
kinda neat so far. seems like its gonna try to be clever but i cant figure out if its gonna be a good or bad type of clever yet. also... bizarrely difficult for a narrative game, if i'm being honest. like usually with this kind of game you can either min-max from the start and do most of it, or at least get a reasonable result in your first go but this game honestly feels like age of decadence, text edition in how it splits off and restricts a lot of the narrative or options from a lot of character builds

edit: at the start of each chapter you get a bunch of objectives like "do this thing" and then it tells you, explicitly, what the requirements are. and then 90% of those requirements are themselves spelled out! and you think oh ok this seems a little bit spoilery and easy and then its not

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Verviticus posted:

kinda neat so far. seems like its gonna try to be clever but i cant figure out if its gonna be a good or bad type of clever yet. also... bizarrely difficult for a narrative game, if i'm being honest. like usually with this kind of game you can either min-max from the start and do most of it, or at least get a reasonable result in your first go but this game honestly feels like age of decadence, text edition in how it splits off and restricts a lot of the narrative or options from a lot of character builds

edit: at the start of each chapter you get a bunch of objectives like "do this thing" and then it tells you, explicitly, what the requirements are. and then 90% of those requirements are themselves spelled out! and you think oh ok this seems a little bit spoilery and easy and then its not

Glad you're enjoying it, will be interested in your thoughts once you have played some more. You're right that it is difficult and is designed in a way that makes decisions impactful. I noticed that too, even if you choose to run the game on its normal settings which tell you what the immediate result of each decision will be it still is challenging and doesn't really spoil anything! I also liked how they gradually develop your character throughout their life giving you an opportunity to learn the mechanics before you're committed to a specific path.