Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

you could tokenize 'lol' and 'turn your monitor on' and probably knock yospos' db size by 73%

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The Management posted:

five hundred million posts if the IDs are to be believed. let’s say 1kb each on average, 1 TB of data total. that’s like a db for babies

yeah but a billion posts/edits an hour

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

i say we move to nosql

agreed

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if you wanna ‘get’ nosql this vid owns hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaEPXoXVf2k

basically, nosql databases can be amazing if you know your access patterns before you code, and you won’t need to change them arbitrarily. sql is effectively designed around data normalisation whereas good nosql is designed around application access patterns

if you wanna see how most people treat nosql, this vid might be more useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Gentle Autist posted:

if you wanna ‘get’ nosql this vid owns hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaEPXoXVf2k

basically, nosql databases can be amazing if you know your access patterns before you code, and you won’t need to change them arbitrarily. sql is effectively designed around data normalisation whereas good nosql is designed around application access patterns

if you wanna see how most people treat nosql, this vid might be more useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

some interesting stuff here. but this guy also conveniently forgets to mention the most common reason nosql is a bad choice for systems which is "because their dataset fits in RAM"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the forums are being shut down in less than 2 hours, who wants to bet they won't be up on schedule tomorrow

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

and the band posted on

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
rip all of my great posts

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

we could all be posting our last posts right now, and won't find out until tomorrow :eek:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SO DEMANDING posted:

we could all be posting our last posts right now, and won't find out until tomorrow :eek:

ohh the posts will come up
to-morrow
bet your :10bux: that
to-morrow
there’ll be pooosssts

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

nice knowing all of you

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

astral posted:

as we migrate all of radium's little cron scripts over, but thankfully Jeffrey already has a good handle on where these live.

yeah right. u know that AI that designed PCBs with random components that weren't connected to anything, but if they were removed the whole thing would stop working?

imagine that but instead of an AI its radium and instead of components it's scripts

what i'm saying is there's gonna be, like, a script that only does "ls" on the home directory, running every hour for no apparent reason. removing this makes the servers explode.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
load bearing scripts

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

the forums are being shut down in less than 2 hours, who wants to bet they won't be up on schedule tomorrow

the forums are still up, this must be an oversight from the admin team

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we are all dead and in posting Valhalla

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

is this TITAN

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

we are all dead and in posting Valhalla

i see radium sitting in the corner drinking a daiquiri

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

did they cancel this downtime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ansible Adams posted:

did they cancel this downtime?

nah, there was a lengthy outage, i think we've just actually made it through.