Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

xeria posted:

Yeah, pretty sure I remember the author saying they have like 7 books total planned for that series. Getting into any multi-book IF is a rough business when it can be several years between releases (increasing in dev time as they progress due to coding complexities as more variables are added to the mix) and functionally like one person writing/coding the entire thing so reasonably high risk of the series being left incomplete. 5 years between books in the Fallen Hero series is a punch to the stomach, especially with how Retribution ends.

I snooped around the socials of the author of the Fallen Hero and they say that when they were writing Retriburion, they did it while working a full time job and being sick, which is why it took 5 years, and they expect the next book to be done much faster now that they're writing full time, allegedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

That's fair, though if you're making anything with any chance at all of rating well in a comp, a downer ending would be basically suicide. There's a comp formula and anything other than a happy ending ain't in it.
What else is in the formula? Asking for a friend.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

What else is in the formula? Asking for a friend.

Note that the post you're responding to is from over a year ago.

Personally, I don't object to downers endings in IF in general, but I (and probably many other people) do have an issue with works like Infocom's Infidel, where the outcome in the "winning" ending is the same as in the "losing" endings.

(Magnetic Scrolls' Wonderland also has this problem, by the way, although it's baked into the source material to an extent; Wonderland is too surreal to not be a dream, and the dream leading to actual character development for Alice would go against the consciously un-didactic spirit of the book. If I had been writing the game, I would have dodged the issue by ending with a sequel hook: Alice wakes up with a chess piece in her hand and wonders how that got there.)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm glad there's an IF thread that's kinda active?

I used to play CoG/HG and the last games I played and liked were Creme De La Creme and Royal Affairs games. I feel like it brought me back to my YA! days and it was neat :v:

Also, I intially came back to play Elite Status by Emily Short and I admit I am still trying to get different routes for it after bouncing hard off Mask of the Rose which is like a VN but really stressful due to game mechanics.

I did get the Heart's Choice app but mostly I feel like it's still p small selection of games so I'm waiting for more books to be out.

I'm now looking for CoG/HG recommendations too for light-hearted unique settings or fantasy. Thanks.

FWIW: I tried Wayhaven and I just really want to avoid vampire/super hero/werewolf/crime stories right now.

Games I played:

I liked:
- Choice of Robots/Dragon/Broadsides/Court/Steampunk
- Eagle's Heir
-Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale
- Tally Ho
- Slammed
-Cannonfire Concerto
-A Midsummer Night’s Choice
-Belle-de-Nuit
-Heart of the House

I thought were just OK:
-Choice of Vampires
-Choice of Magic/Alexandria
-Tin Star
-Elite Status
-The Magician’s Workshop
-Creatures Such as We
-Freshman Magic: Spellbooks and Tangled Sheets

Disliked:
-Deathless series
-Hero Project series you know the one
-An Odyssey: Echoes of War
-Scandal Notes
-Noblesse Oblige
-Weyrwood

Alder fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 20, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
CEJ Pacian released a new game: https://pacian.itch.io/killing-machine-loves-slime-prince

It's not bad. I can't be arsed to get all twenty memories for the proper ending, tbh. If someone does, please copy/paste it here. (Protip: save roughly when you can DANCE to the place with a lot of fake Princes, so you can backtrack from that point to get everything.)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Recently re-played Tally Ho and I forgot how great a CoG book it was back in 2017 all the different LI have so many unique dialogues and reactions to the MC. I'm pretty surprised to see all the various scenes I missed even though I did 4 playthroughs and I kinda wish Cakes and Ale wasn't a trilogy since it feels like it'll take forever to be completed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alder posted:

I kinda wish Cakes and Ale wasn't a trilogy since it feels like it'll take forever to be completed.

Yeah, even the first one clearly got away from him since it ended up being over a million words, so having two follow that up with two sequels is insanely daunting. I'm pretty sure he has a day job too, so he's not like some of the more popular Hosted Games authors getting all their income from sales and their Patreons. In general I think the trilogy structure is usually bad for these games since it either leads to massive narrowing of possibilities (CoG most obviously has this issue with some games that weren't originally intended to have sequels) or completely excessive bloat to try to account for player decisions. Anyway, I don't mean any of this as a knock on the author, since I think he's easily one of their best writers and clearly putting in the effort to do right by his readers, I just wish he'd taken on a less ambitious task.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Yeah, even the first one clearly got away from him since it ended up being over a million words, so having two follow that up with two sequels is insanely daunting. I'm pretty sure he has a day job too, so he's not like some of the more popular Hosted Games authors getting all their income from sales and their Patreons. In general I think the trilogy structure is usually bad for these games since it either leads to massive narrowing of possibilities (CoG most obviously has this issue with some games that weren't originally intended to have sequels) or completely excessive bloat to try to account for player decisions. Anyway, I don't mean any of this as a knock on the author, since I think he's easily one of their best writers and clearly putting in the effort to do right by his readers, I just wish he'd taken on a less ambitious task.

:yeah:

I really like the writer's other 2 books and I admit it dragged down my overall experience with C&A since none of the plot threads I cared about were resolved enough at the end. Also, I feel like there's a lot of feature creep each time I start over it's just so many events going on at once already in Tally Ho with minor characters who I ignored.

I understand yeah all the unique endings were great but it would be a lot of work to keep it all organized in a neat way. I kinda wish we just had a brand new MC for each game that is set in the same world with minor cameos of Rory and others. Also, I can't believe it's been 3 years since I waited for an update for Tea and Scones which is at CH6 .

Also, I am replaying old books and I forgot how much I liked A Study in Steampunk based on Sherlock Holmes stories and now I just want another book with the same theme. Please someone write a story where Sherlock respects women and isn't a WIP.

Elite: Status ...I ended up playing 3x and got like 2 bad endings and 1 so-so ending. I feel pretty lost with this game despite liking the other author's works in the past. I just keep making the wrong choices and the actual setting in the 2014 USA got too real :shobon:

I am still reading the code in my free time but yeah moments I feel like MC's path feels hopeless.

Alder fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 7, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://ifcomp.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1X9GrkCcs

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2222930/Project_RyME/

This might interest folks? A friend of a friend has a demo up for the Next Fest of their game, Project RyME. This has you play a women digging through an old desktop PC to investigate her father's possibly falsified death, and having to learn the desktops weird proprietary OS and do computer hacking to uncover the horrifying mystery.

Also, you reconnect with some of your Dad's old internet buddies as they discuss anime.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

This might interest folks? A friend of a friend has a demo up for the Next Fest of their game, Project RyME. This has you play a women digging through an old desktop PC to investigate her father's possibly falsified death, and having to learn the desktops weird proprietary OS and do computer hacking to uncover the horrifying mystery.

Also, you reconnect with some of your Dad's old internet buddies as they discuss anime.

Uh yeah, that went straight to the ol' wishlist

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That looks neat. Maybe the hypnospace outlaw thread wouldn't mind seeing as well

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Schwarzwald posted:

And on the wishlist that goes!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've been playing through Next Fest demos for the past few days, so I'll give it a look!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jack Trades posted:

I snooped around the socials of the author of the Fallen Hero and they say that when they were writing Retriburion, they did it while working a full time job and being sick, which is why it took 5 years, and they expect the next book to be done much faster now that they're writing full time, allegedly.

Speaking from experience: lol, lmao.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Honestly, I'm just glad authors post on the forums on their book updates...I have no expectations until I see the final release date announced for CoG/HG so I avoid WIP for this reason :shobon:

There's def been like completed KS otome VN that've p much died in the last decade despite getting a lot of funding and zero news from them ever again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Fuschia tude posted:

Speaking from experience: lol, lmao.

Yeah.
Fallen Hero is loving incredible and I want the third one to be done as soon as possible but I'm not holding my breath for it coming out earlier than another 5 years from now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Schwarzwald posted:

Hell yeah, thanks for the heads up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

That was pretty cool. Looking forward to the full game.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Just having fun on reddit when ppl describe their ideal RO for books...

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I was chugging along on Hadean Lands this weekend, but I think I might be too dumb for this game. It is annoying having so many rituals that require orichalcum, but only one rod. It seems like its possible to get into a dead man walking state too?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's a time loop and you're supposed to have some mutually exclusive options. Get into a place, learn what you need, spend the conflicting resource elsewhere on your next run.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Lichtenstein posted:

It's a time loop and you're supposed to have some mutually exclusive options. Get into a place, learn what you need, spend the conflicting resource elsewhere on your next run.

Oh. That never occurred to me. I've always restored my game when I died because I didn't want to have to collect all my poo poo again.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

moosferatu posted:

Oh. That never occurred to me. I've always restored my game when I died because I didn't want to have to collect all my poo poo again.

Yeah, that'll be gracefully streamlined or automated for you. Embrace the loop.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Hi! I've spent the last two days trying to remember the name of a game that I was pretty sure was by Porpentine but maybe it's not because I've been completely unable to find it.

It was about some kind of mercenary/assassin for hire in a kind of vague Cyberpunk world. You would get missions by mail, then equip surreal sci-fi weapons and leave your apartment to kill people.

All missions would end with the increasing presence of a black liquid that would drown you, and you would wake up in your apartment next day and repeat the process.

Anybody know what game I'm talking about? Would appreciate very much any help, it's driving me crazy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

moosferatu posted:

The game will automatically re-solve any puzzles you've already done and redo any rituals for you, using the same components as the most recent time you've performed them. It's one of the best parts of the game - it lets you experiment and try stuff out without making your own save-file management system.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

elpaganoescapa posted:

Hi! I've spent the last two days trying to remember the name of a game that I was pretty sure was by Porpentine but maybe it's not because I've been completely unable to find it.

It was about some kind of mercenary/assassin for hire in a kind of vague Cyberpunk world. You would get missions by mail, then equip surreal sci-fi weapons and leave your apartment to kill people.

All missions would end with the increasing presence of a black liquid that would drown you, and you would wake up in your apartment next day and repeat the process.

Anybody know what game I'm talking about? Would appreciate very much any help, it's driving me crazy

dunno; look through these:

https://ifdb.org/search?searchfor=authorid:nmzzzfyfjujdpttw

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014

Thanks a lot! Will do

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

elpaganoescapa posted:

howling dogs by porpentine?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

elpaganoescapa posted:

Porpentine's All I Want Is For All Of My Friends To Become Insanely Powerful

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Another fun one: Eat Me by Chandler Groover

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNKTnOzv07A

https://artsandculture.google.com/experiment/WAG_QoNY4_4vOQ

New Inkle game!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald posted:

Update on this: the full release for Project RyME has been announced for March 20th!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's out and available here!

edit: and also on itch: https://qwarq.itch.io/project-ryme

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Thanks for the heads up. It's weird, it was on my wishlist, but I don't recall getting an email about the release. Bought it this morning, but haven't had time to play more than a few minutes