Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
number go up and make brain give dopamine and seratonin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
08 - 08 - Mama Bear

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I love the expressiveness of the droopy defeated fins in panel 2

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
e: Erp it's not Wednesday.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 29, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
END - Ooof

So long to Steppe In The Ring

-Rocks fall, everyone dies-

First, a really big issue that I’m running into is that I don’t actually know how to write with proper punctuation and grammar, so unless I have someone looking over my shoulder, I have to use ProWritingAid, which doesn’t work on Comic Scripts very well.

So, as with every series that I drop, end, or otherwise cease to work on, I think I’m going to do one of these write-ups. The biggest problem with Steppe Into The Ring happened when I strayed from my initial vision. Steppe Into The Ring originally was an anthology of weird stories in a weird world. It was supposed to be a more serious version of like Oglaf, or Swords, or Val and Isaac. Instead, what it ended up being was a comic that started 3 or 4 different times and died as I tried to find a way to create a conflict with stakes in a story that was permanently a flash back. Someone had mentioned how this was an issue, and I had largely blown them off, and they ended up being right in the end. I also insisted that I would never do “It’s all a dream,” “They were insane the whole time,” but realized a bit too late that “They’re lying to you the whole time!” Is just as bad. I had thought because there were nuggets of truth that it would work, instead it just felt like I didn’t really understand what the main issue was with what I was trying to do. The story had a constantly shifting paradigm that made it extremely unclear what was happening. People were constantly confused. The world was a kind of a failure, and I wrote a romance in a very kind of… Surface level way. I also did a lot of pandering that I think hurt the comic. I don’t think I actually understand why Homestuck worked for me, and I think part of it was a fervor I felt as a teen that was spurred on by a community, rather than the writing itself.

When I dropped the anonymous feedback link I was surprised both by how many really liked it, and how many had come forward with some really good critiques. I had done it with the expectation that a bunch of people would tell me to stop posting. Instead, people were super nice, both in giving constructive criticism, and in just general praise. I also agree with almost everything that was said, including the idea of the comic being aggressively twee, and obvious CSPAM posting. I think Steppe was a bit cringe in retrospect, and that sentiment was echoed by a few people.

The biggest problem is the same problem I had with Marie and The Adventurer’s League, but worse. I had created invincible characters with no real conflict. In Marie, Marie is supposed to be a big, cruel street smart addict, but kind of lovely at everything else. Instead, I let her heal with water, and she became an unstoppable behemoth that everyone feared. There were no real threats. Even so, at least Marie you had the idea that maybe she could die. In Steppe Into The Ring, about 20 pages in, I decided to create a framed narrative with an unreliable narrator, convinced myself that was the plan all along, and then proceeded to fumble into multiple failed stories. The fact that multiple characters had page long monologues that didn’t really establish anything was a serious problem. Casey being literally indestructible, Lydia being immortal, and then both being destined to be at the end of the story strained the suspension of disbelief well past its breaking point. We also use that suspension for narrative frameworks we don’t realize. Everyone knows that Luffy will not die until the end of One Piece, but we also suspend that feeling because it creates tension. The dragonballs eviscerate any pathos that come from Character Death in DBZ, but we suspend that disbelief to allow us to immerse ourselves in the story.

Creating invincible characters, pairing them with pre-ordained outcomes, limits you a great deal narratively.

I keep doing stories where people sit around and cry all the time, and I hate it, and then I don’t want to do the story anymore. If I keep making comics, the next one HAS to be FUN and BRIGHT and EXCITING. I’m tired of morose narratives, and I think I can have fun and write something engaging, and in fact, the first is 100% necessary for the second. I also either need romance to be the focus of the story, or completely missing. I also went BACK to the romance well, even though that’s NOT what I want to write! It’s the second comic I’ve done that. I’ve read one romance story, and that started like…. This month! I don’t have the genre knowledge!

— So what’s next? —

I’ve got 2 ideas floating around.

One is a re-telling of a story I already wrote and finished. This is Kitty Quest, and I wrote it pretty much right after Disco Elysium came out. The concept is pretty simple, Sarah is a sorcerer turned into a cat, cursed with shards of her own mind to haunt her, and she adopts a young girl to teach her magic. If you thought Casey being a Trotskyist was CSPAM, the entirety of kitty quest was a 19-year-old’s idea of what politics IS and how people just don’t get TRUE COMMUNISM MAN! All that poo poo would definitely have to get cut lol.

Two is a second crack at Marie. I’ve now written 250 pages of comics, finished two novels, and finished one comic. I think I’m starting to get a hang of it, and trying to do a fun romp through some tried-and-true tropes could be really exciting, and it’s a lot easier to try to roll with some of the stuff I already created.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 14, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I need a fun thread title ya'll

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

[Comic] You will not, under any circumstances, join the Adventurer's League.
[Comic] Get a load of these Adventuring Boots.
[Comic] Fruncle is back. Get in.

I don't think any of these are particularly inspired but it's been a long day.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Going to need a quick break, and I want to see what happens if I try to do a big chapter-y chunk at once letting me work on whatever the mood strikes that day, also Xmas is coming up which I had forgotten about.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 6, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 14, 2023

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Fruncle used gently caress Your poo poo, You Little Shits.

It was super effective!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I love making comics you guys, I really really like starting comics too lol.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 14, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Today's webcomic is releasing two days early, as I may not be around my computer to post. There also may not be an udpate next week

Characters In Today's Episode:
The Lady with Red Hair and Green Skin is Jaina
The Lady with Red Hair and Red Skin is Marie
The Man with Blue Tentacles for Hair, and Blue Skin is Tony

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 14, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Thursday is a fancorner so don't forget to send in any questions comments w/e to fanmail @ boba pearl essence . Com or dm me on discord or hit up the anon ask on Tumblr.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 14, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Making a comic is hard but I'm a lot prouder of what I'm making this week vs last week. I think I rushed it a bit with the move but this one feels better.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 14, 2023

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Hot wheels!

I always love to see your comic!
You've really done some cool work, even as I've needled the hell out of ya on discord about it.

And this is a cool action sequence!
And the comic is nice!
And...
Yay~

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Post poste posted:

I always love to see your comic!
You've really done some cool work, even as I've needled the hell out of ya on discord about it.

And this is a cool action sequence!
And the comic is nice!
And...
Yay~

Everything worked so well! :D I'm really proud of this one.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Video with sound! It might be really loud!

https://bobapearlessence.com/assets/00802.mp4

Video with sound! It might be really loud!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao

Marie? Marie. Marie. The bone rattler. MARIE.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Gods, that melting face.
I love it.
Good fuckin work m'friend.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So happy and excited, it really turned out well, and I think the next one is going to be even better (hopefully)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Since this doesn't really make sense to exist in the game room anymore, I've moved this too BSS, which may be a terrible idea, maybe not IDK! Either way, find it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022240