Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

What is your problem, jack-pipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

if it's on a meme it's 100% fact jack-(pipe????)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That’s a Texas Tot.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

Here’s a little recipe from a professional chef for you, cook up some tater tots in your air fryer and then melt some cheese on them and add some nacho type toppings like jalapeños and salsa. I call these Nac-tots (nachos plus tots, get it?)

Great way to kick up your Taco John's Potato Oles :taco:

Mmm West-Mex

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I can't get my zucchini slices crispy enough in my air fryer. I know the simple answer is a mandolin. But I have been staying up researching other solutions.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

donkey salami posted:

I can't get my zucchini slices crispy enough in my air fryer. I know the simple answer is a mandolin. But I have been staying up researching other solutions.

nothing to crisp up them zuccs like the top 7 layers of your knuckle skin

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Air friers loving suck rear end. My old roomates would cook up chicken nuggets and hash browns to their kids and I swear thats child abuse because it tasted like poo poo and was their version of dinner when it was their turn to cook.

gently caress these things

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

donkey salami posted:

Have you tried a convection oven

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I got some regulation size tots for you right here

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Giraffe posted:

I want a rice cooker but I don’t eat rice that often so it seems like overkill.

I own a rice cooker and haven't used it in a while. It's probably full of ants and silverfish by now.

Ah well, nevertheless

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

King Vidiot posted:

I own a rice cooker and haven't used it in a while. It's probably full of ants and silverfish by now.

Ah well, nevertheless

Them’s good eatin

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I only know one person who talked about their air fryer, and she's my dad's drug addicted, cheating ex-girlfriend who made him try cocaine even though he's 67 and has had a heart attack before.

So based on this I have to assume everyone with an air fryer is a crummy person.

Harsh words coming from a donut.

So I have another question about air fryers. Can you slice up a potato and put that in to make fries? Or do you have to buy frozen fries?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Weka posted:

So I have another question about air fryers. Can you slice up a potato and put that in to make fries? Or do you have to buy frozen fries?

I've done this. They come out more like homefries but the thinner you slice them the crispier they get. Works just fine.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Silverfish are 5 minutes at 350 IIRC, come out nice and crisp. Would probably take 45 minutes in a regular oven and still be soggy.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Katamari Democracy posted:

Air friers loving suck rear end. My old roomates would cook up chicken nuggets and hash browns to their kids and I swear thats child abuse because it tasted like poo poo and was their version of dinner when it was their turn to cook.

gently caress these things

None of this makes sense.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Weka posted:

If you slice em thin and add a spritz of oil they come out ok. Don’t overload the basket and give it a shake a few times during the cooking.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Big Beef City posted:

None of this makes sense.

You cook stuff on this and its bland. Its cooking for cheaters.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I mostly meant the stuff about eating your roommates kids dinner and both complaining about it and it being their turn to cook since I've never had it seen roommates cook for each other before (I mean outside of agreed on things once and a while/special occasions)

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i punch frozen tots and the sheer force cooks them

how many tots is equal to one mcdonalds hasjhbrowns

can an airfrier do a whole raw chicken? my instapot can

e- or i just gnaw on frozen tots. aint got time for that cooking poo poo

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Big Beef City posted:

I mostly meant the stuff about eating your roommates kids dinner and both complaining about it and it being their turn to cook since I've never had it seen roommates cook for each other before (I mean outside of agreed on things once and a while/special occasions)

I dunno why I have to explain this in more detail because you clearly don't know how to read. But read the post again, mainly the last part when I said it was also their version of dinner when it was their turn to cook.

Hope that helps.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lately what I've been doing is roasting up a whole big sheet of potatoes/parsnips/carrots on Sunday and then during the week I throw a bunch in my air fryer in the morning at 400 for 10 minutes which makes them crisp back up perfectly and then I drop a couple eggs over easy on top and mix em all up together and it is a really good and super easy breakfast

well, super easy unless you are forums user Jose Oquendo, then despite you following the directions I just gave exactly you some how end up like this

Nooner fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 6, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I dunno why I have to explain this in more detail because you clearly don't know how to read. But read the post again, mainly the last part when I said it was also their version of dinner when it was their turn to cook.

Hope that helps.

What kinda nuggs are we talking about it sounds like that’s your main problem like there’s nuggets from Costco that are amazing and then there’s like Tyson dinosaur nugget trash on the other end of the spectrum.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hope that helps.

do you mean when it was the kids turn to cook? i can't believe you made the kids cook bad nugs

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

bird with big dick posted:

What kinda nuggs are we talking about it sounds like that’s your main problem like there’s nuggets from Costco that are amazing and then there’s like Tyson dinosaur nugget trash on the other end of the spectrum.

I would like to blame the lovely air fryer.

yikes! posted:

do you mean when it was the kids turn to cook? i can't believe you made the kids cook bad nugs

The kids could have cooked it in an easy bake oven and would have more profound lasting impressions than whatever the gently caress no effort cooking my old roomates did.

E- Also not my kids.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The only way to gently caress up air frying is if you overload it or put really wet stuff in there and expect it to crisp up. Overloading is probably the most common problem.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Can you add hamster pellets to an air fryer to smoke your tater tots?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

an air fryer is handy for when I need to crisp up 3-4 tots to use as a garnish when plating, really adds that final touch to a dish

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Air fryers are notoriously inefficient. That thing probably sucks down a house or two full of air just to make a set of fries. Meanwhile I’ve been frying poo poo in the same oil since I graduated so like seven years. loving air hogs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You’re a goddamn liar

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Do you guys line your air fryers with foil? It seems to kinda makes them work less good but I’d rather not spend the time on cleanup

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Do you guys line your air fryers with foil? It seems to kinda makes them work less good but I’d rather not spend the time on cleanup

Pro tip: get a silicon tray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I get that air fryers are tiny convection ovens with overpowered fans, and that the small size and strong fan lead to fast cooking times.

But how do they compare to a combination microwave / convection oven?
Just set one of those to blast the food with microwaves for fast heating while also blowing hot air around to get the crisp you so deeply desire.