Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yeah trees are kinda like little arcologies with chloroplasts going around doing photosynthesis. I like to think that a chloroplast comes home from doing photosynthesis on the outer leaves to his home in the trunk system and says "boy am I beat" to his chloroplast wife and she pats him on the back in the way only organelles can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think of them as big urinals

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I like this thought. Also neat to think of our bodies that way too. Our microbiome is a little party goin on inside us, just bacterias doin their own poo poo, sippin yogurt and kombucha. And somehow these fellas can influence our moods? Idk a lot about this poo poo but its kickin rad.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Communist Toast posted:

I like this thought. Also neat to think of our bodies that way too. Our microbiome is a little party goin on inside us, just bacterias doin their own poo poo, sippin yogurt and kombucha. And somehow these fellas can influence our moods? Idk a lot about this poo poo but its kickin rad.

Yeah this also but there are a few more players involved. I wonder if there is maybe a white blood cell whos burned out on murdering foreign and invasive cells and dreams of a job as a neuron up in the brain.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I learned about the Gaia Hypothesis in eighth grade and I think it's cool.

It kinda suggests that humanity is cancer though. So maybe not so great if you try to be an optimist about our civilization.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
And I think of broccoli as little trees which, if you think about it, makes me a god.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It kinda suggests that humanity is cancer though. So maybe not so great if you try to be an optimist about our civilization.

thankfully i dont lol

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
That old game Faxanadu made you go all the way up a tree and through the civilizations living it it. They were all a bunch of stupid goblin assholes

Soulkys
Sep 7, 2008

The beast of Tanagra
If a trees roots touch another trees roots do the two trees know that theres another tree out there??

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Toothpicks, golf tees, and future parking lots

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

look at this nerd, learning things in school

i learned about Gaia Hypothesis from the SimEarth manual

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

That's where I learned it too! I took a technology elective that had us doing different modules for a week at a time and one of them was a biotech module that had us playing SimEarth :smug:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Soulkys posted:

If a trees roots touch another trees roots do the two trees know that theres another tree out there??

There was an m night shambalam movie where trees did this and decided they wanted to kill matt damon

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Each one is it's own little biome housing tons of small animals and insects. You're not wrong :)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Aegis Bear posted:

Each one is it's own little biome housing tons of small animals and insects. You're not wrong :)

Redwoods can get salamanders and basically plankton in their upper branches.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like the idea of those tree pods that you get your body sealed into when you die and the tree's roots take up the nutrients made from your decay so you kinda become a tree in a way. I'd like to be a cherry tree personally

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Heath posted:

I like the idea of those tree pods that you get your body sealed into when you die and the tree's roots take up the nutrients made from your decay so you kinda become a tree in a way. I'd like to be a cherry tree personally

I'd like to become a walnut tree so everyone can eat my nuts far after im gone and then one day I'll get turned into a beautiful chest of drawers.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

I'd like to become a walnut tree so everyone can eat my nuts far after im gone and then one day I'll get turned into a beautiful chest of drawers.

Toothpicks and golf tees motherfucker.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Aegis Bear posted:

One day I was walking through the forest a few hours after eating 5 to 6 grams of Psilocybe cubensis and noticed a wound on an oak tree. It was dripping sap and had attracted fuzzy aphids, which excrete sweet honeydew from the sap they drink. There were ants herding the aphids to harvest their honeydew. About half the ants were on harvest duty and the other half were defending against some honey bees that had a hive further up the tree, who had also taken notice of the aphids.

This whole tiny drama featuring hundreds of players was happening out within such a small space, and I realized that these tiny dramas were playing out in thousands of places within my woods. I felt overwhelmingly connected and grateful. I looked down and noticed hen of the woods growing at the base of the oak. I broke off a small piece of the hen of the woods, ate it, and gave the tree a hug

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 1, 2021

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

trees ARE cities. squirrel cities.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
theyre an organism for sure op

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

What a coincidence! I always think of cities as little trees.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Big weird dicks

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They're called stamens

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Heath posted:

They're called stamens

Stamen deez nuts!!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Icochet posted:

Big weird dicks

Everything is kind of a dick what with supersymmetry

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

That Planet Earth episode about grasslands where it gets really down and close in there showing the whole ecology of insects and tiny critters.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Earth is kind of a dumb name for this planet. Terra is cooler. We should lobby to change it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If trees are so great how come they haven't even invented anything lately?

phobo
Aug 7, 2008

Poohs Packin posted:

One day I was walking through the forest a few hours after eating 5 to 6 grams of Psilocybe cubensis and noticed a wound on an oak tree. It was dripping sap and had attracted fuzzy aphids, which excrete sweet honeydew from the sap they drink. There were ants herding the aphids to harvest their honeydew. About half the ants were on harvest duty and the other half were defending against some honey bees that had a hive further up the tree, who had also taken notice of the aphids.

This whole tiny drama featuring hundreds of players was happening out within such a small space, and I realized that these tiny dramas were playing out in thousands of places within my woods. I felt overwhelmingly connected and grateful. I looked down and noticed hen of the woods growing at the base of the oak. I broke off a small piece of the hen of the woods, ate it, and gave the tree a hug

After you hugged the tree were you covered in aphids sap honey and bees?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

No. I was careful.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

If trees are so great how come they haven't even invented anything lately?

When trees cum the lakes turn yellow. In the words of clint easwood "there are two kinds of organisms in the world: the kind whose cum appear in satellite imagery, and the kind that do all the other stuff"

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I see men as trees, walking

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah same. i mostly did it as a kid but i would tend to look at trees as huge cities, trees that are damaged or dead are like, abandoned ruins, towering above the ground. ancient giant tree dwelling aliens. yeah that's the fuckin' ticket. my mind would go weird places just based around the idea of tree = city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Soulkys posted:

If a trees roots touch another trees roots does that mean they're gay?