Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

DamnitGannet posted:

shout out to the character that made smoking really cool to my dumbass friends and i

ngl this scene has flashed in my mind a couple times when lighting one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I've never smoked cigarettes but I smoked hookah for several years, thinking it was somehow healthier than cigarettes lol. After a little bit of research showing it's basically just as bad, I quit.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

bradzilla posted:

I've never smoked cigarettes but I smoked hookah for several years, thinking it was somehow healthier than cigarettes lol. After a little bit of research showing it's basically just as bad, I quit.

I think it's like, orders of magnitude worse actually

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I smoke cigars (outside, ofc. Usually only if I'm grilling or golfing).
I don't smoke cigarettes.

I do dip, Cope Longcut original. Yep, it's gross. I refuse to do it in public, or even in view of/around my wife, clean up after myself, etc. But still do it. I've had people know me for a long rear end time, years, before finding out and saying "Whoa, you use dip?" if I've ever used some on the golf course, even. That's my goal and it's worked for me, such as it is, ok so far.

I used to smoke a lot of weed. A lot. I gave that up cold turkey while living in a house full of other weed smokers who were like "drat dude, nice." and very supportive of my decision, I'd go back to that in a second if I still could. I gave it up for my job at the time, that is no longer a concern, but it's not legal here and I don't have a guy and haven't for ever now, so it's not an issue and not something I actively look for.

e: my old bong lighter is bronze zippo custom engraved with "This Machine Kills Fascists" on it because I'm cool like that.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 7, 2021

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I started smoking when I worked in restaurants as a way to get breaks. You only got a break from the line to go smoke and sometimes to go piss. If you're efficient you can do both so the same time. That was when I was a teenager, and I smoked all the way through working fine dining, university, going back to restaurants after the crash, working in hotels, and then, I quit some years later.

I used Chantix to quit but my doctor didn't tell me it was very similar to Wellbutrin. It made me have a full on psychotic episode and I tried to kill myself several times. I ended up hospitalized for six weeks, but I didn't smoke anymore after that. For five years.

Then I started smoking again in 2016 because of stress, with my marriage and *gestures vaguely at the world*. I still smoke. It is still the only way I get breaks now because I work at a company of five people total and I'm the entire sales department, the CTO and the COO. I smoke American Spirit light greens. About a half a pack to a pack a day, almost exclusively when I'm overwhelmed with stress. It's a keep-me-from-crying crutch.

When I quit smoking I may well also just quit my job. Going cold turkey is honestly better than Chantix ever would be, but I'm probably going to get some nicotine lozenges this round just in case. I can't do patches for reasons, and nic vapes of any kind, ironically, make me cough so much worse than cigarettes.

I look forward to shivering and sweating in the fetal position for a couple of weeks solid, then being even bitchier than normal for a month. Quitting smoking for me is harder than quitting heroin ever was. And I quit heroin with zero supportive meds and no help from a doctor. So. Yay, let's loving do this, I don't want to live forever but I also don't wanna die because I'm sucking down exhaust that doesn't even get me high.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

That said I'm still gonna smoke a gently caress load of weed. I mostly vape over smoking weed more anyway, and it's helpful for other things, and frankly I'll allow myself one loving vice for harm reduction.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

BlueBull posted:

Maybe cigs aren't the healthiest things in the world, but at the end of the day at least it's not Heroin so could be worse!

lung cancer is a much worse way to die than heroin overdose

Teddy Thunders posted:

You only got a break from the line to go smoke

this is illegal as gently caress. the law guarantees you breaks. you could have just said gently caress you, I'm taking my break and sued them if they disciplined you for it

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

Teddy Thunders posted:

I used Chantix to quit but my doctor didn't tell me it was very similar to Wellbutrin. It made me have a full on psychotic episode and I tried to kill myself several times. I ended up hospitalized for six weeks, but I didn't smoke anymore after that. For five years.

Oh man, I thought I was the only one that Wellbutrin hosed up. I'll be hosed if I ever go to prison.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

poverty goat posted:

this is illegal as gently caress. the law guarantees you breaks. you could have just said gently caress you, I'm taking my break and sued them if they disciplined you for it

i see you are unfamiliar with food service work

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

poverty goat posted:

lung cancer is a much worse way to die than heroin overdose

Yeah uhhhh I was also getting paid under the table at restaurants and working 18 hour days seven days a week. Same with hotels. Three service industry doesn't give a gently caress about laws and legislators don't give a gently caress about service workers.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

WombatCyborg posted:

Oh man, I thought I was the only one that Wellbutrin hosed up. I'll be hosed if I ever go to prison.

Yup. I don't enjoy it at all.

Chantix made me think I was being trapped by people who were trying to steal my organs. I have zero memory of it but I've been told by other people that it made me really, really Not Okay.

I'm fine with cold turkey. I can get through it one way or another.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

poverty goat posted:

Oh my sweet summer child.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

my dog died im sad posted:

I'm always shocked to meet people that got addicted to cigs after the age 25.
Myself and most people I know we're stupid teenagers when we started smoking ( thanks Joe camel).
But you're in your mid twenties and you decide to do this??? How??!?!??

Hey.
I started at 26. The perks are I can go weeks without a cig, and withdrawl symptoms are SIGNIFICANTLY less than if I started earlier.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Mormon Nailer posted:

Yup. I don't enjoy it at all.

Chantix made me think I was being trapped by people who were trying to steal my organs. I have zero memory of it but I've been told by other people that it made me really, really Not Okay.

I'm fine with cold turkey. I can get through it one way or another.

I couldn't sleep at night for basically 11 days and wound up in carrier clinic where they gave me a radical Ativan addiction which I od'ed on while drinking when I got out.

gently caress Chantix. gently caress Pfizer. gently caress the FDA.

Next time I do ayahuasca, I'm going with the intention of quitting nicotine. Worked for meth so here's hoping.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

bradzilla posted:

Cigarettes arent great quality in terms of the actual sourced tobacco. They use floor scraps of low quality tobacco, then spray them with nicotine. Its the equivalent of buying Minute Made Orange juice with added Vitamin C and sugar, vs actually having fresh.

If anyone has insight to the process of how cigs are made, please feel free to tell me more, as Im not all that informed. Ive just heard its far from "oh im just smoking tabacco".

kntfkr posted:

Next time I do ayahuasca, I'm going with the intention of quitting nicotine. Worked for meth so here's hoping.

Goddamn. Ayahusacas a hell-of-a trip.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 10, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tobacco already has nicotine, why would you spray it with more and where are you getting it from that isn't also saleable product?

Do they not sell reduced/modified risk products in the US? That is the thing here in Japan. If you smoke traditional cigarettes under 50 people think you are insane.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

zaepg posted:

Cigarettes arent great quality in terms of the actual sourced tobacco. They use floor scraps of low quality tobacco, then spray them with nicotine. Its the equivalent of

Goddamn. Ayahusacas a hell-of-a trip.

Yeah man, have you been to a ceremony?

Barudak, I think anything reduced risk in the US would get killed by the FDA for "encouraging children to smoke". Also, what do cigarettes cost in Japan now? It was Y330 when I lived in Akita 10 years ago. I can't imagine living in Asia and not smoking (and drinking heavily).

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
two very specific things. skoal mint pouches and wine flavor wood tips black and milds.

ive been dipping skoal for 15 years and like the pouches cause i dont make a mess like i do with longcut. i use 2 pouches at a time, with one on each side of mouth

the black and milds are for smoking while i drink outside, i like alternating between the heat from the smoke with the coldness of the beer in my mouth

kinda particular, but once youve done it for a long time you know what you like, i guess.

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 10, 2021

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

This probably belongs in the cigar thread or something, but I have a handful of cigars from cuba that have been in a Ziploc bag at my place in new england for like 3 years now. Are they toast? Can they be revived? Would a non connoisseur like me even know the difference? I know it's probably sacrilege, but I'm dumb

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
smoked a pack a day for 20 years, about, took a break in the middle for a few to rip an epic vape. quit again recently to get back on the sick clouds train. cost me $300 a month, pack of yellow spirits a day. thats some serious cheese. dont do it!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kntfkr posted:

Barudak, I think anything reduced risk in the US would get killed by the FDA for "encouraging children to smoke". Also, what do cigarettes cost in Japan now? It was Y330 when I lived in Akita 10 years ago. I can't imagine living in Asia and not smoking (and drinking heavily).

Its like 550 yen for a pack of the sticks.

They make the units(?) you put the sticks in for as cheap as like 900 yen so like even the poorest dude is using em.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I currently smoke marlboro special selects, which used to be called special blend (reds of course because I’m not a pussy.) they taste like reds did pre fire safe cigarettes. Tho pre fsc I preferred Winston reds, soft pack of course. I hate how hard it is to find soft packs these days.

Other notable good cigarettes I haven’t had in a while:
Dunhill international lights
London express something 555’s
Exporta mediums
Nat Shermans
Rosthchilds
Chungwas (only have had two packs, but they were soft packs)
Bamraim? Too lazy to look up, but it’s an Iranian brand that had a size that was a mini cig. Little wider than a Virginia slim, and length of a 72. Perfect for chain smoking 2, or 1 for a quick hit
Pall mall filter less because I’m a manly man
Galliouse brunes

Cool as gently caress cigarettes, but not so great:
Black Death (logo is a skull with a top hat, goth fave)
Honey bees (Black Death but roasted with honey)
Nat Sherman fantasia
Commanders (the only class B cigarette I’ve had)

Best rolling tobacco
Drum
Lion

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Also technically a cigarillo but the al Capone cognac dipped are the tits

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i felt sad the other day but then i went for a walk and smoked a cigarette and i felt cool instead

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

zenguitarman posted:

This probably belongs in the cigar thread or something, but I have a handful of cigars from cuba that have been in a Ziploc bag at my place in new england for like 3 years now. Are they toast? Can they be revived? Would a non connoisseur like me even know the difference? I know it's probably sacrilege, but I'm dumb

honestly people can speculate as to whether or not those are still worth smoking but the only way to really know is to try one, I personally have my (huge) doubts

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Revins posted:

honestly people can speculate as to whether or not those are still worth smoking but the only way to really know is to try one, I personally have my (huge) doubts

I imagine they are still smokeable. That guy that eats soldier rations from WW1 is always finding cigarettes that are still good.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's not like it'll be moldy right? Even mold gets cancer from tobacci

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Tobacco already has nicotine, why would you spray it with more and where are you getting it from that isn't also saleable product?

Do they not sell reduced/modified risk products in the US? That is the thing here in Japan. If you smoke traditional cigarettes under 50 people think you are insane.

From what Ive read they turn the leaf into a pulp sheet, and theres a lot of washing and removing of impurities that happens. Ive also read they use stems and low grade bits to save on cost.

kntfkr posted:

I made a homebrew mix at 18.

Edit. Here's an article that explains the process.Id be curious if this is a common practice, or only a few companies that do this. Cigarettes and cigars hit different (duh) so Ive always asumed theres a bit of a science behind it.

quote:

Only a portion of the tobacco inside a cigarette comes from the leaf of a tobacco plant. A significant amount of the shredded brown innards of most modern cigarettes is a paper product called "reconstituted tobacco" or "homogenized sheet tobacco," which is made from a pulp of mashed tobacco stems and other parts of the tobacco leaf that would otherwise go to waste. Manufacturers spray and impregnate reconstituted tobacco paper with nicotine and other substances lost during the process, along with as many as 600 chemical additives. These include several that may come as a surprise, such as ammonia, which aids in the delivery of nicotine, and chocolate, which masks the bitter taste of tobacco. Finally, the 'recon' is sliced to resemble shredded leaf tobacco.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/cigarette/anat_text.html

zaepg fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 10, 2021

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

I smoke little cigars, and I inhale. 2 bucks a pack, 20 in a pack. I swear these things were invented to kill poor smokers who can't afford 7 bucks a pack of regular ones.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Drunk and enjoyed a blue Camel 99 outside but it was colder than expected so I did not luxuriate in the experience. How goes it fellow cool cats. I hope you are brushing your teeth on a regular basis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I ran out of nicotine juice so I bought a pack of lucky strikes and put the pack in my rolled up sleeve to look cool but then I slipped on a banana peel