Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
When is the sequel coming out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I just saw it, albeit fragmented because i'm at work.

It's a fun straightforward heist movie, it's kinda predictable but the charming and charismatic cast make up for it,

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Saw Army of Thieves, wrote it up on letterboxd. It's a breezy fun thing that's pretty much two more hours of Schweighöfer being nerdy-charming as Dieter.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox5JG1tBsgg

bushisms.txt posted:

It's David wellington's monster planet, after monster Island which was what army adapted, and they're skipping monster nation. Really great series, everything he does is, now i need his vampire hunter series.
Why would they skip a chance to make Monster Nation into Nation of the Dead? It would make a nice trilogy with Planet of the Dead.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 30, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The United States posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox5JG1tBsgg

Why would they skip a chance to make Monster Nation into Nation of the Dead? It would make a nice trilogy with Planet of the Dead.
Because none of it's official. Wellington gets his stuff mined all the time with no credit, that Z Nation show is the same way. It's wellington's curse for starting them as free online novels.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Army Of Thieves is CONFIRMED for extremely good.

There's the expected Snyder influence, but it plays out more like a less-hyperactive Edgar Wright movie.

Wow, way to talk it up!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Army of Thieves is kind of generic - it's a slick, silly heist movie. But it's really well done and the cast are charismatic as hell.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Army of Thieves is kind of generic - it's a slick, silly heist movie. But it's really well done and the cast are charismatic as hell.

Plot wise it's pretty by the numbers, yeah, but the execution was pretty good, and the charismatic cast really help carry the film

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The state of movies is such that a charming heist picture without any flaws automatically trounces most of the years' 'biggest' films.

But this one is even trickier for being an actually-good version of Baby Driver. That sort of 'live action Paddington' magical realism stuff is pretty hard to pull off.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

McCloud posted:

Not sure, maybe he got of well with Zack, maybe Zack felt he was too busy to do it himself

I have no idea why this is funny to me

https://mobile.twitter.com/Warrior9983/status/1457809670559645699

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The state of movies is such that a charming heist picture without any flaws automatically trounces most of the years' 'biggest' films.

But this one is even trickier for being an actually-good version of Baby Driver. That sort of 'live action Paddington' magical realism stuff is pretty hard to pull off.

Magical realism in general is something a lot of American directors seem to struggle with. See why a lot of adaptations of kids' stories that absolutely require it can end up getting weird as a result. Though some of those pull it off flawlessly not even just because they have to, Toy Story comes to mind.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shageletic posted:

[Spider-Man with a gun]
"My spidey-trigger-finger is tingling..."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GenR5tt45Y

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here's a good article about how Wagner's The Ring Cycle is incorporated in Army of Theives.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Just watched Army of Thieves and I adore it. Vibing hard with Korina, who embodies a particular lyric of Weezy F. Baby -
"Riding to myself, 'cause I don't gently caress with nothing
Pistol on my lap on the way to the money"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Thieves is so good. Watched it with my in laws and my MIL who hates action movies was in love with Dieter. So when it ended and the Army trailer started, she turned that on and watched that. She wasn't thrilled it was a lot more brutal but she still enjoyed it.

Tldr dieter is the best

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Watched Army of Thieves first, it was good.

Then watched Army if the Dead, it was bad.

Very disappointed about the design of the Gotterdamerung, after the build up of AoT.

Also the horse/helicopter thing was very obvious and poorly done - I might have been viewing it through a more critical lens as Coyote had just sacrificed herself in a real dumb way.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 2, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Btw Army of Thieves was an absolute monster hit internationally and only its under-performance in the USA kept it from outdoing Army of the Dead.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm rewatching ZSJL and laughed because I totally forgot about the cut from Steppenwolf to Bruce Wayne's like Gillette razor. Snyder's a funny guy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Edit: Wrong Thread

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Army of Thieves was pretty fun! And it was shot by a legit DP who prefers to use good lenses, so it didn't look like poo poo. In fact it looked rather nice!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I liked Army of the Dead's hazy/dreamy aesthetic :shobon:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

I liked Army of the Dead's hazy/dreamy aesthetic :shobon:

Same. The way the lens changes its focus midscenes was really neat, I thought

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Also 5 people is not exactly an army

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Goffer posted:

Also 5 people is not exactly an army

There's more than 5 zombies in the film, op.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

There's more than 5 zombies in the film, op.

They may mean Army of Thieves, in which case I agree. 5 is, at most, a posse.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
The title is referring to the small crew's enlistment into the robber class institutional to the global economy as such. So in the midst of the end times, the world police hunts down the heist crew that is performing a largely symbolic act in a desperate attempt to protect the integrity of a market in crisis.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They may mean Army of Thieves, in which case I agree. 5 is, at most, a posse.

I'm sure the banks have more than five employees.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
There were enough people at that safe-cracking competition to constitute an army, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While I don't like zombie stuff I'm shamefully interested in the Lore here. I wanna know what's up with those UFOs.