Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I built something in VB6 and Access back in 1999 and it's still in use today.

The only maintenance I've ever done on it was visit the premises and replace the power supply on the tower PC that runs 24/7.

They're completely happy with it and have no interest in updating or migrating it to something else.

I was 14 and they were a family friend who gave me enough money to buy a voodoo 2

What I'm saying is that computers are a scam and for children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SpaceAceJase posted:

I built something in VB6 and Access back in 1999 and it's still in use today.

The only maintenance I've ever done on it was visit the premises and replace the power supply on the tower PC that runs 24/7.

They're completely happy with it and have no interest in updating or migrating it to something else.

I was 14 and they were a family friend who gave me enough money to buy a voodoo 2

What I'm saying is that computers are a scam and for children

so how does it feel that your usefulness to society peaked at 14?

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
fart

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

so how does it feel that your usefulness to society peaked at 14?

feels good

I hope you can experience an achievement in your lifetime too, friend

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

and that is why access owns

a workable ui over a workable single user rdbms or a seperate big boi rdbms solves heaps of problems for people and is enough to do a lot. it’s like a pareto principle at 1:95 for business software

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i did a brief side gig in college working at some place that... idk advertised compliance training to lawyers or something? they had us go over a bunch of court system PDFs to get attorneys' addresses and enter them into a database

i spent one of the shifts writing some janky python thing to scrape the PDFs and vomit out the relevant bits, since they were mostly standardized--still needed manual review but it was a lot faster than manually opening and reading the PDFs. didn't occur to me that i probably coulda sold that poo poo to them instead of just using it to complete a "shift" in like 10% of the time i used to need and work on homework during the rest

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

heck, I’m using access right now!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
lol today's hn is literally bastardized spreadheet as issue tracker as a saas app https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31098065

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
jesus christ, at least its not only this one client, at least

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
jeeeeesus, just read this thread title after dealing with it for the third time in as many jobs. my boss may be an awesome self-taught mutually respectful Legitimate Authority nerd, but he has zero radar for stopping Product from manipulating junior employees

anyone have advice for dealing with Lumberg?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Analytic Engine posted:

jeeeeesus, just read this thread title after dealing with it for the third time in as many jobs. my boss may be an awesome self-taught mutually respectful Legitimate Authority nerd, but he has zero radar for stopping Product from manipulating junior employees

anyone have advice for dealing with Lumberg?

What you do is you dip 10 minutes earlier so he can’t ask you to work Saturday

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Armitag3 posted:

What you do is you dip 10 minutes earlier so he can’t ask you to work Saturday

yeah I've been manually setting slack to Away and Stop Alerts despite coding at night

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

in 2011 during the lead up to a major ship inspection while i was still in the navy, i gave all the division officers on the ship a standard spreadsheet format to use to list and track all their discrepancies (my division had one that was around 10k line items because i had to track every single fuse on the ship). they were supposed to save an updated version with their division name in a particular directory on our share drive. i then had a master sheet with a macro that would pull the relevant info from everyone's spreadsheets and compile them into a single document. the front sheet of this workbook had the charts and actionable statistics to put on the powerpoint presentation that was given daily to the captain, the commodore's staff, the admiral's staff, and whoever else felt like showing up.

our ops officer liked my system so much, it was distributed across the waterfront. he told me four years later he was using it as an executive officer on a ship.

someone else got an award for my system because they gave a presentation one day.

Product asked a junior employee to update the crash message for users, demanding she have a live testable example in production. I diffused the situation by rattling off how I would implement a user-inaccessible game Debug Room, and I just saw it as an in-progress PR with no attribution called Secret Menu Drawer

Edit: god drat it, just realized I really was that dumb. we're talking cartoon-characters-learn-a-lesson dumb

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 27, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
if you double-click certain labels in certain forms, Secret controls appear for testing and debug functions

not kidding.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

you're within your excel sheet, within sharepoint, within microsoft teams, and this comes flying at you. how do you open?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

you're within your excel sheet, within sharepoint, within microsoft teams, and this comes flying at you. how do you open?

i open the nearest window and jump out of it

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Generic Monk posted:

why would i be within teams? in a world with these employment opportunities, why would anyone work at a company that made them do this?

would literally quit my job over that

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tom Collins posted:

why would i be within teams? in a world with these employment opportunities, why would anyone work at a company that made them do this?

would literally quit my job over that

this popped up covering half of the gigantic excel spreadsheet we use as a project management tool, that is only accessible through the ‘files’ section of a team in teams, so i can’t fault the timing

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Files tab of a team in teams are backed by Sharepoint document libraries, so it's usually best to go to that page and bookmark it in your browser.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Files tab of a team in teams are backed by Sharepoint document libraries, so it's usually best to go to that page and bookmark it in your browser.

i should probably put in that tiny bit of work; I've managed to avoid engaging with it apart from this one document and i just don't want to think about it. like, sometimes people apply filters to the thing that i spend 2 minutes trying to figure out how to remove and then i just call someone to see if they can tell me what i was trying to find out. i've just gone back to using email to send poo poo because i just don't want to deal with this lmao

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im glad other people share my pain

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
alright people, looks like Bill the project manager is going to embed the excel sheet into a sharepoint point page. please hold off on changes until wednesday.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

alright people, looks like Bill the project manager is going to embed the excel sheet into a sharepoint point page. please hold off on changes until wednesday.

sorry, I just updated a bunch of our issues with new tags - will they make it into the new version?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

distortion park posted:

sorry, I just updated a bunch of our issues with new tags - will they make it into the new version?

did you update them into v1_final or v1_salesfinal

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hi please migrate these pages to google sheets microsoft office support will end in q4

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

distortion park posted:

Hey I don't think you added me to the distro when you added tags, so I don't have that revision. I need you to send it to me so I can copy paste it into the new Google sheet. Sometimes it doesn't copy right so I just input in the values as I see em on my second monitor.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Hey I don't think you added me to the distro when you added tags, so I don't have that revision. I need you to send it to me so I can copy paste it into the new Google sheet. Sometimes it doesn't copy right so I just input in the values as I see em on my second monitor.

ok done, make sure you include the changes from the sharepoint version too

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

distortion park posted:

ok done, make sure you include the changes from the sharepoint version too

i don't have access to that one, can you have james just send me the latest copy

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Remember that tomorrow we're having a training session where 7 people crowd around my desktop and I show them my 73-step procedure for producing the one output value that we ever use from the data in this 70MB spreadsheet that comes out from the Colorado branch every Wednesday morning

No, I won't write this down or learn how to use formulas, you need to memorize it like I did because my boomer boss is super impressed by watching me click stuff in rapid sequence. I'm trying to help your career here.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
kk, heres the training file with all the PII sanitized. Hope it helps your class

posting_enemies.xlsx

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
resent with correct file

v1_salesfinal_training.xlsx

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Increasing the font size instead of zooming in on the document.

Can you guys save the file in .doc format?
I paid for this oem license* of office 2003 and I'm not upgrading to subscription poo poo

*peeled the key off a gateway 2000 pc at work

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey folks we didn’t get budget for jira again this quarter but have you heard of airtable?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

SpaceAceJase posted:

Increasing the font size instead of zooming in on the document.

Can you guys save the file in .doc format?
I paid for this oem license* of office 2003 and I'm not upgrading to subscription poo poo

*peeled the key off a gateway 2000 pc at work

its ridiculously easy to do this with the subscription versions btw. just saying

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

hey folks we didn’t get budget for jira again this quarter but have you heard of airtable?

how about we just run our expired version of jira for the next 5 years instead?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

KirbyKhan posted:

resent with correct file

v1_salesfinal_training.xlsx

this doesn’t have James’s latest edits i don’t think

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

meat sweats posted:

Remember that tomorrow we're having a training session where 7 people crowd around my desktop and I show them my 73-step procedure for producing the one output value that we ever use from the data in this 70MB spreadsheet that comes out from the Colorado branch every Wednesday morning

No, I won't write this down or learn how to use formulas, you need to memorize it like I did because my boomer boss is super impressed by watching me click stuff in rapid sequence. I'm trying to help your career here.

Captain Foo posted:

this doesn’t have James’s latest edits i don’t think

Oh last I heard he was gone. I can't find any mention of it in my email, but I swear he bombed the slack meme chat with that Half Baked gif of Scarface quitting the burger spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

qirex posted:

can i install a powerbi plugin for it