Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Firstly, I want to say that the entire point of this project is vicariously living through the past and the waste of time is a feature, not a bug. It's quite fun! So please don't be impolite and post "just use a modern system dork." This sort of poo poo has kept me sane over the last few months.

With that out of the way, the problem is this: Three separate boards work, and will see and use all USB devices except Flash drives, specifically. These drives are otherwise known working, both with new and extremely old (Including a Pentium 2) systems. These boards with this bug will see anything else- including a bus powered USB hard drive I used to skirt around the issue.

The boards are: Asus P5K. Asus P5K-SE, and Asus P5Q-Turbo. They are Intel P35, and P45. I have tried the following:
Different RAM.
Different CPUs
Different Power supply.
Different cases and heatsinks.
Different DVD/HDD
All USB ports.
Separate stand-alone USB PCI card, with USB in the BIOS turned off.
Issue persists across Vista and 7, and the devices are not detected in the BIOS [It has a tool for installing a new bios from a USB drive.]
Interesting Quirk: The P5K series _did_ once see the flash drives, briefly. In fact I updated the P5K bios using a flash drive before the problem started.

My best-guess at this point is either ASUS bioses from this period, or the Intel P35/45 Chipset, have a bizarre edge-case bug that is preventing basic Mass Storage from being detected, but higher-end USB hard drives work fine.

The issue remains. It's absolutely bizarre and I doubt anyone has a solution, but I want you to behold this remarkable edge case I somehow found.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You talked about motherboards but not the actual flash drives. I have one flash drive that is really old and requires being plugged into the computer 2?! times for it to mount correctly. All computers, all windows versions. This is the drive itself.

Now you should definitely plug the stick in question into one of these computers and check what device manager says.. and also disk management.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Also if with of those boards have options for UEFI booting, change it to BIOS/Legacy.

I had boards with really early UEFI implementations that absolutely hosed with USB functionality. Now these were X38/X48 chipset boards, but they’re similar in age and I wouldn’t put it past ASUS to sneak busted UEFI as a feature in a late BIOS update. Now that’s a real reach, but these are edge cases we’re talking about here.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

redeyes posted:

You talked about motherboards but not the actual flash drives. I have one flash drive that is really old and requires being plugged into the computer 2?! times for it to mount correctly. All computers, all windows versions. This is the drive itself.

Now you should definitely plug the stick in question into one of these computers and check what device manager says.. and also disk management.

I tried plugging them into all ports, repeatedly, and they are recognized immediately on every other computer. The device manager says "unknown device" and Windows gives a "USB Device Not Recognized" error.

Laslow posted:

Also if with of those boards have options for UEFI booting, change it to BIOS/Legacy.

I had boards with really early UEFI implementations that absolutely hosed with USB functionality. Now these were X38/X48 chipset boards, but they’re similar in age and I wouldn’t put it past ASUS to sneak busted UEFI as a feature in a late BIOS update. Now that’s a real reach, but these are edge cases we’re talking about here.

These do not have UEFI support and turning on/off legacy USB support doesn't chance anything.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Some old-rear end devices have trouble with newer USB drives for reasons. Do you have any ≤1gb drives you can try with these systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Some old-rear end devices have trouble with newer USB drives for reasons. Do you have any ≤1gb drives you can try with these systems?

Nein but they work fine with Pentiums :p