Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

For no reason at all I decided to list every movie by Paul Thomas Anderson and Paul WS Anderson in chronological order.

When I did so I realised you could watch every single PTA film in a double feature with a PWSA film. Here's how:

---

PRELUDE:
First, watch Shopping (PWSA, 1994) -- which is also Jude Law's first major role! -- before starting on the first four double features.

DOUBLE FEATURE 1:
Mortal Kombat (PWSA, 1995) and Hard Eight (PTA, 1996)

DOUBLE FEATURE 2:
Event Horizon (PWSA, 1997) and Boogie Nights (PTA, 1997)

DOUBLE FEATURE 3:
Soldier (PWSA, 1998) and Magnolia (PTA, 1999)

DOUBLE FEATURE 4:
Resident Evil (PWSA, 2002) and Punch-Drunk Love (PTA, 2002)

INTERLUDE 1:
Then, watch Alien Vs. Predator (PWSA, 2004), then the next two Resident Evil films (Apocalypse, 2004, and Extinction, 2007), which weren't by PWSA but are needed to catch up before his next outing in the franchise. You can also watch AVP: Requiem (2007) if you like, even though PWSA wasn't involved.

Then...

DOUBLE FEATURE 5:
There Will Be Blood (PTA, 2007) and Death Race (PWSA, 2008)
- NB: Death Race had a bunch of direct-to-DVD sequels that PWSA produced, but I'd recommend steering clear of them.

INTERLUDE 2:
Next watch Resident Evil: Afterlife (PWSA, 2010) and The Three Musketeers (PWSA, 2011) to catch up before the most special double feature of all...

DOUBLE FEATURE 6:
The Master (PTA, 2012) and Resident Evil: Retribution (PWSA, 2012)
- These two films came out on the exact same day in 2012 in the US! What a momentous day in cinema history.

After this special occasion we coast to the end with three more double features:

DOUBLE FEATURE 7:
Pompeii (PWSA, 2014) and Inherent Vice (PTA, 2014)

DOUBLE FEATURE 8:
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (PWSA, 2016) and The Phantom Thread (PTA, 2017)

DOUBLE FEATURE 9:
Monster Hunter (PWSA, 2020) and Soggy Bottom (PTA, 2021)
- NB: Save this one for November when Soggy Bottom is due to release

---

Final notes: I left out other films PWSA was a producer only on, like the excellent sci-fi horror Pandorum (2009). I also left out PWSA's TV film The Sight (2000), which I've heard is bad.

I plan to watch through all the films by these two master directors over the next year or so, following the plan above.

Happy viewing, everyone! :)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t care for WS even tho my user name is from a movie of his

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait these are two seperate people. What . The. gently caress.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

That's an excellent way of appreciating PTA's work even more

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hollismason posted:

You thought the guy who made Mortal Kombat also made Boogie Nights? :doh:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love the idea of them being one filmmaker, and that he was just hustling super hard making schlock to pay off his artsy indie films.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I like to imagine that they're conjoined twins and so, like, they trade off doing films so they can be on the other set and maybe they'll give each other advice but also they tend to bicker even though they love each other cause they're literally connected by their torsos and if you separated them they would die within minutes

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TrixRabbi posted:

I like to imagine that they're conjoined twins and so, like, they trade off doing films so they can be on the other set and maybe they'll give each other advice but also they tend to bicker even though they love each other cause they're literally connected by their torsos and if you separated them they would die within minutes

I want this, as a Christopher Guest mockumentary

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Christopher Guest presents: The Magnificent Andersons

Starring Bob Balaban as Paul Thomas Anderson and Michael McKean as Paul WS Anderson

E: I should have actually looked at what the two directors look like. Now I have, I can confidently say that Michael Shannon should play PTA, and Chris O'Dowd should play PWSA

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 25, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I was picturing these guys:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Can always mix in Wes Anderson as well just to keep things interesting!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Thank you for this PSA.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hollismason posted:

They are not, the OP is mistaken

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Kangra posted:

Thank you for this PWSAPTAPSA.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When I met PTA I asked him if he enjoyed working with Milla Jovovich so frequently. It took him a second and then he laughed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

DOUBLE FEATURE 3:
Soldier (PWSA, 1998) and Magnolia (PTA, 1999)

Lol Soldier wins here

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

You thought the guy who made Mortal Kombat also made Boogie Nights? :doh:

The guy that made babe: pig in the city made mad max

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The guy that made babe: pig in the city made mad max

Babe Pig in the City is super his style though. Babe 1, not so much.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Darko posted:

He didn't direct Babe 1.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Darko posted:

Both movies have the same style, almost exactly. The sequel's tone is just far darker. My instinct was that it was a Poltergeist situation where George Miller functioned during production as a co-director while being only a producer and writer on paper. Nothing to substantiate this, only that Babe is a ludicrously excellent movie and the only person out of Noonan and Miller that has made other excellent movies is Miller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

He didn't direct Babe 1.

As Cheeseman said, I've heard the "ghost director" thing with Babe like I did with Poltergeist (and parts of Poltergeist are super super obviously so Spielberg I agree with a good chunk possibly having his direct control).