Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
On July 21st of this year, the Seattle Kraken will select one player from each other NHL hockey team, establishing their initial NHL roster. When this happened with the Vegas Knights four years ago we ran a mock draft competition and handed out fabulous prizes to the winner zodiackylite. I would like to run a similar contest this year, and this is the thread to prepare for that. I was hoping to ask people what they felt worked last time, and if they have any idea for how to run it this time.

So, prospectively:

- You'd be submitting your team through a google form, one player per team. I'd enter them into an excel spreadsheet and upload it so everyone could see what everyone else submitted.

- Players would be chosen from eligible-to-be-selected players, of course

- Scoring would be 2 points for a goal, 1 for an assist, 0.1 for a shot, and -0.2 per PIM, like last time.

- Definitely prizes for highest overall score. Probably free avs/upgrades for everyone whose selected team most closely matches the actual selections.

Does this seem like a good model? Anything else you'd like to see me include?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'd love to do this, but the problem of having no idea which deals teams make to ensure certain players get selected make this impossible to gauge.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fawning deference posted:

I'd love to do this, but the problem of having no idea which deals teams make to ensure certain players get selected make this impossible to gauge.

The big prize (and any possible bonus prizes I can figure out) will be tied to choosing the players (from amongst eligible players) that do the best in the upcoming season. So this is more about picking who does best than anticipating what Seattle will do. Though, of course, whoever Seattle does pick will likely benefit from increased ice time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's part of the challenge, you have to guess at what sorts of deals might be made to bribe Seattle away from picking which certain players.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Given that no one here works in professional hockey (that I know of) , plus not having the ability to predict , means that there is def gonna just be a lot of luck involved.

That said, this looks like a lot of fun and I’m for it. Thanks Hand Knit.

Also: getting this out there now: any wrong/bad choices I make are just bad luck, any smart decisions is me being a genius.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Duckman2008 posted:

Given that no one here works in professional hockey (that I know of) , plus not having the ability to predict , means that there is def gonna just be a lot of luck involved.

So, just like real hockey then.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Follow up results are a bonus, the most fun of this is agonizing over player choices on teams I never follow at all for hours

looks like Capfriendly has a tool already up for mocking the expansion draft again

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Fair enough, I'm in.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So the game is "pick the best possible expansion team" rather than "guess what Seattle is going to do"? Cool!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I can't quite remember what happened with respect to how far in advance we knew who the protected players were. Was it a few weeks before the draft?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

tarbrush posted:

So the game is "pick the best possible expansion team" rather than "guess what Seattle is going to do"? Cool!

Follow your heart. There are bigger prizes for the former, of course. But maybe you'd rather go for the easier prize.

JawKnee posted:

I can't quite remember what happened with respect to how far in advance we knew who the protected players were. Was it a few weeks before the draft?

It looks like protected lists are due July 17th, 4 days before the expansion draft.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So we could use CapFriendly here and just devise maybe two separate teams? One would be our best team, two would be who we think Seattle will take?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So we could use CapFriendly here and just devise maybe two separate teams? One would be our best team, two would be who we think Seattle will take?

One submission per person, for obvious reasons.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Alright. Got it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are we using CF? I thought we used that Google polls thing or whatever last time

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are we using CF? I thought we used that Google polls thing or whatever last time

I'm open to using whatever we think would go best.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

I'm open to using whatever we think would go best.

I ask because I find CF's draft interface a little janky, I got the "This has stopped responding" message a couple times trying to figure out a good strategy

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 30, 2021

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

CF lays out everyone who has to be protected via NMC clauses and their set up is really convenient because you just select a player from each team and their cap hit is right there. I'm open to alternatives, however.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'm just using CF personally because it's handy to not need to check who's available/viable elsewhere. I don't care how submission works

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As a soon to be Kraken fan who doesn't know much about the intricacies of the NHL (i.e. what players teams would protect), what'd be a good spot to get ready for this sort of thing to make a decent prediction?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

seiferguy posted:

As a soon to be Kraken fan who doesn't know much about the intricacies of the NHL (i.e. what players teams would protect), what'd be a good spot to get ready for this sort of thing to make a decent prediction?

Cap Friendly does have good info, I just had major issues with the interface today, ymmv

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I do feel like there's been overall less discussion and less certainty over who the Kraken will be taking. Like, last time, it felt known that they were taking Fleury by the midpoint of the previous season.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

I do feel like there's been overall less discussion and less certainty over who the Kraken will be taking. Like, last time, it felt known that they were taking Fleury by the midpoint of the previous season.

GM's probably learned at least a bit from Vegas

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

went over the (alphabetical) first half of the teams today and uh, I have no idea about half of these teams. Who the gently caress they gonna take from (e.g.) Arizona, Chicago, or Detroit?

For goalies I think Hutton, Talbot and Holtby are likely

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Kraken seem to be aiming to be the Tampa Bay Rays of the NHL.. it's probably not a perfect comparison because obviously the salary cap makes the distribution of team salaries alot tighter than in the MLB, but Seattle has made investments in analytics which are comparable to the most dedicated teams in the league currently if not surpassing them.. the analytics department was the first thing that Francis set up after taking the position as their GM, and he seems to have been influenced along these lines from his time in Carolina. Much like the Rays, the Kraken will be a team (atleast for the near future) built primarily of players who other franchises have given up on.

I think that really adds an extra layer of uncertainty here, because I'm not sure what approach they will use to their roster construction. I do think they will hold off of picking veteran players outside of "team control" for the most part, unless they have a trade worked up to flip that player to another team right after the draft in return for futures compensation. I do think they will steer clear of the temptation of trying to build a team to win right away like Vegas, even though it's not really clear to me that Vegas was trying to win immediately with their draft, it just worked out for them in a kind of miracle combination of break out seasons for previously unheralded players. Vegas was widely predicted by traditional sources and the analytics community alike to finish at the bottom of the conference table, and I think that starting outside of the playoffs is unfortunately the realistic expectation for the Kraken.

This management team will have them at the top of the conference in the first 5 years though, I am really excited to see them go to work for real in July. Fans in Seattle should be very excited for what is coming their way.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 31, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

Fans in Seattle should be very excited for what is coming their way.

I agreed with everything except this last part. Seattle fans are too used to disappointment to get their hopes up too much.

Definitely right about the analytics and scouting though. There will definitely be some surprise picks, and then there will be some very obvious ones too. There’s enough teams out there deep in a section that they won’t be able to protect everything. Still enough to pull some good star power, but you’ll end up with more Alex Tuch picks than you will MAF. Both worked really well for Vegas and I’m looking forward to seeing the surprise moves. I’m not digging in too deep until I see the protected lists.

I don’t know that Talbot will be available. The Wild don’t need to protect Kahkonen as he’s on a entry level rookie contract still. Definitely going to be a bit of a goalie drought this summer, too many teams aren’t happy with what they have.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are we waiting for protection lists or guessing blind?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are we waiting for protection lists or guessing blind?

The way it worked last time was I posted the link a bit early, but only 'available' players count. It resulted in a few non-eligible players being selected. I think this time I'll post the link as soon as the protected lists are made available, which I think allows around four days for people to enter their picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Thread is now live.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973066