Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Some Strange Flea posted:

Again, trying to give the benefit of the doubt, I feel like to some extent I've inflicted some hardship on myself just by the way I happen to have played it (I also e.g. for UNDERTALE scotched a Pacifist run by killing Flowey during the post-final boss dialog so I know I'm not above doing some real dumb poo poo to give myself a bad time). I've really enjoyed the narrative vignettes and some of the later puzzle rooms introduced some mechanics which I thought were interesting but right now I'm replaying literal dozens of early rooms I didn't feel were particularly engaging the first time through, and what few things I've seen that I could potentially interact with at a deeper level have yet to yield anything satisfying.

I know there's something else to this, I just don't know if I want to be moving these fuckin' boxes around any more. :(

You absolutely stumbled into an edge case there and at quite possibly the worst time imaginable. I hope you aren't too discouraged.

There's a thread specifically for Void Stranger where you might get more or faster responses: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041253
It's also full of people who would love nothing more than to vicariously re-live a first experience through yours :)

Thoom posted:

It also sounds like maybe you accidentally got a weird ending. As far as I know, there's no mechanic that punishes you for repeatedly dying in VOID mode, and the ending of the first playthrough is really clearly signposted as an ending and not a punishment for failure.

This is something that was added later on in a patch so maybe you never encountered it. It's an out if you want to exit a VOID run instead of having to play through to an ending, triggered by dying repeatedly on a single floor. If you mash any button while becoming a rock you can back out and continue where you fell, but it's not a very obvious thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Swilo posted:

This is something that was added later on in a patch so maybe you never encountered it. It's an out if you want to exit a VOID run instead of having to play through to an ending, triggered by dying repeatedly on a single floor. If you mash any button while becoming a rock you can back out and continue where you fell, but it's not a very obvious thing.

Oh, weird. I feel like I should have triggered that at some point but maybe the deaths need to be in very rapid succession?. Also seems unnecessary, since you can accomplish the same thing in different, much less possible-to-do-by-accident way.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Thoom posted:

I definitely slept on Void Stranger too long. After a few hundred relatively straightforward Sokoban puzzles, I just fell down the rabbit hole, and it's more like a rabbit chasm.

once you're done with the metaphorical rabbit hole, you should go down a literal rabbit hole with Paquerette Down the Bunburrows

this game is loving awesome, i've been meaning to post about it here for a while. it plays nice like it's merely a super tightly designed sokoban puzzler like Snakebird or Stephen's Sausage Roll for a while, and then you get your first pickaxe and learn about the animal husbandry system and it suddenly becomes an exponential fractal nightmare of map-spanning metachallenges. It sets up early puzzles to intuitively teach new mechanics, but it gradually takes off the training wheels and leaves more and more of the gameplay systems up to you to learn yourself. for dozens of rooms i needed to sit and stare for thirty minutes or more just trying to unravel all the details of the room and the tools provided and the angles of approach, and whenever it clicked together and the solution became clear i always felt like a god.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

once you're done with the metaphorical rabbit hole, you should go down a literal rabbit hole with Paquerette Down the Bunburrows

this game is loving awesome, i've been meaning to post about it here for a while. it plays nice like it's merely a super tightly designed sokoban puzzler like Snakebird or Stephen's Sausage Roll for a while, and then you get your first pickaxe and learn about the animal husbandry system and it suddenly becomes an exponential fractal nightmare of map-spanning metachallenges. It sets up early puzzles to intuitively teach new mechanics, but it gradually takes off the training wheels and leaves more and more of the gameplay systems up to you to learn yourself. for dozens of rooms i needed to sit and stare for thirty minutes or more just trying to unravel all the details of the room and the tools provided and the angles of approach, and whenever it clicked together and the solution became clear i always felt like a god.

I've been playing this game for a few days and wasn't as hot on it coming off of Void Stranger until I broke through the wall with the pickaxe, went to glitch land, mined my way into the "final" (lol) Burrow, shoveled into the final floor and then accidentally got a baby bunny. Elevator ride back up to the surface, roll credits while I didn't even have enough bunnies to enter that level in the first place. Now I'm in Hell stacking as many of these things as possible. Truly insane.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Venuz Patrol posted:

the demo for this just teases enough of its depths to really sell me on it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Botany Manor is out.

It's a nice enough game, the environments are pleasant to walk around but the puzzling is basically cross referencing various sources of information so you can locate the right entry in a spreadsheet and enter it into a form. There's very little applying previous knowledge or inductive reasoning. I'd even go so far as to say more an adventure game than a true puzzle game but the lines get very blurry on the margins of genre.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 10, 2024

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I thought it was fun. Although the game is set in a large manor, progression is broken up into chapters and all the relevant knowledge you need to figure the plants out is located within each chapter's areas. A few of the early puzzles gave me trouble but that was because I was overthinking them. There's no grand puzzles or complex mechanics to figure out, so anyone hoping for a high difficulty might be disappointed.

It looks nice, has a good sense of place even though the art style is pretty simple. Can be completed in an afternoon or two.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Wanted to give a quick shoutout to 14 Minesweeper Variants 2, which has a demo now and I already seem to like quite a bit.

With almost 90 hours in the first game I can heartily recommend either 1 or 2. Maybe I'll go back now and play more 1...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

These kinds of minesweeper variant games are like catnip to me so my Steam wishlist is full of them, but I never actually buy them because I'm still very slowly working my way through Tametsi and repeatedly reassuring myself that I am not the dumbest person on the planet