Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
This is a dead forum so Im making a new thread. I'm a budding blues dad and thinking to get an small tube amp. I have a flex tone II that my dad bought me in high school (at the time I could have picked between that and a mesa F50 LOL. time makes fools of us all).

So anyway.....are supros bad craps? how about a blues junior? can i wear headphones or is that not work? peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Boss Katana.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

Thats NOT a tube amp and I am officially a BLUES DAD. tone is stored in the tubes mate.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just buy a boss katana mr weird rereg dude.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

Spanish Manlove posted:

Just buy a boss katana.

literally like 20 years ago I had a choice between a tube amp and modeling amp. I chose the modeling amp and that's what got me in this mess in the first place.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Fender '68 Custom Vibro Champ: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/68VibroChamp--fender-68-custom-vibro-champ-reverb-1-by-10-inch-5-watt-tube-combo-amp

I use a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb in an apartment but can't really go over 3 on the volume without kicking on an attenuator

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

curried lamb of God posted:

Fender '68 Custom Vibro Champ: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/68VibroChamp--fender-68-custom-vibro-champ-reverb-1-by-10-inch-5-watt-tube-combo-amp

I use a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb in an apartment but can't really go over 3 on the volume without kicking on an attenuator

Wtf why does it cost more than a blues junior or super delta king!????? My wallet

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

epic 2012 username posted:

Wtf why does it cost more than a blues junior or super delta king!????? My wallet

OK fine, you should be able to find used Blues Juniors on Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace/maybe Reverb.com, but make sure it's the Blues Junior IV; it's the newest version and supposedly has a Master Volume that is actually usable instead of going from whisper-quiet to oh holy gently caress that's loud with a slight nudge.

If you want new, the Marshall Origin 20 is well-regarded and can switch between 20, 3, and .5 watt modes. There's also the Vox AC4, which is 4 watts with a good master volume, and it'll sound like a Vox. If you already have a cab, the Origin 20 is also available as a head, and there's also the Peavey Classic 20, which can switch between 20, 5, and 1 watt modes.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

curried lamb of God posted:

OK fine, you should be able to find used Blues Juniors on Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace/maybe Reverb.com, but make sure it's the Blues Junior IV; it's the newest version and supposedly has a Master Volume that is actually usable instead of going from whisper-quiet to oh holy gently caress that's loud with a slight nudge.

If you want new, the Marshall Origin 20 is well-regarded and can switch between 20, 3, and .5 watt modes. There's also the Vox AC4, which is 4 watts with a good master volume, and it'll sound like a Vox. If you already have a cab, the Origin 20 is also available as a head, and there's also the Peavey Classic 20, which can switch between 20, 5, and 1 watt modes.

Than,s op. You’ve given me a lot to chew over

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
I tried alot of amps today. Well I really liked the vibro whatever fender one but it was expensive and didn't break up at all. It was actually my favorite I think The blues junior also didn't break up to give me the authentic blues tones i crave which is weird. It did break earlier in the weeks when I was playing a les paul through it but i guess my strat doesn't have the High gain humbucker gumption to make it break at a reasonable volume.

I tired the drat boss katana and it was sick but not authentic blues dad enough for right now and I have a modeling amp already (flextone II in huge) so I ended up with the supro and my neighbors are going to call the cops on the authentic brown bluesy sound.

epic 2012 username fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 7, 2021

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
I also tried the marshal origin 20 and a vox ac 15 and didn't like them too much. And i tried an orange dark terror lunchbox amp and the tones were not good.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I like the fender bass breaker for small tube amps. They're a kind of 'what if fender had ripped off plexis (like Marshall ripped off the early fender circuit)' concept and they sound great.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

get you're rear end a Deluxe Double Twin Fender Reverb Gold Black Tweedface 4 by 15 Combo Cruncher

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
cost should never be a problem for a blues dad. the whole point is spending thousands on that pristine tone that never leaves the bedroom

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

a.p. dent posted:

cost should never be a problem for a blues dad. the whole point is spending thousands on that pristine tone that never leaves the bedroom

MY MAN

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Supro Jupiter is rad. Also try a Fender Bassman and 410. Or a Hiwatt Custom 100 with Fane loaded cab. Vox AC15 or AC30 is a classic.

But for my tastes, Mesa Dual Rectifier and 412, Blackstar S104 + 412, or a Revv Generator 120 + 412.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

syntaxfunction posted:

Supro Jupiter is rad. Also try a Fender Bassman and 410. Or a Hiwatt Custom 100 with Fane loaded cab. Vox AC15 or AC30 is a classic.

But for my tastes, Mesa Dual Rectifier and 412, Blackstar S104 + 412, or a Revv Generator 120 + 412.

Those amps are too loud for most clubs, so forget about a studio apartment. Good choice of amps though.

To the OP; get a used ‘65 or ‘68 Princeton or Deluxe Reverb and a tube screamer or Klon styled overdrive. Boom, instant blues dad. The Princeton Reverb should breakup nicely at bedroom levels, the Deluxe will need that overdrive, but will give you more headroom if you take it out to clubs.

Used prices are creeping up but they could be had for about $800-1000; I can check to see if we still have any left in my company; I’ve got a pristine used Super Reverb at my shop but that’s definitely not an apartment amp.

The Grapist fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
For home use, you want 5 watts or less. Fender Champion 600 works for me.