Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

While a lot of the issues just boil down to questionable game design, I think a good deal of why the game is the way it is has to do with having a small budget and not enough people to work on it. The team was clearly not equipped to make an open world type game, let alone while simultaneously working on the new custom room system. The extra studio in Hokkaido they got working on the game to assist them seems to have gone to the cosmetic side of things rather than assisting the main team with the game itself.

But ultimately even with more talent, I think New Genesis is a fundamental mismatch of gameplay styles. The open world itself is designed pretty well for exploration, but PSO2’s main gameplay is straight up combat and that’s been relegated to small combat zones. MMOs can find this balance, but they also have way more content. I look forward to them making more classic PSO2 styles linear quests.

in retrospect it almost feels like NGS was intended as an open world tech practice/test for developing Sonic Frontiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

in retrospect it almost feels like NGS was intended as an open world tech practice/test for developing Sonic Frontiers

honestly given how often I've seen assets in 3D sonic platformers that look suspiciously close to stuff from base I don't think you're that far off the mark. clever reuse of an old IP if that's the case IMO

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Nah, they’re completely separate dev teams with no crossover. Sonic Team hasn’t worked on Phantasy Star since the Universe games. They probably both were just trend chasing after Breath of the Wild.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't think they even share a renderer (seeing as sonic team famously wasted two years redoing theirs in order to use it for Forces), let alone any other tech

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Hi, I absolutely love PSO going back to dreamcast days; the spacey, photon weapony aesthetic, top notch for me. I've put literally thousands of hours into the JP server, and have been getting busy on NA recently also. Despite that I feel I'm pretty lovely at the game lmao, need better armor and augments. but my fashion is perfect! Idk, og pso2 and now ngs (sorta) are just some of my favorite games ever to space out to and kill poo poo, in space.

On a final note, the absolute customization you can do with your characters has been such a loving huge draw to me also. It just somewhat helps relieve a bit of dysphoria tbh. Getting to be a cute space bounty hunter and customizing her to a T has been super fun for me.

If y'all have a crew on server 2 lmk!

Gaylor Moon fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There's a link to the Discord we use in the first post. Just join up and say something and it shouldn't take long.