Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

alexandriao posted:

My dad: Infranview, a thousand different pdf viewers, Firefox, and... Advanced System Care.

Seriously I've explained like ten times that he does not need it, that all it does is slow down the computer these days, and that it's probably running a bitcoin miner on his PC. But every time I uninstall it and explain this to him, he downloads it again some point in the future. :ughh:

I spotted two different firewalls running my my dad's old laptop and suddenly realized that's why updates weren't installing. they kept tripping on either one because they were both set to 'maximum' and he denied every alert out of caution

Schadenboner posted:

Is Ninite still ok to use for the purposes discussed ITT or are they bad now?

i still use it for easy updates. there's also patch my pc, which looks a million years old and has a dodgy name, that will do silent install updates on any out of date programs they track. they do a free personal use program, the paid is i think for business use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Agile Vector posted:

I spotted two different firewalls running my my dad's old laptop and suddenly realized that's why updates weren't installing. they kept tripping on either one because they were both set to 'maximum' and he denied every alert out of caution

Somehow this is still better than the alternatives lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

alexandriao posted:

My mum uses Linux, which is a nice change of pace, so her installed software are:

Libreoffice, Nomacs, GIMP (Although rages so much at the machine when using it that she starts crying??), VirtualBox (for Microsoft PaintShop Pro 2002, which she loves)

holy poo poo your mom owns

also, getting so mad that you cry when using free software is par for the course

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

also, getting so mad that you cry when using free software is par for the course

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gimp is really good software although par the course for linux software all the settings are hard to get to/use.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrpinky
Oct 1, 2003

winrar