Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ex Mods Poll Opinions (+current IK +current mod)
This poll is closed.
Relax or Die: i'll tell you what it is: posting theft 10 0.07%
ShallNoiseUpon: i have reported oddium for stealing posting valor i hope the moderators will sort this out post haste 14 0.09%
Cheetah7071: more like snoreson smells 18 0.12%
Oddium: no poll for solidarity with mobile users 36 0.24%
Metis: I promise never to interfere in poll results 15001 99.46%
Hmmmmmm. 4 0.03%
Total: 15083 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Umineko is the Kanye west of video games....

Unironically though.

Looper posted:

i have never played any of these

Check out Under the Skin, it;s a real fun little game that people ignored

cheetah7071 posted:

tbh I read Umnineko when it was new, 6 month waits between episodes an all, and was on the edge of my seat the whole the for the first four and then just a slow slide into "oh, that's all?" for the rest. And then episode 8 pissed me off a lot. I can't really have an intelligent conversation about the details because it's been so long but I'm being completely honest with my umineko opinions

cheetah7071 posted:

The six month gaps did contribute a lot though. I probably spent more time talking about Umineko than most media I consume and did a bunch of Umineko-inspired table top RPGs. If I had been able to read it through all in one go I doubt it would have made much of an impression on me at all. Or maybe having the parts I like be fresh in my mind instead of years old would have salvaged it. Who knows!

TBH I can't relate to that, Maybe If it had been at release then I would relate, but I spent litearrly every second thinking of Umineko, I'm not memeing when I say it changed the way I think, all my old love of mystery, starting with lol From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler came alive to me in a way that I hadn't appreciated. I've never seen a series that managed to love and criticize a genre so well. I'm flabbergasted that Ryukushi managed so well, and tbh scared that Higu and the other game won't live up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Also Beatrice is my Wife

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’m constantly impressed with how many Sonic games I’ve never heard of there are.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Also Beatrice is my Wife

she IS a sassy witch

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I’m constantly impressed with how many Sonic games I’ve never heard of there are.

over the last year and a half or so i've played fifty of them!

Gaius Marius posted:

Check out Under the Skin, it;s a real fun little game that people ignored

i'd never even heard of it but it looks cool! (assuming you mean the capcom ps2 game and not the big cat man game)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

For Sure,
IT's even got Jill Valentine and Nemeisis, I miss that level of experiment devs would make for games, now it's all playing for safety

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do they still make episodic games?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Call of Duty, perhaps

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

FF7Remake just came out, friend.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

tbh I read Umnineko when it was new, 6 month waits between episodes an all, and was on the edge of my seat the whole the for the first four and then just a slow slide into "oh, that's all?" for the rest. And then episode 8 pissed me off a lot. I can't really have an intelligent conversation about the details because it's been so long but I'm being completely honest with my umineko opinions
Honestly I like sort of get it (and we've had this conversation like, five times in chat threads!!) but for me it was something that when I revisited it, read/considered other reads of it as new people started to read it themselves, and better considered the throughline of the narrative themes of the overall package I came away from it feeling a lot more strongly positive about it. I'm not saying you have to do the same because at the end of the day its just a piece of entertainment and if it did not entertain you thats not on you but it's definitely something I have seen other people do as well and its resulted in a pretty gradual but steady climb of Chiru in stuff like the vndb rankings and the like.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

There’s the Life is Strange series for one thing (which will be getting a new addition this September in fact) but other than that and what’s been mentioned I’m not sure if episodic games are all that common these days since Telltale went under

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The new Life is Strange won’t even be episodic, there will be chapter breaks but the whole game will be available at once.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hitman 2016 was the last one I remember.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The new Life is Strange won’t even be episodic, there will be chapter breaks but the whole game will be available at once.

Technically it’s still episodic (interviews and the game’s steam page specifically mention chapters), it’s just being released all at once instead of one episode at a time.

Though I did hear somewhere that it was originally going to be released episodically but COVID and fan complaints about LiS2’s glacial release schedule changed their minds.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

you dont get to count sonic 2+knuckles as a whole different game

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Green Wing posted:

I'm stuck in hospital for several days recovering from massive blood loss, I only have my low-spec laptop for company so uh if anybody has any good reccs for very low-spec RPGs or something, like, itch.io stuff, let me know eh.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/Recettear_An_Item_Shops_Tale/

https://serendipital.itch.io/dungeon-shopper

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Gamer fact: Today/tomorrow is August 1st

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wuggles posted:

Gamer fact: Today/tomorrow is August 1st
yeah, I'm excited for Hololive Error, the hololive horror project commencing august 1st, also

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
August aka Golden Wind

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How I spent the end of July

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

how do i get less completely demoralized when i die in video games

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
try playing a roguelite where death is part of the progression?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

try playing a roguelite where death is part of the progression?

i couldn't beat hades cause dying made me feel so bad :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kerrzhe posted:

It is said: "Only two standing, from a thousand thousands." They see sickness only as evil.They do not listen. They swallow their tears and spurn the breaking of their shells.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I decided not to make the August chat thread

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

i couldn't beat hades cause dying made me feel so bad :(

Changing your perspective helps a lot, in Dark Souls I usually just need to excuse myself after dying enough but in Hades every death is a new adventure cause it lets you see more of the game between boons, weapons, and especially the NPC dialogue. :)

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Kerrzhe posted:

become a shounen protagonist and see every failure as an increasingly exciting chance to prove yourself

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Edge of Tomorrow brain train yourself.

Live.
Die
Repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw61gCe2oqI

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Edge of Tomorrow is the Dark Souls of western cinema