Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Animal-Mother posted:

Voyager went to the 90's. It was..... It was the 90's.

In the Orville when the go to a near human planet, the away team is dressed basically like this and Seth McFarlane says "You look like unemployed backup dancers" , which is extremely apt.

Voyage Home is just so much fun. You get super serious trek stuff in the future, but then you get to the past and its super wacky fun double dumb rear end time! Something that gives it bonus points is that everyone in the crew has something to do. Even Sulu! Most of the Trek movies don't give everyone something to do. Like what does Sulu do in Wrath of Khan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

Laddy... Don't you think you should... rephrase that?

Sorry, I mean you should be looking for the Enterprise IN the crapper!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

twistedmentat posted:

Something that gives it bonus points is that everyone in the crew has something to do. Even Sulu! Most of the Trek movies don't give everyone something to do. Like what does Sulu do in Wrath of Khan?

Allegedly William Shatner had a lot to do with this and it took Leonard Nimoy getting into the director's chair to finally get more of ensemble thing going, but even in III he was trying to get the writers to insert Kirk into the scene where Bones confesses that he misses Spock and to give Kirk a role in the katra ritual and the like.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Tunicate posted:

Sorry, I mean you should be looking for the Enterprise IN the crapper!

MWUUHU HU HU HU HA HA HA HA

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Allegedly William Shatner had a lot to do with this and it took Leonard Nimoy getting into the director's chair to finally get more of ensemble thing going, but even in III he was trying to get the writers to insert Kirk into the scene where Bones confesses that he misses Spock and to give Kirk a role in the katra ritual and the like.

Shatner being all "And when Kirk isn't on screen, all the characters should be asking 'where's Kirk?'"

It's a problem in the TNG movies, most things are just Picard and Data. Which is probably why the only one that's actually good is First Contact.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even First Contact is pretty cursory in giving the rest of the cast anything to do. Poor Dr. Crusher only gets one scene to tell the EMH cameo to stall for time. Insurrection also has other stuff like Troi in the jacuzzi and Riker with his joystick, plus Worf puberty, and that movie still sucks.

Not surprised Shatner tried to command the movies until Nimoy was able to throw up some boundaries though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm skeptical of Shatner having a big hand in the script direction of TWOK. They were under the gun to get a shootable script together in time for production, there absolutely was not time for the same kind of loving around that Patrick Stewart and Michael Piller got up to.

My recollection is that when Harve Bennett marathoned TOS, one of the things he got out of it was the triad of Kirk-Spock-McCoy; it's a lot more likely that he basically told Meyer to focus on those three and let the rest of the characters be supporting cast like they usually were in the show.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
There's a hilarious anecdote in which Shatner nearly derails the production of Star Trek II because he hates Meyer's script. Harve Bennett surmises that Shatner really just wants to be "the first one through the door," and with that in mind Meyer makes some adjustments so there's more of a focus on the heroic James Kirk. Afterwards he gets a message on his answering machine from Shatner gushing about what a genius he is, and later Meyer would play this tape whenever Shatner would complain about anything on set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My recollection is that when Harve Bennett marathoned TOS, one of the things he got out of it was the triad of Kirk-Spock-McCoy; it's a lot more likely that he basically told Meyer to focus on those three and let the rest of the characters be supporting cast like they usually were in the show.

Yeah to be absolutely fair TOS wasn't really an ensemble, it was very much a triad with a few supporting characters.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 18, 2021