Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Circumcised Elon
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine
Can you somehow connect a land line to a PC/Laptop and record like an answering machine?

Or the same but instead of a laptop its a mobile phone?

I assume dongles? at the least.

Basically, I have a landline number and want it to be able to accept and record messages only, and also be not to tape or stuck on a answering machines internal recording device.

land line--- ? --- modern recording device.

Circumcised Elon fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Land lines are a thing of the past man. Back in the day we used to throw a PCI modem in the machine and run some janky piece of poo poo software that was highly unreliable.

Maybe port that line number to Google Voice or something?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The only machine you need is a time traveling machine, to go back to a time when people still used answering machines.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i have to imagine there exists some kind of networking/phone interface you could hook up, that's the foundational reason poo poo like cisco's enterprise phone management suites work. dunno much about it myself though.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't there some open source software that works as a phone management system?

edit: asterisk

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

What you're describing is something known as "voice mail".

Comatoast posted:

Isn't there some open source software that works as a phone management system?

edit: asterisk
Yep.

You're going to need a PC with actual card slots and one of these: https://www.asterisk.org/products/telephony-interface-cards/

This is going to be a moderately complicated project. Forwarding the line to a Google Voice like redeyes suggested is going to be by far the easiest solution if that's feasible. There are of course commercial voicemail PCs you can buy preconfigured that'll do this automatically, but since they're for businesses they're going to be expensive.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

this old thing is the best use for a phone line and an old computer http://myplace.frontier.com/~pumamanor/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
are you telling me there isn't some kind of old rear end windows software that can run off a regular rear end modem to work as an answering machine?

or consider this: a real answering machine, but you take the wires from the speaker and pump them into a computer line-in with voice activated recording software.... ???? love this thread and love phone system janitoring. subscribing for future posts. :thanks:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Smythe posted:

are you telling me there isn't some kind of old rear end windows software that can run off a regular rear end modem to work as an answering machine?

or consider this: a real answering machine, but you take the wires from the speaker and pump them into a computer line-in with voice activated recording software.... ???? love this thread and love phone system janitoring. subscribing for future posts. :thanks:

The gently caress kinda modem do you have that still has a phone jack?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Smythe posted:

I used to use this back a long time ago: https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-phone/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

This is actually sick as gently caress software. The idea of a one-stop shop for telephonic functions on a PC is novel, even today. I actually use Google Fi just so I can (relatively) seamlessly do all my phone stuff through my computer, and Google Messages does way less for a phone than Microsoft Phone 1.0 does...

Now I made myself sad.