Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cruelty Squad is, well, I don't know how to succinctly put it. I'm going to let goon ChickenHeart explain it actually:

Wander eye-searing polygonal landscapes. Become increasingly paranoid of footstep sounds. Obliterate a politician with a toilet hurled through a skylight. Get perforated by a 15-foot-tall cyborg with M60s for hands. Die even more. Give in to despair when your meatoid stock portfolio crashes into the ground. Dehumanize yourself and install a grappling-hook intestine into your abdomen. Transcend death. ♥♥♥♥ the Control. Lob your consciousness into the only existence that matters, Gorbino's Quest.

Thread music: https://youtu.be/MC1xYqAbPFU

:siren: cool screencaps :siren:

:siren: cool screencaps :siren:

How's the gameplay?
Surprisingly deep. The game is broken up into 19 stages (6 which will have to be discovered by you, dear reader). The vast majority of these stages have the same goal - kill a few ultra wealthy executives and exfiltrate out. You can accomplish it the usual way, guns blazing, crawling through vents, or use your entrails as a grappling hook to reach our target, shoot their brains out with your own built-in head cannon, and eat them for a bit of health. There's a lot of replayablility because certain areas and stages cannot be reached unless you return with the right equipment.

What's the plot?
Capitalism has rotted everyone's brains, even if their cheery smiles suggest otherwise. You, an emotionally numb and (only slightly) mentally ill grunt, just got hired on with Cruelty Squad shortly after your former employer canned you. You'll be getting your hands dirty, again, but at least its honest pay for honest work. You'll piece together what kind of hellhole you inhabit as you talk to locals, explore a unique world, and fish across a variety of ponds.

Why should I play this?
Because the shortcomings of capitalism exposed by a global pandemic combined with crypto speculation means that you dont have a GPU to play real games with. You'll have to settle with this version of cyberpunk instead, sorry. To be completely honest, the visuals grew on me rather quickly, and the presentation feels like an actual art direction instead of your garden variety $3 meme game you'll find on steam. The stage music is really good too. There are some bangers that really capture the demented feel of the game, and there's quite a bit of variety.

Cruelty Squad is on Steam for $17.99 with the current 10% discount ending July 8. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1388770/Cruelty_Squad/

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

posting my dumb rear end steam review of cruelty squad because i sincerely believe its one of the best games of the past few years, and the final proof that games are art:

quote:

if you grew up in the 90s, you've probably been here before. not physically, but this place exists inside your heart. the superheated nightmare of the VHS era, the ugly quaintness of windows 98, the sanitized horror of stomach stapling. maybe you've been here in a nightmare, or maybe the place just sits dormant inside you, like a tumor waiting to be diagnosed.

cruelty squad is comforting in the same way as that diagnosis; even though it's bad news, there's kind of a peace in knowing for sure.

the game itself is very fun. it's kind of a combination of deus ex, hitman, and syndicate. you explore strange levels and assassinate strange targets. it's quite challenging, the enemies are reasonable shots and do a lot of damage, but it's fair. there's an emphasis on stealth, but it's not a mission fail if you're detected, it just becomes more challenging. you can outshoot one enemy, but many will be a problem for you.

the variety comes from the large roster of weapons and implants you can pick from, which enable different approaches. pretty much everything is viable, and even goofy seeming weapons have their uses. you can wade in wearing your nightmarish battlesuit and flamethrower everyone on the level, or you can use your intestines to grapple to the top of the tower, kick the target to death, then die to a three foot drop because you replaced all your bones with breadsticks so you could move faster. I like the pistol that damages your target's DNA so much they explode into an abstract sculpture of viscera, which you can then use to platform on.

the visual style of the game is painstakingly crafted to be as ugly and strange as possible. the majority of the textures are hand drawn, the rest being made up of heavily processed photos. it means the game looks something like a deep-fried meme. despite that, it's not muddy or confusing, everything is still very readable as enemy or friendly, except for in a handful of areas that are intended to be confusing.

the music ranges between 'having a fever dream on the couch while the SNES is still on' and 'dead muppets sing in a choir', which helps the surreal atmosphere hugely. the only time it became intrusive was on the first level, where part of the backing track sounded a lot like gunfire which was a bit confusing.

the level design is both very fun to play and strangely upsetting and scary, like if you ever clipped outside the level in a normal shooter as a child and got freaked out because you found a bunch of blurry, empty rooms and felt trapped and lost. realistic environments blend seamlessly into strangeness, leaving you with a feeling like at any second reality is going to lift away like a peeled off scab. there are many secrets, from alternate routes of attack, to hidden weapons, to full on hidden levels. they are fun to find, but easy to miss, which adds replay value to the levels.

in general there are a great many secrets and strange game mechanics which are generally not signposted for you, it's a case of discovery. none of it is vital for just completing the game, so you aren't frustrated trying to figure something out so you can progress, it is all hidden side stuff.

for fans of gorbino's quest there are also a lot of links to the gorbino canon in this game, so don't be surprised if you find a lot of stuff about this game on the various gorbino fan wikis and theory boards. make sure you talk to all the npcs you can to pick up all the nuggets of gorbino lore. there could even be hints about gorbino's quest 2 in here, i've only just started to dive in.

please buy and play cruelty squad. i heard nothing about the game leading up to its release, i dont know anything about the circumstances of its creation, i just saw the name on steam one day and decided to buy it, and it shone a light directly into my heart

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
thanks for the share baby coffin! surprised more goons aren't playing this. feels like it would be a lot of people's jam

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
game good. ceo mindset

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
i put like 30 hours into this game. several of you dear readers had to have played this. i need more goons to talk about this game with.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
People are talking about it in the existing thread ;)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960767

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
There’s two?!
Oh dang.

Thanks goon!