Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Mr. Trampoline posted:

My least favorite UI design choice is when they show your selected choice by either a highlight or changing the text color, such that in a dialog with only 2 choices you have no idea which one you have selected

It happens frustratingly often in games

me squinting at XCOM 2 on Switch handheld, trying to figure out how my soldier is about to level up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
My replay of Wolfenstein: The New Order stopped when I realized you had to manually collect everything that dropped, and they dropped A LOT of poo poo. I get that you didn't necessarily need to pick all of it up but it was a complete pain in the rear end after 20+ years of games where you just pick up ammo/health by walking over it (particularly with a controller, but a mouse didn't help much either).

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Yes, same to all of the ASCII games.

edit: Well it's fine as long as it's exceptionally bad for what it is.
Dwarf Fortress's interface crimes are mostly* unrelated to the text graphics. It's very bad at menus and commands.

Examples:
- k: Look and v: View Units are both commands that give you a cursor describing what's on a tile. They show different, partially overlapping information.
- q: Set Building Tasks/Prefs gives you a 3rd kind of cursor that either creates new rooms (i.e. create a bedroom from a bed) OR assigns work to a building (i.e. asking a workshop to build something)
- b: Buildings, d: Designate, z: Zones, p: Stockpiles, and w: Burrows all either mark space for some purpose or build something. There isn't a whole lot of logic to what's in what menu, e.g. marking trees to chop down is in Designate but marking a river to fish from is in Zones. A garbage dump is a Zone but a refuse stockpile (which is not the same thing) is in Stockpiles. Turning a wall into a staircase is Designate but building a staircase in empty space is Buildings

*It's also bad at text graphics compared to your typical roguelike. It tries to be visual instead of just representative. Like a big sandy desert will have visual texture made out of both ~ and ≈ instead of being uniform. Or all your dwarves are different color happy faces instead of using more glyphs to make them more distinguishable at a glance.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Let me add: any game with slow scrolling text and no key to make it all show up.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

My least favorite UI design choice is when they show your selected choice by either a highlight or changing the text color, such that in a dialog with only 2 choices you have no idea which one you have selected

It happens frustratingly often in games

lmao yes, this

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Shrecknet posted:

It's not quite a whole interface issue, but any game that has you loot enemies/crates whatever and there's a popup like

I am never not taking all. Even if inventory management matters, I will just drop the herbs on the ground later. Even if there's a "∆ Take All" button, that's just proof they know you're just taking it, so who cares? Fallout, Horizon, they all do this and I :kratos: every time.

Otoh, I hate the take all button in Bethesda games because it fills my inventory with crap I don't need or want and is an express train to overencumbered status. Though the worst is when I accidentally press it on a storage container and now have to weed out a hundred items from my inventory.I

In games that aren't full of random junk, I'm right there with you.

Golashes posted:

My replay of Wolfenstein: The New Order stopped when I realized you had to manually collect everything that dropped, and they dropped A LOT of poo poo. I get that you didn't necessarily need to pick all of it up but it was a complete pain in the rear end after 20+ years of games where you just pick up ammo/health by walking over it (particularly with a controller, but a mouse didn't help much either).

And 10% of the stuff is secreted away in boxes you have to manually cut open, a gimmick that's neat in the first hour or two but pure tedium for the rest of the game.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
It's not a game, but my pet peeve is always Photoshop. I know they can't change it because it's become the industry standard and all of the old guard would flip their poo poo if they did, but good loving god the UI..

I can't begin to count all of the times when it just won't let me do something, without giving me any clues as to why I can't do it, or what I should do to be able to do that thing. Some options are just grayed out, and gently caress you. I can follow a guide or something but if that thing is still grayed out, then by Adobe gods it's going to stay that way and you're going to have to deal with it.

I imagine it's hard to wrap your head around how unimaginably bad Photoshop's UI is when you've Stockholm syndromed yourself to work with it for decades, but it's absolutely one of the worst I have do finagle with on the regular. Blender was probably another one, but by some miracle they completely turned it around and now Blender's UI is legitimately great, so who knows, maybe some day..

EDIT: And while I'm on a Photoshop rant, how is it even possible for an image editor to be so incredibly resource intensive, in TYOOL 2022? What is it even doing with all of the processing power it's sucking into it's maw, mining Bitcoin or something? I've actually ran out of memory by just trying to cut a part out of an image. This turns the entire image white, so have fun trying to precisely map out the part being cut without seeing the image itself.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 18, 2022

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
One time I was on Xbox live with low tax and I said the Xbox one not having party chat at launch was garbage and how we should have gotten PS4s instead and he told me to kill myself. Oh how the tables turn!!!!!!!

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006
any game with dialogue choices where your "advance to next line of text/fastforward glacial text scrolling" button is the exact same as the "select choice, final answer no confirm" button, including having dialogue options appear in the same place text is when you click inside the text box to advance, causing a misclick and instant bad decision that is irreversible without replaying the last half hour+ of content depending on how old the game is

can't remember the last game(s) it happened in but I have very hateful memories of having to exit and reload saves to fix an accidental choice I made while speed reading through long winded rpg dialogue, it's definitely been more than a few times

just thinking about this is making me deep salty, an extremely cursed design

have dialogue options either use a different button, have their own area separate from the "reading" panel, or confirm before any permanent decision for the love of god

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
When I'm making selections from a dialog menu, I drat well expect the character to express the dialog option I've selected verbatim. If I select "That sounds fantastic! Have a great day today!" I better loving not hear "yeah ok fine I guess" come out of the character's mouth.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Blankspace posted:

any game with dialogue choices where your "advance to next line of text/fastforward glacial text scrolling" button is the exact same as the "select choice, final answer no confirm" button,

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

makes a great Ugly Christmas Sweater

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
In Deus Ex: HR, save before you try out any radar upgrades. That little circle can turn into an unreadable writhing mass of lines and circles pretty danm quick. I don't know if they tweaked it in the sequel, I don't think I really checked.

E: that little rectangle, I haven't played in a while.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 20, 2022

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Hate to say it but Warhammer Total war 1 to 3 has a UI that is loving indecipherable.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Blankspace posted:

any game with dialogue choices where your "advance to next line of text/fastforward glacial text scrolling" button is the exact same as the "select choice, final answer no confirm" button, including having dialogue options appear in the same place text is when you click inside the text box to advance, causing a misclick and instant bad decision that is irreversible without replaying the last half hour+ of content depending on how old the game is

can't remember the last game(s) it happened in but I have very hateful memories of having to exit and reload saves to fix an accidental choice I made while speed reading through long winded rpg dialogue, it's definitely been more than a few times

just thinking about this is making me deep salty, an extremely cursed design

have dialogue options either use a different button, have their own area separate from the "reading" panel, or confirm before any permanent decision for the love of god

yesterday playing a game called Iron Something

press x to skip the sec ond half of this line of dialog without filling the text in
prees space to auto fill out sentences slowly

the first problem is games presume kindergarten level literacu

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

a console game with mouse cursor and the d pad does not do anything

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Pretty much every single game written for/on a console and then ported to PC. No Man's Sky is an excellent example of this.

There was one of the Battlefield games, in the screen for remapping controls every time you clicked on an action and then hit a key to remap it, it reset the mouse cursor to the center of the screen instead of leaving it where it was when you clicked. It took extra effort to include something so annoying and they did it anyway.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

What this doesn't show is you can only move the last card you've put on the board and that the hitbox for dragging cards back into your hand is finicky. What's so difficult about copying Hearthstone? Other games manage to do it just fine.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 21, 2022

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I love it when a console to PC port has you enter text, but requires you to use an onscreen keyboard instead of just typing directly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They used to have a whole API for forcing you to do that with games for windows live.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

gotham knight, an action game of some sort

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The non-functional AI was even worse than the interface but the interface alone was enough to make it virtually unplayable.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

this thread doesn't really work if you don't say what the game is

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

well why not posted:

Sorry, that one's so infamous that I didn't think it needed an introduction. Master of Orion III.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

When my friends had me try Apex with them a couple months ago, I needed help navigating the main menu because I didn't know how to look at my characters or even invite/join friends, which I thought was pretty bad.

I haven't played many modern shooters though, so maybe certain UI conventions went over my head.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Dragonball Fighers Z has a godawful multiplayer interface. Instead of just selecting quick match or finding a room or whatever, you're transported into a weird MMO game hub where you have to walk around and challenge people in 'circles' or whatever. Since it's on gamepass my friend and I started it up and could not figure out how we could fight each other. I had to look online and the method was so unnecessarily complicated (and to change characters you have to leave the match and remake the circle manually) that we just gave up and deleted the game.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

well why not posted:

Hey hey my picture has the game name right there, like all good games!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Original_Z posted:

I love it when a console to PC port has you enter text, but requires you to use an onscreen keyboard instead of just typing directly.

Holy poo poo, I just set up an online account with the Treasury so I can buy I-bonds, and after generating a strong password and storing it in my password locker, I get this:

And now my strong password isn't as secure because they ignore case. And god help you if you use the 'back' button in your browser:

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
That kind of makes sense as a way of defeating keyloggers. Makes less sense when you're naming a character in an RPG.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I just stick to default names for security.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Blue Labrador posted:

When my friends had me try Apex with them a couple months ago, I needed help navigating the main menu because I didn't know how to look at my characters or even invite/join friends, which I thought was pretty bad.

I haven't played many modern shooters though, so maybe certain UI conventions went over my head.

I don't think Alex's interface is terrible, but it's certainly not great. I have trouble remembering how to check my progress on the season passes / event screens.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

sticku yhis thread

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

press b to use secondary skill in combat
press b to cancel action in menu
no way to decouple
UI gets hosed up if you map a gamepad button to a keyboard key to fix this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mescal posted:

press b to use secondary skill in combat
press b to cancel action in menu
no way to decouple
UI gets hosed up if you map a gamepad button to a keyboard key to fix this

It should be legal to publicly stone the person who did this.