Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't care about the expansion. The balance or meta right now is a terrible and the new Battlegroups are meh. On the other hand, the reply feature is cool but should have came out during release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They're significantly more aggressive on the hardest difficulty in this current patch, and are annoyingly relentless with artillery/bomber strikes at least. I don't know if the AI actually recruits new companies and sics them on you though, just that they have a lot of sentry companies around the map that won't hesitate to start fights with you at least instead of just sitting there complacent.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gucci Loafers posted:

I don't care about the expansion. The balance or meta right now is a terrible

I mean you can see the winrates online and as of the last hotfix it's fairly even, maybe the closest it's ever been. The most egregious unit atm being that stupid DAK flaktruck. Also, one thing to note is that the battlegroups can also be bought with ingame currency (which makes the DLC pricing cost even more ridiculous imo)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm excited for a campaign overhaul but if there's still no camera mod for campaign I'll definitely get frustrated and quit halfway through.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'd like a campaign overhaul that makes the enemy more aggressive but I definitely would like the population penalty to be removed for emplacements if that happens. It would make things spammy but it's not really possible to defend a wider area otherwise.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
When I saw that you could buy the battlegroups for Merit, I had to go and reread the expansion pack announcement. Surely they couldn't be asking 17 bucks for... an Italian campaign company unit, and some cosmetics?

They would have been rightfully criticized for making the battlegroups only available through the expansion pack, but drat that is the weakest offering of content for $17.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
COH3's big update just hit, 'm sure Relic would like you to think it something of a relaunch. They've done a pass on pretty much all the visuals and it looks a lot less muddy now, especially since they've let up on that weird haze that was everywhere before. A huge amount of gameplay changes, including a revamp to the Italian campaign, and of course the DLC launched, complete with the questionable balance you've come to expect. There are some multiplayer desync issues going on that they'll hopefully fix shortly.

E:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JOOu5rE1xM

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 6, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mordja posted:

COH3's big update just hit, 'm sure Relic would like you to think it something of a relaunch. They've done a pass on pretty much all the visuals and it looks a lot less muddy now, especially since they've let up on that weird haze that was everywhere before. A huge amount of gameplay changes, including a revamp to the Italian campaign, and of course the DLC launched, complete with the questionable balance you've come to expect. There are some multiplayer desync issues going on that they'll hopefully fix shortly.

DLC stuff OP?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mentioned it earlier but I'm extremely wary of one specific change to the campaign; namely that they got rid of generic skirmish field battles between companies and it's all auto-resolve now. That's fuckin wild, man; I get why they might do it (reduce number of generic battles that feel like padding) but also I like those fights and getting to watch my companies level up, get more elite over time, and use those gains in a skirmish format. At least that's what it sounds like, because that also means the only battles left are pre-designed missions too, which are alright but I feel like they were throwing the baby out of the bathwater with that change.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I mentioned it earlier but I'm extremely wary of one specific change to the campaign; namely that they got rid of generic skirmish field battles between companies and it's all auto-resolve now. That's fuckin wild, man; I get why they might do it (reduce number of generic battles that feel like padding) but also I like those fights and getting to watch my companies level up, get more elite over time, and use those gains in a skirmish format. At least that's what it sounds like, because that also means the only battles left are pre-designed missions too, which are alright but I feel like they were throwing the baby out of the bathwater with that change.

I don't think they did this, they made a whole bunch of changes to skirmish battles in the patch notes.

"Campaign skirmishes now provide bonus starting resources and pre-built base buildings based on player and enemy Company veterancy level."

"Skirmish combats have been added to the cities of Pomigliano, Naples, Altavilla, Spinazzola, Bari, Altamura, Lesina, Lecura, Gaeta, and Aquino."

All that I can see is that they changed some of the auto resolve maths.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Did the first mission and no, they did take generic skirmishes between companies on the campaign map out but it's good to hear that they added skirmish battles to, from what I recognize in that list of names, every other town that did not have scenario fights designed for them. So those skirmishes got moved to towns instead, and I presume that you can defend them with a garrisoned company in order to have defensive skirmishes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MikeC posted:

DLC stuff OP?

I'm still trying to figure out how this changed the competitive multiplayer meta.

Wehrmacht is still stuck with having to straight to T2 to beat fast Stuarts or Greyhounds which also got a buff. Artillery especially mortars got stronger along with grenades but it does reward players who micro well. Coastal Reserves seem potentially OP especially in team games with all their aura buffs, emplacements and abilities. It's seem way too easy to spam their Costal Reserves getting early map control along with spamming barb wire and sandbags all over the place.

I guess we will see how things shake out. The graphical improvements along with the reply system are actually quite good. The game seems like it runs much smoother too but part of me feels like it's just so late. A lot of this should have been prioritized for the initial release.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Units using abilities are significantly more responsive and quick, the animations to throw grenades don't take stupidly long now and that's fantastic.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sounds like the finally got rid of that weird latency. It's good and all but goddamn it was never, ever in any of the other games and why did this take so drat long to fix?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Gucci Loafers posted:

I'The graphical improvements along with the reply system are actually quite good.

Wait......they finally have a replay system???

:vince:

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
Lots of stuff is responsive. Abililties and in some ways setup teams, vehicle acceleration is wild right now, a car in reverse go VROOOM
It feels like a very different game, might take a bit for a meta to settle

also at patch we finished our first 2 out of 6 multiplayer games without desync crash to desktop. maybe the servers were overloaded?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

There's a serious desync issue right now so much that ranked match making isn't recorded at the moment. I think the patch is good but I am kind of annoyed with the new BGs it's completely ruined the game balance. I doubt it'll be fixed before the holidays either which is some bad timing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The changes they have made to the campaign definately makes the match smoother; the default for engagements on the map is just an autoresolve damage balance which makes taking out roaming enemies less tedious. The graphical and other upgrades are really nice too.

I would say that buying the DLC is unnecessary unless you really want to support the game. I had assumed the new stuff was more than just two doctrines for MP and one for Campaign, but this is a case of "it really is just what it says on the box, it's just really expensive for what it is". The campaign doctrine doesn't really change the game at all, it's just British rangers.

I do like the new opening movie though, it's a good show but my favorite part is when the grizzled rangers are posting up to attack the german outpost and up rolls the most Tommy Tommy that every Tommied. They gave a transcriptionist a rifle and trench helmet and told him to go fight for king and country.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah if they took out skirmish entirely (which is what it sounded like from the preview streams I watched) I would be very annoyed but they just got moved to the smaller towns so that's fine

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The AI is a lot more aggressive overall now, both in campaign and in battle. I'm playing hard/hard and I've been struggling in some of the battles, partially because the AI gets cheat units as usual and I'm rusty, but also because the AI is willing to actually push points. The campaign is the same, the AI pushes your towns and companies more because it isn't a nightmare to skirmish with them every 30 seconds, but they also will suicidally send nearly 0 strength companies to die on one of your full strength companies for basically no reward.

The campaign does still suffer from a really tight population cap still. There's little reason to build more ships or planes when you're using your whole cap just to field enough companies to hold the map. Emplacements are a little bit more useful now that the enemy will actually go into them, but they are still pretty mid.

Imo if I were to tinker with the campaign then I would make it so that either there are a lot less AA guns or you had some other way to get recon into an area. Right now you send a recon plane over to sight in targets and it get shot at by 20 different AA guns. If you could get recon safer/easier then you could use bombers and ships to take out emplacements easier, which in turn could mean thar emplacements could deal a lot more damage and you could use them for actual solo defense significantly more.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 7, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
GGs earlier in the afternoon. Good to play with the COHBros again. Catch you guys again next time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MikeC posted:

GGs earlier in the afternoon. Good to play with the COHBros again. Catch you guys again next time.

What is this?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Gucci Loafers posted:

What is this?

There is a discord server run by a non goon. Will see if I can secure an invite.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://discord.gg/zYtURJfQpV

But behave.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I didn't realize it but I've been in there a for a while now but it seems pretty quiet. I'll make a note to check in more often from time to time.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It's a small group of regulars in there, just turn on notifications and keep an eye out for people messaging the channel to set up a party

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Gucci Loafers posted:

I didn't realize it but I've been in there a for a while now but it seems pretty quiet. I'll make a note to check in more often from time to time.

Just ping the discord if you want games. Worst case scenario, no one answers and after 5 minutes you queue whatever. If you are looking for 1 v 1 practice, hit me up.

I am reasonably impressed by the cumulative updates. 1 v 1 got a decent new map and the Taranto has had its terrible sectors reworked.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Costal BG is crazy OP especially with the arty officers ability. Completely free, accurate with a 20 sec cooldown. The rest of the abilities are pretty suss as well and DAK still has the 5 min flak truck.

On the other hand, the game performance is better and the new art direction is quite nice.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Man, I don't know how to play SSF anymore.

I used to open with Chaffee for Chaffee shenanigans and WSC skip thanks to its cheap weapon teams, then use SSF as a stopgap AT (that is also just an all-around excellent unit) while I tech up to tanks. Maybe cash out air-resupply for an AT gun (more comfortable WSC skip!) and fuel if I haven't spend too much munitions on sticky bombs and such. But now that gameplan feels a bit dated.

Chaffee doesn't seem that great compared to a humble Jeep these days, but the pak howitzer is fire. Still, going for it delay SSF Commandos even more and it was already pushing it a little timing-wise as an AT option. And one has to account for the instant acceleration Starcraft vehicles now. I saw people are going full left tree now, but idk, Whizbang (like Calliope in CoH 1) feels more like a nice lil' support unit rather something to beeline to carry your game.

I'm not complaining, mind you, I enjoy SSF for its overall gamefeel and need to come up with new excuses to not just pick Airborne instead.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been checking out vids of the Advanced Infantry Battlegroup and I'm kinda ticked they can't be used in campaign mode because holy poo poo they're so cool, they're pretty much SSF but Cooler

Screw the Weasel and Rocket Sherman, I want Rangers with 6 special weapons running and gunning with insane accuracy

Also they do a fussy thing by letting you upgrade your Scout squads into a more specialized version, same as Airborne Company. I know Scout squads are very useful, I just hate having them in my army for stupid and arbitrary reasons

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For those who have beaten the campaign, I have a question:

I've got timers for Monte Cassino and Anzio ticking down, and AFAIK these were pretty much the final big battles of the IRL Italian campaign. Am I correct in assuming that I'm actually about to finish the campaign? I'm nowhere near maxing out any of the three character's loyalties, and only have started to sweep up the Adriatic half of the map.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gucci Loafers posted:

The Costal BG is crazy OP especially with the arty officers ability. Completely free, accurate with a 20 sec cooldown. The rest of the abilities are pretty suss as well and DAK still has the 5 min flak truck.

On the other hand, the game performance is better and the new art direction is quite nice.
*gurgles painfully in ukf*

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Relic just did a big stream for the April patch. New BG tech trees:

The new DAK group is all about improbable amounts of stealth and will either be very good or very bad depending on the player, the new UKF one is pretty much leftovers from the Nazi campaign, but still very welcome.

Also coming in the patch: three new maps, map veto, surrender vote, various pathfinding improvements.

E: Should be noted that these two BGS will be completely free, at least on launch.

In other news, I've finally been playing the Italian campaign and I think it's a lot of fun. Not sure *exactly* what changed between now and launch, though I understand it's much less of a slog.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
News: https://x.com/relicgames/status/1773244490171458017?s=20

Considering how badly CoH3 fared and the whole CA thing with Hyenas and it bleeding into WH3, I was somewhat expecting bad news from Relic first. But that expectation was that they would be shuttered, so if anything I guess everyone got out of this as best as they could?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Well it keeps the doors open in the short term. I'm more curious who's the external investor who was like "you know who's a sure bet? Relic Entertainment."

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Janissary Hop posted:

Well it keeps the doors open in the short term. I'm more curious who's the external investor who was like "you know who's a sure bet? Relic Entertainment."

Booby Cottage

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I keep trying this game and I had an alright time doing the campaigns but the game just isn’t that good. They tried to please everyone and it’s just a middling game.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Brit emplacements are back
Goliaths are back
Firestorm is back
Stealth battlegroup too
poo poo is dope.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I should call my cohbro that loves to blob US infantry and introduce him to some goliaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Det_no posted:

Brit emplacements are back.

:lol