Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah I thought All-Stars was too imbalanced in more ways than one, so I'd have it in the lower half of my Aus rankings personally but it had its good parts too.

Murmur Twin posted:

e23: Welp, I was half-right. I knew that Raymond had no chance from the edit but I still really enjoyed him as a character.

I'm looking forward to the finale, I'm rooting for Feras but strongly suspect that voting out Kirby at 5 is going to sink him.

e23 At a certain point you can see the players all kind of start talking like there's a F2, which of course we now know there is. I wonder when exactly they knew that because it definitely changes the calculations re: keeping Kirby.

Everything about bringing along Kirby, or not, is tricky. First, can you be 100% sure, like really sure, that you won't get knocked out while you play your idol on her? Second, can you rely on her taking you F2 no matter what? It honestly seemed like it, but she could always change her mind like if she won immunity at F3. Third, is there any way to beat her at F2, and if not, can you count on knocking her out at F3?

Also, if you imagine Mark still winning his second immunity in a row here, Caroline is already gone in this scenario from the idol on Kirby, so you either vote Kirby out now anyway or you still sacrifice Raymond here. Even if Raymond would've gone F2 with Feras, he also feels the least likely to win the FIC and have any say in the matter so I'm not sure how much that's worth... I actually think Feras is the favorite to finally win his individual immunity here at F3 by the way. I seem to recall him being the best of those remaining at endurance... If he does it, it'll have been perfectly managed as it is. It was increidble seeing him get zero votes here and instead Raymond of all people to go out! This was a really dynamic episode and I liked it a lot. Season is still firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

finale speculation How much better i wonder will i and others feel about this season if Feras wins versus if Mark or Caroline wins? I think a Feras win will really cement it in that top 5 of all time anywhere status... and like I said, I think he's the favorite still with the final challenge. Even more than that I feel like Caroline has at times had a negative edit and Mark's edit was quiet for most of the merge up until really recently. If I'm speculating off edits I think Mark gets voted out at 3 and Feras claims the win. I'm sure he'll beat Caroline even though i expect the jury will come with some heat for him after these last few rounds. Should be good!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

Survivor AU's All Star season is a strange one. It has by far their best cast but the imbalanced editing means that quite a few folks who were stars of their seasons are relegated to background noise (AK!!!). And there's not a ton of interesting strategy either, except for a few players livening up the place.

It's probably fair, the All Stars was still when a lot of the cast was figuring out Survivor. I think you could argue their All Stars season was done way too early with only 4 seasons of castaways prior. AK was cool, but was an early (ish) boot in both his seasons, so easy to see why he didn't get as much of an edit as others. But I'm a bit biased as I think David is easily a top 10 Survivor player from all the versions.

Also there might be just some nostalgia bias since I still have never rewatched a season of Australian Survivor.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

finale speculation How much better i wonder will i and others feel about this season if Feras wins versus if Mark or Caroline wins? I think a Feras win will really cement it in that top 5 of all time anywhere status... and like I said, I think he's the favorite still with the final challenge. Even more than that I feel like Caroline has at times had a negative edit and Mark's edit was quiet for most of the merge up until really recently. If I'm speculating off edits I think Mark gets voted out at 3 and Feras claims the win. I'm sure he'll beat Caroline even though i expect the jury will come with some heat for him after these last few rounds. Should be good!

Also finale speculation...I honestly think it's fine if Feras or Mark win the game and they both have an easy win over Caroline. Feras is the better winner for sure, but Mark played a good social game and would be a deserving winner as well. I really don't think Caroline has any chance at winning the game, although she'll get Kitty's vote. Mark & Feras both played more strategic games and I think they are comparable for their social games vs. Caroline.

I really don't think the jury is going to question or come down on Feras for voting off Kirby at final 5 instead of playing the idol for her. I don't think there's anyone on the jury that would suggest they wouldn't have voted for Kirby to win in the final 2, so why would they hold it against Feras for getting rid of her when he had the chance? And probably more importantly, I don't see Kirby being a bitter juror over it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ep 23: Raymond’s jury villa video was bonkers. I wish more of that had made the edit.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ep 24... Kind of disappointed they didn't make that wheel just constantly turning or some other nonsense. Still was a fun final challenge IMO. Pretty much as everyone hoped for the finale I think, surprised Kitty didn't at least give Caroline a vote at the end though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

e23-24 i was thinking how that F4 vote was so interesting, that Feras drifted back to sticking with Raymond because he didn't feel secure that he could trust the other two and was worried about getting 2-1-1'd out, and they also didn't trust him in large part because of reading him, which was fueled by him distrusting them, like distrust bouncing back and forth between mirrors, but it's just sort of like a show of how hard it is to not stick with your tight ally. Who btw in Raymond definitely obviously should've just voted Feras out but easier said than done and I like that we don't just get these automatic soulless players

Australian Survivor loves making the FIC look like a medieval torture device don't they? that's cool. I was thinking during it when Mark went out that there's actually a good case for Caroline to vote out Mark if she's immune. Finish your battle with him, claim all the Titan votes or so you hope. I jotted down at the time: "I think she loses either way and Feras is the tougher opponent but the argument is there, kinda weird where I think she gets more votes vs Feras even though she's probably more likely to lose to Feras? idk" Anyway she got zero votes so I was wrong but oh well, i got my edit read after last episode down to a T, from 3 to 2 to 1 to the tough jury.

A+ season. theyve done it again

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Almost certainly my favorite season of Australian Survivor, great job all round. Great cast, and no non-elims anywhere near the finals. I'm very happy for Feras, although I have to admit I was actually pulling for Mark there, just since I started the season rooting for him. Obviously the edit retroactively focuses on people who make it far, but this really did feel unusual in some of the biggest players making it to the last week.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't know how premeditated it was because I think really Kirby and Feras were just sort of drawn to each other, but in a way it was an evolution of the game beyond the US meta which seems to often go "target threat target threat target threat target threat whoops all goats left." I guess it's not that new though as Tony was doing the "lions hyenas" thing back on s40. But yeah a huge argument against the "lets take bhanu all the way to the end lol!" line of thinking. I guess you gotta pin the US state on the fact that even the goofball characters kind of know the game enough to know they need to take out their bigger partners, theres no rianna or raymond who, by day 50 or whatever, is never gonna turn

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 20, 2024

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

I don't know how premeditated it was because I think really Kirby and Feras were just sort of drawn to each other, but in a way it was an evolution of the game beyond the US meta which seems to often go "target threat target threat target threat target threat whoops all goats left." I guess it's not that new though as Tony was doing the "lions hyenas" thing back on s40. But yeah a huge argument against the "lets take bhanu all the way to the end lol!" line of thinking. I guess you gotta pin the US state on the fact that even the goofball characters kind of know the game enough to know they need to take out their bigger partners, theres no rianna or raymond who, by day 50 or whatever, is never gonna turn

Final spoilers...

I think Raymond might have had a shot to win the game, especially if he had flipped and taken out Feras at some point before the end. He played a pretty obviously good social game to the point he faked wanting to go home and blindsided Valeria... And nobody seemed really that upset with him after he played their heart strings for like a day pretending to be sad and depressed.

There does seem to be a bit of a trend with Australian Survivor where the shot callers end up going after each others pawns instead of directly targeting each other. Feras seemed to sum the strategy up pretty well I think though with him using Kirby to keep multiple big threats in the game.

Also curious in general at what point to just skip the CIA poo poo and accept if someone is reading the thread after the show ended, they gonna get spoilers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Earlier wheb there were 3 episodes coming out in a row and in a foreign time zone I might be able to click in here while an episode behind and not get spoiled. Read the comments on the specific episodes I’d seen. Idk now that it’s over though