Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sure but portable is the one I played at uni while screwing around so that's the one I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

coconono posted:

so I wasn't the only person that kept getting hosed on the last few missions?

You were not, no, A Portable's endgame is absolutely notorious and also it punishes you for playing it like a normal SRW.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
A Portable definitely had some pretty cursed strats from what I can remember, like "you are going to have to know to move this unit to this exact spot on this stage ahead of time, unless you want Don Zauser to be almost unstoppable because that one tile he spawns on has regen and armor"

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

I'd much, much rather they do the original, instead. MXP is. Not good.

Counterpoint: that's why MXP needs a balance patch, while the original wouldn't.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

MightyPretenders posted:

Counterpoint: that's why MXP needs a balance patch, while the original wouldn't.

Oh, right, I was thinking more the translation than the balance patch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MightyPretenders posted:

MXP functionally already is a balance patch, since it doesn't make big system changes like AP does. The original MX was very easy, so when porting it to PSP they tried to make it more challenging...by simply stapling a shitload of HP to everything in the game and not really changing or adjusting anything else. This created a game that was still very easy but was now extremely sloggy and tedious to play.

You could improve the experience immensely by simply reverting enemy HP totals back to their original values.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

MechaX posted:

A Portable definitely had some pretty cursed strats from what I can remember, like "you are going to have to know to move this unit to this exact spot on this stage ahead of time, unless you want Don Zauser to be almost unstoppable because that one tile he spawns on has regen and armor"

That and the bizarre level curve - there are tons of fleeing bosses in the first 5 stages, and because both enemy levels and the levels of newly recruited units scale to the average of your 15 highest leveled pilots, failing to kill them means your team's levels will be *significantly* depressed in a way that will persist through the entire game.

Also in general the biggest stumbling block for experienced players is that basically the only things worth upgrading in vanilla A Portable are EN (for units that use it) and weapons (because weapon upgrades in AP are way more powerful than any other game in the entire series and absurdly cheap) - other stats aren't really worth bothering with because FUBs are essentially unattainable with how expensive they are. Seriously, most units can gain something ridiculous like +800-950 power on all their attacks for 70k funds, it's absolutely insane.

The balance patch makes FUBs dramatically more attainable, but it doesn't actually change the value of upgrades in a general sense; I still wouldn't really bother investing much in HP/mobility/armor on units you don't plan to FUB (and you can still only really afford a few FUBs, but that's better than affording zero).

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Endorph posted:

oh yeah nichol and tolle are completely justified uses of excessive violence imo. the main one that sticks out to me are the random astray girls that just show up to get turbomurdered and nobody cares.

except people who read the astray manga and had seen them actually do stuff, who were annoyed.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'm halfway through AP and while I wouldn't consider it a difficult game it really is a slog. Has anyone played the balance patch? How is it?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

I'm halfway through AP and while I wouldn't consider it a difficult game it really is a slog. Has anyone played the balance patch? How is it?

I'd like to hear this too, I'm likely to pick it up after I finished replaying @G and W.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

challenge accepted. I'll load it up on my Retroid Flip and report back.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
It's a little less of a slog than vanilla because you miss less often, but major revisions to enemies were out of scope for the first release (which was intended to be "like vanilla, but with less tedium") - the only enemies that were changed were bosses in the first 7 maps or thereabouts, playable characters who appear as enemies who use the same unit data as their playable version, and Don Zauther so he doesn't brick runs. This means that the lategame is still sometimes a slog because lategame enemies just have way too much HP.

There is a 2.0 version being worked on still which will have extensive enemy changes to make it even less of a slog, but I couldn't give you an ETA on when that's coming.

There's also a 1.1 version of the rebalance patch which should be coming very soon to address a few bugs that have been identified post-release.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah that falls in line with my run so far. I haven't maxed out my money cheatin yet but I've had way less unit deaths. You still gotta use all the SP to clear a map.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
For what it's worth, these are the *known* issues/bugs in 1.0 that I'm aware of as of this writing:
  • Axel's skill progression is a little screwed up (he gets illegal levels of support attack and less Prevail than intended)
  • Kochoki and Allenby have incorrect ace bonuses; Kochoki's will definitely be fixed, but Allenby's "wrong" bonus is interesting enough that it might get kept intentionally
  • Domon's combo attacks with Master Asia have wrong (too weak) power values when he initiates them (they're correct from Master Asia's side)
  • Kaine's combo attack with Meio has a slightly wrong power value when Meio initiates it
  • Cardboardler V or whatever it's called (Kerot's altform unlocked with FUB) has the wrong power on its finisher

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Reiska posted:

[*]Kochoki and Allenby have incorrect ace bonuses; Kochoki's will definitely be fixed, but Allenby's "wrong" bonus is interesting enough that it might get kept intentionally

What’s Allenby’s ‘wrong’ (and right) ace bonuses? I haven’t played the patch at all but I’m curious.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Prism posted:

What’s Allenby’s ‘wrong’ (and right) ace bonuses? I haven’t played the patch at all but I’m curious.

Allenby's bonus was intended to be the same as vanilla (+10 starting will and +30 max SP); somehow it was accidentally changed to match Four's ace bonus (reduces her Enable from 80 to 50 SP).

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I beat AP. I wouldn't say it's an easy game, but I don't think it's particularly hard for the most part. The only fight that ended up giving me trouble was the final boss. Outside of the first ~10 maps, most of the game was just slowly chewing through the massive piles of HP that enemies are from the midgame on. There's definitely a correct way of playing AP and once you find that out, which units to use, and how to spend your upgrade money, you're golden.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
More or less accurate, yeah. One thing I'm finding on my replay is that a lot of the secret sauce is actually just "give Combattler and Voltes as many boss kills as possible" because the two of them together account for half of your level average by themselves.

On that note, the 1.1 update for the AP Plus rebalance patch has been posted on the SRW subreddit. For those wondering why it's not on RHDN the short version is because RHDN's categorization system sucks and under RHDN's site policy it's impossible to put it in the correct category for search purposes. (The long version is: Because the mod is patched against the fan translation and not the original Japanese data, RHDN classifies it as a "translation addendum" - which goes into the translations category of the site instead of the hacks section. Because of technical details with the way the fan translation was programmed, it's impossible to make a single patch which works on both the original Japanese version and the fan translation - the translation repointed all the unit data to another location to be able to expand names and stuff.)

Short version of 1.1 changes for people already playing 1.0:
  • All the bugs I listed a few posts ago are fixed; Allenby was given her vanilla ace bonus back by the way.
  • Fa and Rain don't have garbage will gains anymore, they got switched to 'Normal' personality (this means they now gain will when they hit enemies, no longer lose it when they miss, and gain more will when they kill something).
  • Kamille, Fa, Amuro, Rain, Allenby, Heero, Kaine, Tapp, Meio, Tetsuya, Sayaka, Tekkoki, Akito, Ryoko, and Axel all got minor buffs of some sort, generally a spirit or two having its cost reduced by 5.
  • Lalah got a bit bigger of a buff to make her secret more valuable (a couple cheaper spirits and +10 base SP).
  • Kaine's Spirit got swapped out for Fortitude, Risa's Detonate got swapped out for Strike, Sayaka learns Bless much earlier now, and Yurika's Luck got swapped out for Devotion.
  • Sayaka, Jun, Jack, and Miyuki got their Space ranks bumped up to A so they aren't useless at endgame.
  • Dragonar-1, Minerva X, Great Mazinger, Soulgain, Aschenretter, and Razangriff all got some small buffs in various places. Shin Getter 2 got nerfed slightly.
  • You can now make Noin pilot UC units (and UC pilots can now pilot the Taurus). This was a change being tested for the eventual 2.0 patch that got left in by mistake and was decided to be left in because it's fun.
  • Akatsuki now has innate Hit & Away if you start a new game (sorry, there's no way to make this apply retroactively, base skill sets are initialized on new game).
  • Despite the above note, you don't need to start a new game to fix Axel's skill levels, those will update themselves fine.